Does Maia Have A Chance?

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Does Maia Have A Chance?
POLL: Who will win the middleweight title at UFC 112?
Demian Maia 14% (10)
Anderson Silva 86% (59)
miphi1991
4/5/10 3:29:07PM
Does Maia Have A Chance?

Anderson Silva.

The Spider carries a perfect 10-0 octagon record with him to his middleweight title defense this Saturday at UFC 112. He also has a 25-4 record overall, with 15 of his fights coming by way of KO/TKO. Silva has not lost an MMA fight in nearly five years, and many, including UFC President Dana White, rank him as the top pound for pound fighter in the world.
MaxOne
4/5/10 4:02:13PM
It's hard to imagine Maia winning this. Sonnen is a more interesting match up for me because of his wrestling but both upsets and domination can be entertaining so i'm looking fwd to this either way.
tcunningham
4/5/10 4:47:51PM
i think maia has a chance but its almost to small to see. i really think that sonnen has a chance if he gets AS on the ground and keeps him there. maia on the other hand will get rocked early, then finished.
sbulldavid
4/5/10 4:55:59PM
This is going to either look like Silva/Leites or Marquardt/Maia. I'm pulling for Maia, but Sonnen or Belfort have better shots of ending Silva's reign.
MaxOne
4/5/10 5:05:00PM
way more interested in the belfort match up but i'd love for Vitor to have a few fights first. it's hard to argue against him getting the match up when he's the only other guy to destroy franklin like that besides silva (& machida)
State_Champ
4/5/10 5:21:01PM

Posted by MaxOne

way more interested in the belfort match up but i'd love for Vitor to have a few fights first but it's hard to argue against him getting the match up when he's the only other guy to destroy franklin like that besides silva (& machida)

It's funny that you're more interested in the Belfort match-up because I feel the opposite...
I think Maia little chance on the feet, but Maia has got a decent chance to beat Anderson if he can take Anderson down and land in half-guard or side-control (keep in mind that thus far in the UFC Anderson has been taken down by those who tried).
On the other hand, Belfort, in my mind, has little chance of subbing Anderson and little chance out-striking him too.
Aether
4/5/10 5:24:20PM
"a chance" is pretty relative. There's "a chance" that Anderson slips on the logo and suffers an injury, is it a reasonable chance? There's a pretty tiny chance of Maia pulling some kind of submission of ala chonan heelhook, but it's very tiny IMO.
MisterFreeze
4/5/10 5:24:28PM
Honestly, Maia has no chance. Not even a punchers chance. Thats just how good Anderson Silva is. Either a first round KO, or a 5 round bore fest with Maia running away. (Doubt Maia will run away though)
thepitbull00
4/5/10 5:29:58PM
I think Maia may have a flying-armbar's-chance-in-hell but I don't see him taking the title away from Silva.
tepid55
4/5/10 5:34:28PM
I see Silva winning by either RD 1 KO/TKO or a boring UD.
MaxOne
4/5/10 5:38:21PM

Posted by State_Champ

Posted by MaxOne

way more interested in the belfort match up but i'd love for Vitor to have a few fights first but it's hard to argue against him getting the match up when he's the only other guy to destroy franklin like that besides silva (& machida)

It's funny that you're more interested in the Belfort match-up because I feel the opposite...
I think Maia little chance on the feet, but Maia has got a decent chance to beat Anderson if he can take Anderson down and land in half-guard or side-control (keep in mind that thus far in the UFC Anderson has been taken down by those who tried).
On the other hand, Belfort, in my mind, has little chance of subbing Anderson and little chance out-striking him too.

i hope Maia makes it competitive. i'm all for it. If any of these guys has a punchers chance it's Vitor IMO but i could see him burning out early too.
bjj1605
4/5/10 7:05:33PM
I think Maia has a hell of a lot better chance than Sonnen or Belfort. Belfort will strike with anderson, and while he's good standing, anderson is better. Sonnen has good wrestling but not enough skills on the ground to do anything to anderson once it hits the ground. Sonnen vs Anderson might be like Anderson vs Henderson. I could see sonnen taking him down but anderson would find a way to sweep, submit or standup and eventually win the fight.

