Machida for the title shot!

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Machida for the title shot!
warglory
9/23/07 2:04:02AM
Machida has shown he is a damn fine force at 205. Has he only had 3 fights? Yes, but does that really matter in this division right now? He hasn't finished a fight yet. DOes it matter? He is aggressive, he has entertaining fights, and he wins (11-0).

I would argue that a fight against Houston is necessary to determine that winner, but that may be too long of a layoff for Quinton. Either way, Machida should be placed in title contention. Thoughts?
ncordless
9/23/07 2:07:23AM
I'd like to see Wandy get a title shot (on the basis that he beat Rampage twice) and have Houston and Machida go at it for the no 1 contender.
Kastro
9/23/07 2:09:15AM

Posted by warglory

Machida has shown he is a damn fine force at 205. Has he only had 3 fights? Yes, but does that really matter in this division right now? He hasn't finished a fight yet. DOes it matter? He is aggressive, he has entertaining fights, and he wins (11-0).

I would argue that a fight against Houston is necessary to determine that winner, but that may be too long of a layoff for Quinton. Either way, Machida should be placed in title contention. Thoughts?

I dont know.. Look at Fitch, he has beaten lots of guys and he is still behind Hughes and GSP for a title shot...

Machida was impressive tonight as he beat a very tough 205'er in Nakamura, but still Machida has not faced any of the top guys in the UFC... he has an undefeated record, he is entertaining, but that alone is not enough for a title shot especially with a division thats so stacked...

I say Machida either fights Jardine or Griffin and the winner of that gets a shot at the title..
warglory
9/23/07 2:17:18AM

Posted by Kastro

Posted by warglory

I dont know.. Look at Fitch, he has beaten lots of guys and he is still behind Hughes and GSP for a title shot...

Machida was impressive tonight as he beat a very tough 205'er in Nakamura, but still Machida has not faced any of the top guys in the UFC... he has an undefeated record, he is entertaining, but that alone is not enough for a title shot especially with a division thats so stacked...

I say Machida either fights Jardine or Griffin and the winner of that gets a shot at the title..

Yeah, but the light heavyweight division is a lot more messed up and confusing right now than the welterweights. In fact, i'd say that division is the most stable right now despite Serra being champion. Machida has some undeniable skills, and he is 3-0 in the octagon. Keith is coming off of a loss to Houston, he doesn't deserve a shot, and Griffin lost recently too. I guess Griffin could arguably deserve a shot too. Wandy vs Griffin would be an interesting match. Could be the Chute Boxe version of Soko.
leeman
9/23/07 2:26:06AM
man first fight ive seen of machida besides the ko of franklin.. and wow!! the guy is a complete stud and i cud see him fighting for the title right now. That being said, he needs a fight against one of the top 205''s i would love to see a fight between him and houston and i think thats wut the ufc is gunna do. If he wins his next fight against a top 205 fighter than he better get a title shot
d_block07
9/23/07 2:37:19AM
machida cant finish fights recently i think he needs to prove himself alot more and make a statement in the division before he can be considered for contention especially in a division as deep as LHW rihgt now. i say forrest should get a shot for actually finishing shogun are u kidding me that was nutttsss.l
leeman
9/23/07 2:41:49AM
even tho machida doesnt finish fights i dont get how people find him boring. Tonight agaisnt nak wus a great fight and its awesome just watching him and how technical his mauy thai is and last time i checked a win is a win whether its by decision or ko
Playground_Samurai
9/23/07 2:53:40AM
I think the UFC may be a bit hesitant to give Machida a title shot. Even in tonights event, Rogan and Goldberg were referencing to a criticism of Machida not being able to finish fights. I myself, think it would make for an interesting match up.

I know it's a long shot, but maybe the winner of Tito/Rashad 2 could get a title shot. Granted, i'm pretty sure Rashad isn't quiet ready for the likes of Rampage, but I wouldn't mind seeing any of these match ups.

Things are so mixed up in the LHW division right now that I can't come up with a sure shot scenario that plays out. Way to many options, and not enough justification for a title shot. It's all up in the air right now. Can't wait to hear what Dana White and Joe Silva come up with after all this.
cmill21
9/23/07 3:19:41AM
Lol what do you want him to do? He beats the hell out of people and they don't get Ko'd. Is that his fault? Is Jardines win over chuck any less impressive because he didn't KO him?
jmoooooo
9/23/07 3:41:44AM
unfortunately there are so many people in the division now its going to take ages for everyone deserving to get a shot.....that or people are going to be fighting a lot more often. as more and more pride fighters make their way into the UFC each division is getting deeper and deeper, i feel sorry for guys like fitch and machida, even (forrest) griffin/jardine and most of the lightweight division...guys whose records would seem to indicate they are ready/deserving of a title shot but who are still sitting at probably middle of the top ten in the division just because of how deep it is.

guida, tyson griffin, florian, penn, thomas, huerta, fisher....all could be fighting for the title, but only one or two will get to in the next year, and the rest just languish.
Kastro
9/23/07 4:09:42AM

Posted by d_block07

machida cant finish fights recently i think he needs to prove himself alot more and make a statement in the division before he can be considered for contention especially in a division as deep as LHW rihgt now. i say forrest should get a shot for actually finishing shogun are u kidding me that was nutttsss.l

