Why Machida and not Rua?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Why Machida and not Rua?
Redkayak
12/17/11 11:56:31AM
After Machida fought Jones, people were saying that he was Jones toughest opp to date.They were saying that he put Jones in the most danger.
Did anyone watch Rua fight Jones? Rua did a much better job at landing shots on Jones and putting him in danger, he even took his back. It didnt end well but it didnt for Machida.
DeadHead988
12/17/11 12:14:05PM
Personally, I thought Jones slaughtered Rua, whereas I actually scored the first round in Lyoto's favor. I've always felt Shogun got way more credit than he deserved.
BuffaloDave
12/17/11 1:31:11PM
Well, in most people's eyes, other than 2 of those 3 judges Machida was the first guy to win a round against Bones. I'm a huge Jones fan, even I have no problems admitting that Machida won that round, did it rather convincingly as well. In fact after that round I was worried Jones would be in trouble, based on how Machida performed. I felt Machida would only land better shots as he learned the distance and timing better, had Jones not turned it around.

In the Rua fight, it never seemed Jones was in trouble, plus with the way Jones just beat him to a pulp, He was also in control of the fight. I think that's why people would say that Machida was his toughest. Jones himself said that Machida had him confused.
Pookie
12/17/11 2:13:50PM
I'm a huge fan of Machida, Rampage, & Rua. Really, add in BJ penn and you have my mount rushmore.

In all honesty, i felt helpless watching the Jones v. Rua fight. Shogun got his ass whooped. I would even go so far as to say Shogun's style, outside of a fluke, has nearly no chance to ever beat Jones. No matter how many times they fought.

Machida on the other hand, was actually successful with his offense and wobbled Jones.

Machida fought a much better fight against Jones, and i think alot of it has to do with the style match-up. But sure, all the credit in the world goes to Shogun for having the chin and heart that he has, but i think it's clearly silly to think he did better than Machida in any area other than Absorbing more damage to the face.
Chael_Sonnen
12/17/11 5:13:14PM

Posted by Redkayak

After Machida fought Jones, people were saying that he was Jones toughest opp to date.They were saying that he put Jones in the most danger.
Did anyone watch Rua fight Jones? Rua did a much better job at landing shots on Jones and putting him in danger, he even took his back. It didnt end well but it didnt for Machida.

Jones ate Shogun's soul......Machida faired MUCH better.
ncordless
12/17/11 5:47:31PM
Because watching Jones/Rua was like watching a grizzly bear attack a hiker, while watching Jones/Machida actually looked like a competitive fight between two of the best in the world. Not saying Machida is better than Shogun, just saying he is better at fighting Jones than Shogun is.
tcunningham
12/17/11 6:07:23PM
no way did shogun put jones in more trouble. shogun got dominated from the very beginning IMO. in fact, i thought shogun looked very unprepared against jones. machida landed the better shots but still got dominated, just not right off the bat. machida was jones biggest test, even rampage put up more fight than shogun. just my opinion though
calitrees
12/17/11 10:31:19PM
Shogun vs Jones was one of the most 1 sided fights ive ever seen.never in that fight did Rua pose a hreat to Jones. Just one man beating down another much more experienced fighter.
sparky
12/17/11 10:54:45PM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Posted by Redkayak

Jones ate Shogun's soul......Machida faired MUCH better.

Not for very long...... Machida did good until Jones took him down had Jon took him down in the 1st it would of been bad for Machida a lot earlier in my opinion!!
40ouncetpkid
12/18/11 10:45:42PM
Shogun ate the hardest flying knee ever in like the first 10 seconds i just think he never recovered. I think shoguns aggression and versatility always stands a chance.
KungFuMaster
12/19/11 12:16:35PM
Machida fought the devil the best he could while Shogun surrendered his soul on a platter.
Pookie
12/19/11 12:50:39PM

Posted by KungFuMaster

Machida fought the devil the best he could while Shogun surrendered his soul on a platter.

In all fairness, The "devil" got Machida's soul quicker.
KungFuMaster
12/19/11 1:34:11PM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by KungFuMaster

In all fairness, The "devil" got Machida's soul quicker.

The devil didn't want to take any chances with Machida.