Machida wants to face Rashad Evans to determine number one contender

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Machida wants to face Rashad Evans to determine number one contender
Next Page »
MMAcca
9/20/08 4:51:03PM
After being scrapped from UFC 89 because of Thiago Silva’s back injury, Lyoto Machda keeps training in Brazil, but less than before. With his back to the octagon still undefined, Machida waits for the UFC to set his next bout. “I continue training, I can’t be caught unprepared for a fight, but I’m training less now, doing only some physical training, Jiu-Jitsu and Karatê… They didn’t say anything, but told me that this fight (with Thiago Silva) still can happen”, said the fighter, who would need to wait for his recovery to come back to the octagon.

But if it depended on his decision, he’d come back tomorrow with another opponent. “I’m waiting for any situation, or face him, if he gets better, or having another opponent. I would like to face Rashad Evans, and the winner gets a title shot, but now it seems like they will put him against Forrest Griffin… I’d like to face him and the winner gets Griffin, it’s a good way”, suggests Machida, who waits for a top opponent for his next fight.

“I don’t know how it’s gonna be, I’m ready to fight, but don’t wanna fight anyone, because I’m building my way in UFC and I wanna fight the top fighters so that they could give me a title shot after”, says. Between the option in the light-heavyweight Top 10 ranking is Maurício Shogun, getting better from a knee injury and waiting to fight in December, still without and opponent. If Machida could choose, another Brazilian fight could happen. “I never chose opponents, I leave it to UFC and my managers, what they want for me is good. If they think fight Shogun is better I’ll do it, I’m prepared to for everything”, guarantees Machida.

LINK
Chuteboxer
9/20/08 4:56:33PM
I'd love to see Machida beat Evans...that'd be a fight to see.
Aether
9/20/08 4:58:01PM
I would like for this fight to happen so that I can see Rashad get tooled. War Machida
jae_1833
9/20/08 5:02:08PM
I am no fight fan of Lyoto's however I have to love his attitude about the game. He is more than willing to have another fight to be the next in line for the title shot. I don't think that Rashad would be the same. I like how when his fight gets srapped he looks at the rest of the div and says Ok this guy here is obviously in line too....why don't we get it on and settle it! Winner gets the title shot. Many guys would be more on the lines of Well so and so can't fight so I will get my shot earlier. That's the kind of attitude that I saw in Karo before he fought Alves....remember?
nickcuc547
9/20/08 5:29:37PM
well that's too bad because rashad is fighting forrest, machida isn't getting a title shot because he's too boring, end of story.
casey64
9/20/08 5:32:50PM

Posted by nickcuc547

well that's too bad because rashad is fighting forrest, machida isn't getting a title shot because he's too boring, end of story.

Decision after decision.
Porch28
9/20/08 5:45:54PM
I personally don't think Machida is boring at all. I feel he is a very tactical fighter and I enjoy watching him pick apart opponents. Evans wouldn't know what to do with him except dance and fake punch the whole fight. Machida will where the belt but I guess Dana doesn't want the Brazilians holding all the belts at once, so he'll hold a more deserving Machida off for a while.
sparky
9/20/08 5:58:22PM

Posted by nickcuc547

I completely agree Machida needs to get off his high horse for just a second and look around the dude hasnt fought any one in top 5 nevermind beat one of them so what makes him think he deserves a title shot.
kaduey
9/20/08 6:03:34PM

Posted by sparky

Posted by nickcuc547

I completely agree Machida needs to get off his high horse for just a second and look around the dude hasnt fought any one in top 5 nevermind beat one of them so what makes him think he deserves a title shot.

And what top 5 guy other than Chuck has Rashad fought. Machida has had alot more tough matches than Evans.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
9/20/08 6:36:47PM
i dont know what you guys are talking about . Rashad is far more boring then machida. Aside from rashad finishing lambert salmon and chuck ( 3 whom machida would finish with relative ease , especially if chuck pressed machida like he did rashad) his matches have been snooze fest's. rashad barely squeaked a decision by bonnar who machida finished in less then 5 minutes. rashad barely drawed tito who machida easily dominated. Machida would easily beat rashad in a decision or knock him the **** out if/when rashad got frustrated and pressed him.
DevonFoxy
9/20/08 7:12:27PM

Posted by sparky

Posted by nickcuc547

The fact that he is 5-0 in the UFC and has won pretty much every round he's had in the UFC by domination.

