Maia by Submission 70% (43)
Maia by Decision 5% (3)
Macdonald by (T)KO 11% (7)
Macdonald by Submission 7% (4)
Macdonald by Decision 5% (3)
GrizzlyChadams
8/2/08 2:43:41PM
Who do you think will win and how?

I don't see Maia winning, but i'm a little biased considering i'm a big fan of Macdonald. Maia is very dangerous on the ground but so is Mcdonald except he has great striking as well which is where i think he'll hope to keep it.
Rabi
8/2/08 2:44:57PM
I think Maia will win via sub in round 2. Gonna be a great fight IMO.
Twenty20Dollars
8/2/08 2:50:37PM
Macdonald doesnt have great striking. Maia will prolly lose the first round, second round they will end up on the ground where maia will lock in a submission.

plus i need maia to win he is in my parlay
mikevolz
8/2/08 4:23:29PM
maia's takedowns and his punches aren't that great, and his cardio isn't at the level it should be. and he doesn't use his ju-jitsu to throw strikes.

he does have phenomenal ju-jitsu, amazing leglock transitions and good kicks.

I think he lacks the athleticism for his take downs. And macdonald will punish him, stuff the shot and hurt him in transitions.

the only if, is if maia gets macdonald on the ground and gets a dominant position, then its over. but thats a tall order.
Ordep
8/2/08 4:31:07PM
I dont know much about Maia's recent training regime, but I'm sure he knows harder match-ups await for him every time he wins so I think he'll start showing improvement in the other disciplines, specially striking, en route to take his fights to the ground and finish them...

Maia, sub 1st Rd
Gipper
8/2/08 6:01:34PM
i think macdonald can win this. maia is unreal on the ground but he doesn't have anything macdonald hasn't seen in his own bjj training. jason trains under professor josh russell a gracie barra black belt- first canadian to recieve his black belt from master carlos gracie gracie jr. himself. macdonald will be prepared.
nickcuc547
8/2/08 6:14:02PM
i like maia but macdonald has a great chance, he is a much bigger and stronger fighter with a similar style, plus his striking is better.
copcopps
8/2/08 8:39:01PM
totally agree with you he got lucky against Doerkson
hotrodttt
8/2/08 11:43:55PM
I don't give Jason much of a chance against Maia, his Submission Defense is Bad for being a Submission Fighter and that's the wrong Fight against an ADCC Champ. Maia via 1st Round Submission
chitown97
8/3/08 12:10:43PM
Maia third round submission. I think he will get peppered by McDonald on the feet for the first round. Second round will eventually go to the ground with Maia on his back but McDonald won't be able finish and his BJJ is good enough to not get subbed from the guard. Third round though, Maia will have something up his sleeve and sink in a submission. Great fight though regardless of the turnout, should be a good chess match.
Pitbull09
8/3/08 2:20:23PM
This is prob one of the closer picks of the ppv. I say Maia 2nd round sub

I have him in my parlay too so I really hope he doesnt get Ko'ed
gsquat
8/3/08 2:21:33PM
Not ignoring the fact that he took a beating in the Herman fight, I'm going with Maia R1 Sub.
mrkennedy
8/3/08 3:39:17PM
Maia Round 2 sub
bls1919
8/3/08 9:19:01PM
To me Jason Macdonald is a gatekeeper for 185. Even though he doesnt have a lot of fights. His stand up is average, his ground game is good(not near Maia's). I see Maia taking this one in the 2nd with a triangle.
Mayhem13
8/3/08 11:38:21PM
if by great striking you mean, slightly below average..then I agree..

and Jason does have a good ground game, but no where near the level that Maia is at..

kaduey
8/5/08 2:55:46PM

Posted by Gipper

i think macdonald can win this. maia is unreal on the ground but he doesn't have anything macdonald hasn't seen in his own bjj training. jason trains under professor josh russell a gracie barra black belt- first canadian to recieve his black belt from master carlos gracie gracie jr. himself. macdonald will be prepared.

Coming from a guy who lives in Red Deer. You're probably the president of Macdonald's fan club.