MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Machida style=boring match
Next Page »
mrkennedy
5/25/08 4:03:44AM
i'm sure im not the only one to think this

if you are disagre or agree give me your opinion
89vision
5/25/08 4:24:49AM
people who dont like him just dont understand what hes doing in there, hes not wandy goin in there out of control, lyoto's chin is underrated, he dosnt have to be so elusive but its a smart way to fight, and you've got to appreciate all facets of fighting, a guy whos patient while standing is twice as exciting as a LnP fighter

joe rogan explains it the best by saying hes doing a lot in there, tito was getting pissed but thats because he isnt able to do anything, machida owned him everywhere the fight went, lyoto even taking tito down, tito couldnt strike with him, wrestle with him, clinch, HE COULDNT EVEN SUBMIT HIM WITH A FULL TRIANGLE, that speaks very very highly of Lyoto and if you boo'd at this fight or thought he wasnt impressive you need to watch the fight on mute and appreciate diversity in the ring, and hey hes not 13-0 for no reason, he dominates
MMAcca
5/25/08 7:34:32AM

Posted by 89vision

people who dont like him just dont understand what hes doing in there, hes not wandy goin in there out of control, lyoto's chin is underrated, he dosnt have to be so elusive but its a smart way to fight, and you've got to appreciate all facets of fighting, a guy whos patient while standing is twice as exciting as a LnP fighter

joe rogan explains it the best by saying hes doing a lot in there, tito was getting pissed but thats because he isnt able to do anything, machida owned him everywhere the fight went, lyoto even taking tito down, tito couldnt strike with him, wrestle with him, clinch, HE COULDNT EVEN SUBMIT HIM WITH A FULL TRIANGLE, that speaks very very highly of Lyoto and if you boo'd at this fight or thought he wasnt impressive you need to watch the fight on mute and appreciate diversity in the ring, and hey hes not 13-0 for no reason, he dominates

Props. well said.
mrsmiley
5/25/08 8:09:28AM
Machida is an amazing fighter imo.
I thought the fight with Tito was very exciting,and I really hope Machida starts getting the respect he deserves.
nickcuc547
5/25/08 8:33:37AM

Posted by 89vision

well said but i still think he's boring. Effective? absolutely, legit top 10 lhw? without a doubt. but i still think his style is tough to watch at times, no matter how effective it is.
juanez13
5/25/08 8:36:26AM

Posted by mrsmiley

Machida is an amazing fighter imo.
I thought the fight with Tito was very exciting,and I really hope Machida starts getting the respect he deserves.

warglory
5/25/08 9:10:15AM
I very much enjoy Machida's style, its so completely different. Keep in mind that people used to think ground fights used to be boring as hell back in the day before people began to understand what was happening.
zephead
5/25/08 9:25:23AM
He backs up way to much and doesn't attack. When he does attack, it's one or two punches and then he backs out. There's a reason why Dana said he wanted 250 Wandy's. Wandy brings it. If this fight was in Pride they both would have gotten yellow cards.
jack
5/25/08 9:38:51AM
It's not so much that he backs up too much he's just changing the angles so that Tito couldn't cut the ring off on him. He does attack and it is often pretty vicious. He just doesn't blindly rush in but rather sets up his victim so that they make a mistake and then he capitalizes on it. I thought that he fought a very intelligent and outstanding fight.
Boo_Radley21
5/25/08 9:57:57AM
I think it's kind of boring. And he doesn't catch any shit for not going for the finish unlike Sylvia and Sherk
IriShame
5/25/08 10:23:43AM
That's right. HE DOESN"T TRY TO FINISH THE FIGHT! That is the most important thing. He is going to beat everybody with this intelligent style but it will be by decision every time. I'm just not into it. Don't sit there and tell me I don't understand what's going on either. I'm fully aware, I just don't like it. In my opinion there has to be some attempt to finish the fight not just score points. If I wanted to watch a point karate match I would, then I would tell everyone how boring it was.
Jackelope
5/25/08 10:47:08AM
I was just gonna bring up the point sparring match point. That's basically what Lyoto does. He point spars. While that's effective, it's not as fun to watch. He is going to run into problems when he faces an aggressive greco guy with great footwork. Dan Henderson comes to mind. Either that, or when he finds a lengthy standup fighter with great footwork.

Wrestlers are going to have a hell of a time with him unless they've got the right striking to set up the shot. Tito wasn't setting up his shots worth anything in there.
chitown97
5/25/08 10:55:35AM
I can understand why so many people would think that his style is not the most exciting but you have to appreciate the fact that he has taken everyone he has fought out of THEIR gameplan. He likes to have opponents get frustrated, charge in, and he then pick people apart. Why would he brawl Tito? That would be fighting Tito's fight. In the end, he wins and he does it against quality opponents.
NatedawgThaM
5/25/08 11:17:30AM
He's cool. If I said he was boring or that I didn't like him I'd be a huge hypocrite since I like Bernard Hopkins and Winky Wright, two counterpunchers, in boxing.

He's very effective, he's always attacking. Not always physically, but alway mentally. You saw how pissed Tito was because he couldn't do anything.