Maia is intriguing for many reasons. First, his takedowns are as good as Chael Sonnens. I know thats a heavy statement, but if you look at his fights in the UFC its definitely true. He might not have as good of a double leg takedown, but his throws and guard pulling skills make him equally adept at getting this fight to the ground. Second, he is the most dangerous submission guy in the division, probably in the sport. He is to the ground game what anderson is to the standup game. Anderson may have a black belt, but he is worlds away from Demian on the mat. And lastly, he is aggressive. I could never see Maia flopping around for five rounds the way Leites did. He will go an go and go, until he either gets knocked out, or the fight ends up in his realm.

I'm picking Anderson, but I think Demian has a hell of a lot better shot than people are giving him credit for.
bojangalz
4/5/10 7:15:32PM
100%
amicali
4/5/10 7:15:47PM
this post is dumb btw, can't believe no one has commented on this... I'm about to start posting opinions on my facebook and linking these articles there
MaxOne
4/5/10 7:40:33PM
more and more folks that think Maia has a decent chance. i'd love to see an upset.
Giant_Ochai
4/5/10 8:13:13PM

Posted by amicali

this post is dumb btw, can't believe no one has commented on this... I'm about to start posting opinions on my facebook and linking these articles there

I agree. Blog posts should not count as news.
miphi1991
4/5/10 8:36:48PM

Posted by Giant_Ochai

Posted by amicali

No opinions, just facts and information related to the upcoming middleweight title fight.
Giant_Ochai
4/5/10 9:05:05PM

Posted by miphi1991

Posted by Giant_Ochai

Posted by amicali

No opinions, just facts and information related to the upcoming middleweight title fight.

None of it is news.
miphi1991
4/5/10 9:10:02PM

Posted by Giant_Ochai

Posted by miphi1991

Posted by Giant_Ochai

Posted by amicali

None of it is news.

It an informative article on the upcoming fight and provides a deeper look at the two participants; explain to me how that is not news? It may not be a breaking headline but it is news.
Sir_Karl
4/5/10 10:25:12PM
I think Maia does have an eency weency microscopic chance as I think he could submit Anderson Silva if he got him in the right predicament. The bad part is...I think it will be impossible for him to get Anderson in that "right predicament". People seem to forget that Silva is no joke on the ground. He has been submitted before but that was a while ago (2003 and 2004). I think Maia will lose in RD 1 or 2 by KO or TKO. Personally I think in the UFC Sonnen has the best chance at beating Silva...and I would only give him a about a 10% chance. I would like to see what Gegard Mousasi could do against Anderson. I might give Gegard a 30% or 40% chance of winning. He might be able to ring his bell. We have yet to see Anderson get hit hard and flush. Does Maia have a chance? I don't think so. The guy who eventually beats Silva will have to be an expert tactician at every area of MMA. I don't think Maia is at that level. I think the key to beating Silva might be KO...but you need to be able to withstand a few of his attacks, Cote took a punch, a kick and a knee right to the face and didn't buckle. Too bad that Bud Light logo caused the end of the fight and injured Patrick's already injured leg. I am afraid Maia is toast.
bjj1605
4/5/10 10:57:48PM

Posted by Sir_Karl

I think Maia does have an eency weency microscopic chance as I think he could submit Anderson Silva if he got him in the right predicament. The bad part is...I think it will be impossible for him to get Anderson in that "right predicament". People seem to forget that Silva is no joke on the ground. He has been submitted before but that was a while ago (2003 and 2004). I think Maia will lose in RD 1 or 2 by KO or TKO. Personally I think in the UFC Sonnen has the best chance at beating Silva...and I would only give him a about a 10% chance. I would like to see what Gegard Mousasi could do against Anderson. I might give Gegard a 30% or 40% chance of winning. He might be able to ring his bell. We have yet to see Anderson get hit hard and flush. Does Maia have a chance? I don't think so. The guy who eventually beats Silva will have to be an expert tactician at every area of MMA. I don't think Maia is at that level. I think the key to beating Silva might be KO...but you need to be able to withstand a few of his attacks, Cote took a punch, a kick and a knee right to the face and didn't buckle. Too bad that Bud Light logo caused the end of the fight and injured Patrick's already injured leg. I am afraid Maia is toast.