High horse??? The man is nothing but class in and out of the octagon so I don't understand how that applies to him.

Machida isn't boring he totally decimated Tito " while running away" and "being boring" he still knocked him down with knees and take downs and when on top did a lot to try and finish.When Chuck waits for the other person to attack no one says he's boring the difference is Machida doesn't knock people out or get restless and change gameplans which leads to leaving yourself open.

Machida deserves the shot at Rashad to say he doesn't is ridiculous its a perfect fit for Thiago Silva.
jae_1833
9/20/08 7:27:29PM

While he hasn't had any flashy ko's or incredible subs....he has owned most of his opponents every single round. I prefer to see fights finished too, but you can't argue with the judges after one of his fights, he wins clearly every time. I am not a fan of Lyoto's at all either!
To get a title shot they all need at least 1 more win vs a quality opponent IMO....which must stink though because Forrest got his title shot 2 wins after getting KTFO'd and crying in the Octagon. I think that all 3 of them will give Forrest a challenge and make for exciting fights. I just wish that the UFC would give credit to guys who go on win streaks like Lyoto has. I mean really.....do we all remember the Jon Fitch BS!!!
Ben_Hutch
9/20/08 7:32:07PM
Machida vs. Anderson Silva?

It could happen at either MW or LHW, I'd love to see that one.
stock
9/20/08 7:57:14PM

Posted by AnDeRsonDaSiLvA

i dont know what you guys are talking about . Rashad is far more boring then machida. Aside from rashad finishing lambert salmon and chuck ( 3 whom machida would finish with relative ease , especially if chuck pressed machida like he did rashad) his matches have been snooze fest's. rashad barely squeaked a decision by bonnar who machida finished in less then 5 minutes. rashad barely drawed tito who machida easily dominated. Machida would easily beat rashad in a decision or knock him the **** out if/when rashad got frustrated and pressed him.

Did you see the Evans/Bonner fight?
That fight was completely 1-sided.

Anyway, regardless about what people's decisions are about Machida or Evans, I think it is already set that Evans will get the next title shot.

Machida is likely next in line, but will probably need another fight or else not fight again for another 6 months or so.
Since I think he is already deserving of the next shot at the title, I would like to see him fight a somewhat lesser opponent (not a can), just to keep the ring rust off. Thiago would have been perfect, so I would say someone around his level.
nickcuc547
9/20/08 8:48:29PM

Posted by kaduey

Posted by sparky

Posted by nickcuc547

And what top 5 guy other than Chuck has Rashad fought. Machida has had alot more tough matches than Evans.

so the top five guy rashad beat doesn't count? chuck is better than any guy machida has fought.
Twenty20Dollars
9/20/08 9:32:47PM
If machida faced evans then forrest wouldnt have to defend his title for quite sometime which would be crap. Have to wait for winner of machida/evans to get ready for a fight with forrest.
Darnok
9/20/08 9:56:34PM
The UFC wouldn't think of letting Rashed fight Machida. They want a TUFFER to hold the belt so they will make Machida wait.
bls1919
9/20/08 10:05:31PM
One of the "0" s would have to go and IMO it would be Rashads. Machida would pick him apart, no doubt
Stills79
9/20/08 10:49:19PM

Posted by nickcuc547

People pay 1000's of dollars to watch these fights up close. They don't want to sit and watch someone run the whole time. It's all about money for the UFC. Not alway's about talent. Just ask Titio.
JahanElixir
9/21/08 12:12:37AM
Knock Knock is anyone home. Just the fact everyone expects Machida to beat Evans says a million. People hate on Machida, which is stupid. Yet they acknowledge that he will beat everybody. What is up with that. They call him boring, yet dont do their homework and see that evertime he fights an exciting fighter, there are fireworks and he is the one setting them. The only time he has a so called boring fight, which I have never seen him in a boring fight, its because of his opponent. Tito is boring, it became a deciision fight, By the way that was one of the most exciting smart fights I have ever seen. Machida against exciting fighter, Soko,Franklin, Bonner, it becomes an exciting fight, and Machida is outstriking all of them. This Machida hate is disgusting. The man is pound for pound one of the best in the world, and is quickly moving up that list. You better learn to like it.
cmill21
9/21/08 12:33:05AM
He's just tired of everyone stepping over him in the title shot catagory. I honestly believe the UFC wants americans for champs and they all seem to have easier roads to the title then other fighters. Not that they're racist or anything they just have good business sense and see that every other champ draws alot more then anderson (proven by inside mma).
disorderlyvision
9/21/08 3:03:24AM