So congratulations to Lyoto, you proved to me your top 10 material with a legit LHW win over a natural 205 pounder!!
MMA
5/25/08 11:54:07AM
Not everyone will enjoy Machida's style, but it's a lot smarter than standing in the pocket and trading punches.
Franklinfan47
5/25/08 11:56:38AM

Posted by 89vision

npayant
5/25/08 11:58:20AM
I totally disagree... a lot has been said that I would have stated, so I'll just leave it at that...
whardin19
5/25/08 12:04:22PM
I don't know, I actually liked the fight. I thought it was entertaining. Although that might be because I don't like Tito and like watching him get pissed that he couldn't hit Lyoto. Lyoto was avoiding getting hit. He wasn't running away. Kalib Starnes now that's running away. Lyoto was throwing counter punches as he moved back. Can't say it was the most exciting fight of the night but I do respect Lyoto alot and he's going to be very tough to beat.
JimiMak
5/25/08 12:06:09PM
I find nothing boring about him and have to question anyone on HERE (of all places) who would say that. He beats ppl up for 15 mins. He goes for finishes, but doesn't get his head lost in trying to. The end of rd 1 was great even for you guys, admit it. He's so technical he makes some of the best fighters in the world look like amateurs, and makes supposedly educated fans look like noobs. If you don't appreciate what he's doing you DON'T understand it. Contrary to what some of you claim.
fade2black2004
5/25/08 12:08:15PM
that fight was the biggest let down i have had in a long while

Machida was practically running the whole time that not being elusive that being afraid to fight imo
match was incredibly boring
bet part was when Ortiz almost submitted him, i wish he would of tuck with the triangle and made him tap jut to punish him for putting on an incredibly boring fight
JimiMak
5/25/08 12:10:41PM
Titio couldn't touch him. That does not = running. When you can keep the distance on a wrestler (esp of Tito's caliber) that says a lot. It's not fear to engage, he engaged plenty, Tito was unable to. Fighting doesnt' mean letting the other guy do what he wants.
candynuts
5/25/08 12:11:32PM
Well it might have been somewhat lackluster in the aftermath of it. But during the match I was anxiously awaiting to see which style was going to win this fight. It was very surprising that Tito could not takedown Machida down at least once and it was surprising that Tito was on his back (especially when he pulled that triangle).
All in all I thought it was a very exciting match because this clearly was a style vs. style matchup and I was anxious during the action.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
5/25/08 12:19:25PM
anyone who thinks machida is boring should stop posting on this site and stick to watching kimbo on elite xc. Imo machida would of finished tito in the first round if the round didnt end. HE had him in the crusifix position , droping bombs , tito looked like he was going out. I think a tko would of been called if the round had 15 more seconds. machida was a sumo wrestler , which is why his take down defense/ clinch game is so good.
I thought the match was very exciting .
JBatch
5/25/08 12:23:01PM
I think the way he fights is atrocious. The guy backs up never engages and has no desire to finish a fight. That fight along with most of his other rank among the most boring fights I have ever seen in my life.
NinjaCyborg
5/25/08 12:41:50PM
I like Machida and I liked his fight against Tito last night.

He fights smart. I like that about him..... plus he's a samurai
SociopathX
5/25/08 12:52:48PM
I liked when Tito was taunting Machida to fight him and stop backing away... I think he was getting pretty frustrated with all the dodging and running away.

I hope Machida gets matched up with Wonderlai or CHuck next and gets his karate kid ass knocked out of the ufc.
Twenty20Dollars
5/25/08 12:58:55PM
but machida is just a non-aggresive counter striker which is such a boring style. you have to chase his around because he won't engage except for a punch and kick here and there in a round.

if you give machida a real striker he will get exposed and just dominated.

tito vs machida reminded me of starnes vs quarry
Rush
5/25/08 2:09:09PM
This was a great fight. I really like Machida's style. Some may call it boring, but I find it intelligent and exciting. It's way better than most of the fighters throwing sloppy haymakers all the time.

Machida has the way of making his opponent miss him completely and come back and not only hit, but inflict damage. He can win the fight at any time. I hope other fighters incorporate some of Machida's strategies in their fighting, because MMA still needs to evolve beyond what it is today.

telnights
5/25/08 2:22:04PM

Posted by 89vision

100% great post
archangel7150
5/25/08 2:55:40PM
Ok a couple of things here to mention:

1. Lyoto did somthing no other fighter has done before... He took Tito down immediatly passed his guard and got a crucifix on him. Randy couldn't even do that.

2. Lyoto's skill is comparable to that of an expert grappler. Many people boo those guys as well. The people who don't recognize and respect the talent and skill he has are the same people that just wanna see a legalized bar fight.

3. There has yet to be a limit to Lyoto's potential. Outside of the Steve Greco fight he has not really been tested and he has fought very talented fighters.

4. He has yet to fully find his niche, Anderson had this problem up until 2004 when he found the range and style that works for him and started to destroy people. This seems like the same situation.

I am a huge Lyoto fan because I think he brings legitimacy to the MMA striking game that has gained critism by other striking orgs (Boxing primarly).
Pages: [1] 2 3 4