Machida "Would Like To Wait For Thiago Silva Fight"

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Machida "Would Like To Wait For Thiago Silva Fight"
DCRage
9/12/08 10:45:16AM
Ed Soares-the manager who represents top light heavyweight contender Ryoto (Lyoto) Machida-says that he and his fighter would prefer to wait until Thiago Silva heals from a back injury and fight him rather than someone else. Soares says they "don't see the advantage of fighting a newcomer" and wants to wait for Silva to see "who can get to 14-0 first".

Article
Jackelope
9/12/08 11:03:00AM
I really want to see this fight. I can understand waiting. I just hope Thiago is perfectly healthy when they get it on. I think it will answer a lot of questions about both fighters and that it will give us the best possible gauge for who is #1 contender.

Although at this point I think it's without a doubt Lyoto Machida who takes this and the #1 contender spot.
wrona666
9/12/08 11:48:43AM
I hope they do wait.....This in one of those fights that i am dying to see....I was very disapointed when i found out Thiago got injured, but hey these things happen.....
motorboatensob
9/12/08 12:26:39PM
Yet another reason why he won' t be fighting for the title. Because he wants to fight from the bottom up.
grappler0000
9/12/08 12:38:28PM

Posted by motorboatensob

Yet another reason why he won' t be fighting for the title. Because he wants to fight from the bottom up.

If he wants to fight an undefeated opponent rather than a newcomer, how is that fighting from the bottom up?
stock
9/12/08 1:00:12PM
I really think this is the best option for him at this point.
I thought he was next in line for a title shot, but now since Rashad is getting the nod, he might as well just wait.

Otherwise, he will likely have to fight 2 more times before he gets the title shot that he arguably deserves today.
RMFG_187
9/12/08 4:51:00PM
he wants to wait because Thiago is the worst of the best.

How many of yall just wanna see Machida get smashed by Page or Wandy? I kno i do
RMFG_187
9/12/08 4:53:40PM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by motorboatensob

If he wants to fight an undefeated opponent rather than a newcomer, how is that fighting from the bottom up?

Thiago is undefeated, but still hasnt answered many question. He got stunned by a high kick in his last fight, and the kick didnt connect at all, he got hit with the instep. Machidas Forte is his kicks, and It is the easiest fight he could take that would still land him some respect.
CantAndleDaRiddum
9/12/08 6:47:56PM

Posted by RMFG_187

How many of yall just wanna see Machida get smashed by Page or Wandy? I kno i do

so r u saying machida is ducking people in the lhw division?
cmill21
9/12/08 6:56:47PM

Posted by CantAndleDaRiddum

Posted by RMFG_187

Sounds like it. How's he the one ducking people when everyone turns down fights with him? Who's he supposed to fight? Rampage is fighting Wand, Shogun's out until December anyways, Soko's already fought him, Rashad is facing Forrest, Chuck isn't going to be fighting for a while, Jardine is fighting Vera, so who's left to come in and figh him.
RMFG_187
9/13/08 12:55:42AM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by CantAndleDaRiddum

Posted by RMFG_187

Sounds like it. How's he the one ducking people when everyone turns down fights with him? Who's he supposed to fight? Rampage is fighting Wand, Shogun's out until December anyways, Soko's already fought him, Rashad is facing Forrest, Chuck isn't going to be fighting for a while, Jardine is fighting Vera, so who's left to come in and figh him.

no not at all, not saying hes ducking people, he is just being "smart" and doing the best thing that would give him the highest chance on getting the belt.

But have u ever heard him really call anyone out besides Silva? Real champs ask to fight the best of the best, not the other way around. Forrest asked for Shogun, Rampage is asking for Wandy, and same the other way around. But here he is asking for a fight with a guy who hasnt even fought top 10 competition yet. And he is said to be the best LHW.

just think its low, just MO tho.
breakdown5
9/13/08 1:10:07AM
It makes more sense for Machida to wait and fight Thiago than for him to fight a no name fighter. I personally want to see what Machida has got and we aren't going to see that from a fighter that will pose a minimal challenge to him. Thiago is on the rise and most of the other notable fighters at LHW are already lined up for fights. So as long as it doesn't take forever to make this fight happen, I don't mind waiting for it.

EDIT: Unless they have him fight Shogun in December. That would be awesome. An even better fight than Machida vs. Thiago.