Posted by nickcuc547

Posted by kaduey

Posted by sparky

Posted by nickcuc547

so the top five guy rashad beat doesn't count? chuck is better than any guy machida has fought.

How is chuck top 5? Maybe a couple of years ago, but he has lost 3 of his last 4, two of which he was KTFO, and the one he did win was a pretty close decision. The 205 division is stacked. Chuck isn't even in my top ten. And didn't Machida beat Penn and Franklin I would say their quality matches that of Chuck.
MMAcca
9/21/08 5:38:56AM

Posted by Stills79

Posted by nickcuc547

People pay 1000's of dollars to watch these fights up close. They don't want to sit and watch someone run the whole time. It's all about money for the UFC. Not alway's about talent. Just ask Titio.

Dude, it's clear you've never even watched machida fight.

So his fights with Bonnar, Soku, Nakamura and Tito were boring
Wolf
9/21/08 12:56:46PM

Posted by Ben_Hutch

Machida vs. Anderson Silva?

It could happen at either MW or LHW, I'd love to see that one.

They are training partners, and Silva is on record saying he has no desire to fight Machida. He is a major reason Silva doesn't want to compete at LHW. He wants to see Machida be the LHW champ.
tooly236
9/21/08 1:25:27PM

Posted by nickcuc547

Your a idiot, end of story.
jocka
9/21/08 1:58:02PM
From a fighthers perspective machida has the best style. He is fast, his footwork is awsome, his striking td defense and bjj are top notch. He is definitly a really smart fighter that doesn't take damage when he is figthing,

The thing that makes people hate on machida is that he doesn't stay flat in front of his opponents and bang like a brawler, which to me is a very verry smart thing. He takes minimum damage and forrces his oponent to commit. How much smarter canyou be?

As far as him against rashad, it would definitly be the perfect #1 contender fight, am sure rashad would not be interrested since he alreasy has a title shot but I think machida would pick him appart.
The-Don
9/21/08 2:36:09PM
Lyoto is one thing most of the others are not.. a True martial Artist... He does what is needed to beat the opponent standing across the ring from him.. regardless of weather it is exciting or not... he controls fights by controling the distances, he picks his shots carefully and does not waste movement... just cause he does not hang and bang does not mean he is not exciting.. The dude is freaking poetry in motion.. no wasted movements, great attitude.. I wish more fighters were like him.. true he has no big KO's or fancy subs.. but he has controled almsot every minute he has been in the ring regardless of who was across from him. I am a big fan of Lyoto.. he is proff that you do not have to be in the mold of every other fighter and can still be on top... He either needs to fight Evans for the #1 spot or he gets the winner of the fight with Evans and griffin.. either of which i think will fall to Lyoto when the dust is settled.
motorboatensob
9/21/08 6:08:36PM
Wow Rashad vs Machida in a three round fight we might see all of six punches and four kicks thrown in the whole fight.
jiujitsufreak74
9/21/08 6:48:36PM

Posted by motorboatensob

Wow Rashad vs Machida in a three round fight we might see all of six punches and four kicks thrown in the whole fight.

what a true fan of MMA you are
dannyfrank
9/21/08 7:41:52PM
my only guess to why people think machida is so boring is that they just dont understand or appreciate is style of fighting. i like watching him fight because he fights the same way we're told to fight in my taekwondo class. our instructor tells us to wait for an opening and then strike. we seriously spend entire classes on only counter-kicking. and when we go to tournaments, we basically rape everyone else because people from other classes charge in like wild animals and end up getting kicked in the face. stop hatin' on machida just because he's got a good game plan that you find "boring"
Pages: [1] 2