Just like I said, im with you on that brother.
matthughes23
9/23/07 4:22:30AM
PRIDE fighters just cant seem to find their fight in the UFC. Congrats to forrest. Unfreakinbelievable!!!!!! Forrest should get the shot, i mean he submitted arguably the best fighter in the world. Machida is another option but he isnt so well known and does not finish. Thats y it should be Rampage vs. Forrest for the next LHW title fight
cmill21
9/23/07 4:30:12AM
I really don't think Forrest should go there yet. He did do incredibly well tonight, but shogun gassed, forrest should fight machida for a #1 contender match. That'd get forrest the good good soild 100% test, and machida his noteriety. He hasn't been finishing, but man he beat the hell out of nak and nak kept going, thats like being pissed when someone can't Ko mark hunt(not saying naks hunt), you can't control if the other guy can take a punch.
hathcock32
9/23/07 5:42:38AM
Nakamura is horrible first of all how any one had him in the top ten is crazy......Machida is a boring fighter good but boring yet to face anyone in the UFC thats worth while
ufcboss
9/23/07 6:20:40AM
I think that forrest should get the rampage fight, Shogan was going to be getting it if he beat forrest.
The_Grim_Reaper
9/23/07 7:43:08AM
i'd like to see lyoto in one more fight b4 id give him a shot, maybe him against jardine, and houston vs griffin
cmill21
9/23/07 12:29:11PM

Posted by hathcock32

Nakamura is horrible first of all how any one had him in the top ten is crazy......Machida is a boring fighter good but boring yet to face anyone in the UFC thats worth while

Maybe Machida should fight Tito? I'd be down to watch that ass wooping. Have you ever even seen him fight? Outside of his fight with Machida I mean.
NatedawgThaM
9/23/07 12:31:07PM
I would love to see Machida against Shogun as Shoguns rebound match, would be exciting to see a pissed off and focused Shogun...

That would be the ultimate test for Machida and if somehow by some miracle he comes out over top, then we can speak title shots and #1 contender fights...
cmill21
9/23/07 12:38:16PM
Lol I don't want to see shogun and machida, I love them both. I'd rather see shogun and chuck. Good for the UFC either way. Then have machida and jardine and houston and forrest.
MMA
9/23/07 12:44:06PM
Machida should fight Houston and expose him. I'm not believing the hype of Houston, I don't care. I hate to admit it, but his win over Jardine puts him high up there now because Jardine just beat Chuck but I will be damned to see everyone saying how he is the next big thing.
warglory
9/23/07 6:28:17PM

Posted by MMA

Machida should fight Houston and expose him. I'm not believing the hype of Houston, I don't care. I hate to admit it, but his win over Jardine puts him high up there now because Jardine just beat Chuck but I will be damned to see everyone saying how he is the next big thing.

I agree, I think Machida would expose Alexander in a major way. Machida, like Fitch, has the uncanny ability to shut down people's stand up and retaliate.
BerndRealBad
9/26/07 2:14:17AM

Posted by hathcock32

Do you know anything about MMA or just what you see on the sherdog message board?

Machida doesn't need to finish fights, he is not Kenny Florian. He just needs to win, and that's what he does. Nobody has even come close to hurting him in the UFC, forget about beating him. Just look at an example against Heath, who might not be the best fighter in the world but is still very tough. When he turned it up in that fight near the end, he connected with about 7 or 8 consecutive knee strikes and did almost finish it. So when he wants to, he can be just as dangerous as anyone in the division. Ask Mr. Franklin.
jocka
9/26/07 3:57:51AM
I love Machida' s style he is so hard to hit , he moves very well and honestly thats the perfect style in my opinion BUT he does need to finish fights if he wants to get noticed in the LHW division. They should put him against guys like Chuck or Shogun. IF he is able to finish one of theses guys then he could be reconized. You guys actually think that Houston Alexander is not the next big thing ?
cmill21
9/26/07 9:45:37AM

Posted by jocka

I love Machida' s style he is so hard to hit , he moves very well and honestly thats the perfect style in my opinion BUT he does need to finish fights if he wants to get noticed in the LHW division. They should put him against guys like Chuck or Shogun. IF he is able to finish one of theses guys then he could be reconized. You guys actually think that Houston Alexander is not the next big thing ?

I don't think he has to finish to be noticed, he has to finish to make fans happy. No I don't think houstons the next big thing, why? We haven't seen any ground game, if he gets taken down who knows what'll happen.
TNunley
9/26/07 10:07:55AM

Posted by ncordless

I'd like to see Wandy get a title shot (on the basis that he beat Rampage twice) and have Houston and Machida go at it for the no 1 contender.

Could you explain please? Especially on how Alexander or Machida deserve to be #1 contenders.
TNunley
9/26/07 10:12:41AM

Posted by cmill21

Lol what do you want him to do? He beats the hell out of people and they don't get Ko'd. Is that his fault? Is Jardines win over chuck any less impressive because he didn't KO him?

Absolutely... Jardine's win over Chuck is far more impressive than Machida's over Nakamura's. Machida is definitely going to be a top contender before long, but Jardine beat Liddell at his own game... the same guy who dominated the UFC's LHW division until Page took him out.
LR
9/26/07 10:27:22AM
Actually, it isn't Machida's record or fights that are impressive. Seriously, the point is being missed. He doesn't need a title shot yet, but he is fairly dominant. I mean, unbelievably dominant against lower tier guys. He may not finish fights, but he wins them decisively.

His style would be formidable to anyone. I mean, any guy in the LHW division would have some serious problems countering his elusiveness, footwork, kicks, and sweeps. Can you think of one LHW that could give him huge problems?

Liddell would get so frustrated, he'd probably get beat very easily. Shogun would have problems since he likes to use his aggression to overwhelm opponents, not happening. David Heath didn't touch Machida for 2 rounds, and he moves around about the same as Jardine. Forrest would have horrible problems. The list goes on and on. Machida will be a bad fight for anyone. Only a great wrestler who can take him down and put the hurt on him instantly will be able to really take him.

I predict a Machida vs. Evans/Ortiz.