Maia

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Maia
nickcuc547
8/10/08 8:33:47AM
has one of the sickest ground games I have ever seen. He completely outclassed a tough savvy veteran known for his grappling. I may be a little late, but I'm completely convinced this guy will be a star.
Rabi
8/10/08 8:35:00AM
I agree with you mate. maia looked amazing.
juanez13
8/10/08 10:03:50AM
It was amazing the way he passed the guard as if it wasnt even there, seeing him roll you could tell how high his level of JJ is, the guy is a beast on the ground.
prozacnation1978
8/10/08 10:58:59AM
i thought that was best fight of the night
maia is dangerous i would love to see him fight almeida next
SpiderSilva
8/10/08 11:53:05AM
nickcuc547
8/10/08 1:28:39PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

i thought that was best fight of the night
maia is dangerous i would love to see him fight almeida next

i agree, definitely amazing to be fight of the night with little to no striking, it doesn't happen much but I think that fight deserved it.
mrkennedy
8/10/08 1:36:50PM
hope he face a contender
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
8/10/08 3:03:13PM
maia vs toquinho/almeida PLEASE!!! I think maia holds the best chance of dethroning the spider.
KYGUY07
8/10/08 3:50:23PM

Posted by AnDeRsonDaSiLvA

maia vs toquinho/almeida PLEASE!!! I think maia holds the best chance of dethroning the spider.

JimiMak
8/10/08 3:56:13PM
He impressed me greatly, but i think some are getting ahead of themselves... he's not quite in title contention yet. I'd like to see him have a cpl more fights before talking about putting him in the ring with Silva, but I do agree he's gonna climb that ladder fast.
whardin19
8/10/08 5:01:35PM
I thought MacDonald woud win that fight. But, Maia showed why he's the fasting moving Middleweight up the ladder other than Michael Bisping. The guy totally dominated a very good fighter in MacDonald. Not sure who there going to give him next but it should be one of the tops. The thing with Maia to me though is he needs more time. Probably about 2 more fights before he's ready. Which he'll have that time becuase after Silva kills Cote and I think Bisping is next on the radar (I can't wait for that fight!).
Rush
8/10/08 8:19:29PM
The fight almost went as I called it (I called UD for Maia, then chagned it to Rd 2 sub)

Honestly, I expected a little more aggression from Maia, but McDonald looked a lot better than I expected. I was pumped when he took Maia's back in the first round.

Their fight should get FOTN IMO (basing it off of the PPV fights only)

Qorvus
8/11/08 12:47:43PM
I'd like to see his stand-up get tested by a striker with strong take-down defense before we start talking about title-shots.
gsquat
8/11/08 12:57:57PM
He was impressive on the ground, and ok on the feet. His strikes werent delivered with too much speed or power, but were diverse and pretty accurate. Anderson would still light him up on the feet or on the ground, but he'll make his way to a title shot in a couple fights. Props to McDonald for not tapping to the triangle.
nickcuc547
8/11/08 1:01:00PM

Posted by JimiMak

He impressed me greatly, but i think some are getting ahead of themselves... he's not quite in title contention yet. I'd like to see him have a cpl more fights before talking about putting him in the ring with Silva, but I do agree he's gonna climb that ladder fast.

I agree, silva wouldn't let that fight get to the ground, and if it did, he would be punished by the time the fight got there. They shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath yet.
jocka
8/11/08 1:04:28PM
yeah for sure Maia is a JJ beast but his striking did not impress me at all, wow that triangle escape from MAcdonald was sweet and right to the back. I think thats my favorite JJ FIght ever man that was some sweet stuff. If people call boxing the sweet sciwnce we should find a way to call what i saw on saturday lol