I cannot stand when people say that a bud light logo or a random injury ended that fight. Anderson delivered a straight kick into Patrick's knee in the second round. I know there are gifs of it but I can't find one so if anyone could help me out I'd greatly appreciate it.

Anderson kicked his knee in, tore it, and that cause it to give out in the next round. It's as legitimate of a TKO as any strike that stops a fight. Patrick Cote admits it himself link
State_Champ
4/5/10 11:36:51PM

Posted by bjj1605

I cannot stand when people say that a bud light logo or a random injury ended that fight. Anderson delivered a straight kick into Patrick's knee in the second round. I know there are gifs of it but I can't find one so if anyone could help me out I'd greatly appreciate it.

Anderson kicked his knee in, tore it, and that cause it to give out in the next round. It's as legitimate of a TKO as any strike that stops a fight. Patrick Cote admits it himself link

Actually Cote didn't say Anderson kicked his knee in....
"Patrick Cote's chance to pull off a huge upset went up in smoke a few minutes prior to his crumpling to the mat early in the third round against Anderson Silva. The Predator' said he felt the right knee pop when he delivered a kick in the previous round. Between rounds, he told his trainer Mark Dellagrotte that he couldn't kick anymore."
I got that from the link you posted.
Just sayin'
RearNakedJoke
4/5/10 11:50:00PM
this isnt news, its a blog. these "articles" should be posted in the ufc forum.

bjj1605
4/6/10 2:43:51AM

Posted by State_Champ

"Patrick Cote's chance to pull off a huge upset went up in smoke a few minutes prior to his crumpling to the mat early in the third round against Anderson Silva. The Predator' said he felt the right knee pop when he delivered a kick in the previous round. Between rounds, he told his trainer Mark Dellagrotte that he couldn't kick anymore."
Just sayin'

Sounds pretty much like exactly what I said. He kicked his knee in. It's the same thing to say he felt a pop after anderson delivered a kick. What point are you trying to make? That I reworded his statement? It still says the same thing.

It wasn't an accident or freak injury, it was a legit TKO.
State_Champ
4/6/10 6:31:04AM

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by State_Champ

Just sayin'

Sounds pretty much like exactly what I said. He kicked his knee in. It's the same thing to say he felt a pop after anderson delivered a kick. What point are you trying to make? That I reworded his statement? It still says the same thing.

I must misunderstand what is being said in the article or what you're trying to say....
It seems to me that you're saying Anderson kicked in Cote's knee, and Cote is admitting to that fact.
But in the article I understand it as Cote claiming his knee popped when he threw a kick himself (which would not be the same as admitting that Anderson kicked it in, which you assert).
MaxOne
4/6/10 11:04:57AM

Posted by State_Champ

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by State_Champ

Just sayin'

I must misunderstand what is being said in the article or what you're trying to say....
It seems to me that you're saying Anderson kicked in Cote's knee, and Cote is admitting to that fact.
But in the article I understand it as Cote claiming his knee popped when he threw a kick himself (which would not be the same as admitting that Anderson kicked it in, which you assert).

someone misunderstood. you are clearly reading it correctly.
postman
4/6/10 12:40:54PM
I think it is going to be very tough for Maia to win this fight due to the fact that this fight is going to be in a open air stadium in one of the most humid citys in the world. Same goes for Renzo.
MattHughesRules
4/6/10 5:41:22PM
I think Maia has a chance for sure. If this thing goes to the ground for any stretch of time he is going to end the Spider. I mean look what Lutter was able to do to Silva. With a better gas tank Lutter probably wins that fight.

That being said, I think Silva remains champ. He is a smart fighter. I think he can manage to stay off the mat and make Maia pay a price each time he tries to take the fight to the ground. Silva is like a ninja int he stand up game...he is just soooo good. I see Maia going to sleep in the second or third.

Very interesting fight though and I am looking forward to it.
postman
4/7/10 12:13:42PM
I just heard there is a very small chance of rain on saturday but nothing they are concerned about but just before rain is usually very humid the sweet will be pooling. Good thing this isn't Yamma there could bee enought sweet the first win by drownding could happen lol