Maia's Chances

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Maia's Chances
chickmagnet
2/25/10 12:35:31AM
What are the odds here. If Silva over commits to a strike Maia might be able to take him down. If he does, Maia can without a doubt sub him. Its a big big IF. I would like to see how Silva does on the ground with Maia.

Thoughts??
warglory
2/25/10 1:03:24AM

Posted by chickmagnet

What are the odds here. If Silva over commits to a strike Maia might be able to take him down. If he does, Maia can without a doubt sub him. Its a big big IF. I would like to see how Silva does on the ground with Maia.

Thoughts??

Without a doubt? Remember the battle that Maia had with Jason MacDonald. Yes Demian has submitted some really good fighters, but it's definitely not a shoe in.
rcg916
2/25/10 1:23:49AM
I think Maia has the best chance to beat Silva of anyone in the UFC. It's still a long shot, but if Lutter could put Anderson into trouble with his top game (before he gassed), Maia has a good of chance of doing that as well.
Mchubb316
2/25/10 1:24:51AM
The odds are stacked against Maia. Silva is a far more superior striker, has very good takedown defense, is more than capable of handling himself on the ground, from all positions.
In my opinion Maia's only chance to survive more than 2 rounds is to somehow get Silva to the ground and control him. Sooner or Later Silva will get his chance and Maia will be knocked out.
seanfu
2/25/10 3:23:03AM
Honestly, before the Marquardt fight I would give Maia a significant chance, but after him going through the mental trauma of that and having a much less aggressive tentative unimpressive comeback fight I can only really see a stall and brawl.

MiniMan
2/25/10 3:52:03AM
IMO, I see Maia pulling guard. How he gets that close is another story, Anderson has to be a MAJOR favorite but, IF Maia can not get KO'ed and pull guard, We might have a new champ. He isnt going to even try and strike with Anderson...
State_Champ
2/25/10 10:29:20AM

Posted by chickmagnet

Thoughts??

Sure. There is not a doubt in my mind that Maia can submit Anderson Silva....Not sure if he will, but it could happen.
Honestly, I would like to see Silva demolish Maia with a (T)KO. I'd like to think Anderson will (T)KO Maia, but I thought he would (T)KO Thales Leites, and we all know how that turned out.
sbulldavid
2/25/10 11:50:22AM
Maia has a chance, but ever since the Lutter fight he does the Liddel thing and keeps it standing.
bjj1605
2/25/10 4:11:26PM
Maia has a really good shot in this fight. If he goes back to his fight strategy before he fought Marquardt. He used to shoot/pull guard over and over until he got the fight to the ground. Screw that striking crap, right?

If he spends more than a minute on the feet with anderson (and that's being generous) he'll get knocked out. He needs to try aggressively and non-stop to get this fight down. If he does, he can submit anderson.
TheBestEVER
2/25/10 4:23:50PM
After seeing what Nate did to Maia im giving him about a 10% chance of winning this fight. Anderson has the best striking in MMA and Maia could not have possibly improved his striking enough since the fight with Nate to stand up with Silva. Yes, if somehow he gets Anderson to the ground he could submit him, but sadly for Damian all fights start standing, and thats exactly where it will end early. 1st round KO Anderson
mkiv9secsupra
2/25/10 6:00:35PM
Looks like im the black sheep on this. Even IF Maia gets it to the ground i dont think he will be able to submit Anderson. Anderson trains regularly with some of MMAs best grapplers. Im not saying Anderson is the better BJJ practitioner but Anderson should be able to hold off Maia enough not to be submitted
prozacnation1978
2/25/10 6:04:59PM
think of it this way
he couldn't even sub dan miller
what do you think silva will do to him!!!
marcoDGK
2/25/10 7:50:29PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Looks like im the black sheep on this. Even IF Maia gets it to the ground i dont think he will be able to submit Anderson. Anderson trains regularly with some of MMAs best grapplers. Im not saying Anderson is the better BJJ practitioner but Anderson should be able to hold off Maia enough not to be submitted

I agree with you also. I think Maia just got thrown in the mix because they need someone to fight Anderson. It's the first fight in Abu dhabi they need to make it big/put on all the big names they have. instead of postponing the fight they just threw the first guy they had in the mix.

I think like every fighter in every fight... he has a chance. Let's hope Anderson underestimates him and it turns inot an exciting fight.
Mchubb316
2/25/10 8:07:24PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

That makes 2 black sheep then. I don't see Maia submitting Silva either. Well said.
bjj1605
2/26/10 1:37:37AM

Posted by prozacnation1978

think of it this way
he couldn't even sub dan miller
what do you think silva will do to him!!!

Thats because Maia didn't take miller down until they had already been striking for a while. Both guys were sweaty and a little fatigued. He needs to get it down early and if he doesn't get him down in the first round I think his chances drop to about zero. But if he comes out and wastes no time trying to strike he'll have a legit shot.