Anyone else see Machida's Head kick coming ...

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Anyone else see Machida's Head kick coming ...
LightsOUT23
10/29/13 11:52:56AM
Hey guys,

Just wondered if anyone on this site called Machida's Head kick on Munoz before it happened.

I was sat there watching Machida's movement in the fight, As soon as the fight started, Machida was pushing his knee out faking kicks from the off set. As soon as he started to throw leg kicks, then half way through the round came up and delivered a body kick, i turned to my Bro who was watching the event with me and told him i can see a head kick coming next. Sure enough, just after i called it, Machida's leg went up high and connected round the back of Munoz head. Job Done.

I'm sure there's a few more of you out there that called it too.

Cheers
Svartorm
10/29/13 12:08:23PM
Camera angle was kind of weird at that moment, but he has two completely different skill sets depending on if he's southpaw or orthodox. South paw is his kicking stance, so head kicks always come from there.
tcunningham
10/29/13 1:39:51PM
my dad told me the outcome of the fight before i saw it, but when i actually went and watched it, i noticed munoz dropping his right hand when machida was fainting. plus, machida is great at making it look like he's going to kick to the led and turn his hip and go to the head. munoz looked outclassed
jjeans
10/29/13 2:39:30PM
I'm one to fall for a few conspiracies.

I think Munoz was so fearful of Machida's striking, he knew engaging too long in the striking exchanges would cost him dearly. And as a result of that he mentally lost the fight so any light strike that landed would massively effect him and that's what happened.

That said I can see the argument for that being a work. I know this thread is not about that and I am not agreeing, or disgreeing with that opinion, but I can see the argument for it.
airkerma
10/29/13 2:42:07PM
No, my friends were about to get in a fight with some random people
prozacnation1978
10/29/13 2:53:40PM
I saw him kicking the head shots. I thought about it.
Couldnt believe a partial blocked head kick took out Munoz machida should have dropped a year ago
Svartorm
10/29/13 3:35:49PM
People that think that strike wouldn't drop you don't understand the mechanics of it. Your hand next to your head with that arm structure would do basically nothing to stop a head kick. Unless Munoz is made of steel, it would take only a little pressure to force his hand inward and the kick would be unimpeded. There's simply too much energy behind a rear leg head kick to block it with a half-ass block.
jjeans
10/29/13 3:52:24PM

Posted by Svartorm

People that think that strike wouldn't drop you don't understand the mechanics of it. Your hand next to your head with that arm structure would do basically nothing to stop a head kick. Unless Munoz is made of steel, it would take only a little pressure to force his hand inward and the kick would be unimpeded. There's simply too much energy behind a rear leg head kick to block it with a half-ass block.

I've eaten headkicks and I'm sure you have too whilst training MMA. Admittedly I am not getting kicked in the head by Machida but the force that strike would land going through a hand and not landing cleaning, it looked like the majority of the foot hit Munoz's hand and very little of his foot connected with Munoz and if it did it was neither the temple or the chin.

Infact watching GIF you can see the foot shake upon hitting the glove meaning the rest of the power was momentum. Seeing some fighters take headkicks without a guard and still able to remain standing.

I am not saying there aren't contributing factors. You can clearly see Munoz leaning into the kick and Munoz has been knocked out twice. Rewatching the Weidman GIF you can see the elbow didn't require much force, plus Munoz was once again going into it and didn't see it coming.

Again, this is not my feeling just an opinion I can see an argument for.

My opinion is that Munoz knew training everyday with Machida who the better fighter was and he was scared. He got caught with something and in his head he thought this is gonna hurt and as a result he did.
Shawn91111
10/29/13 4:04:29PM
Someone is sounding like KFM up in here.
airkerma
10/29/13 4:15:18PM

Posted by Svartorm

Don't forget that Munoz, while blocking that direction, elected to lean into the kick for some reason. I also think there was plenty of force to put Munoz down for good.
Webbie
10/29/13 4:16:45PM
I saw the hard body kick land from Machida, and then he faked one more and Munoz dropped his hand. Right then I said out loud "he's going to kick him in the head." Thirty seconds later the head kick landed. Unfortunately the only person who happened to witness it with me at the time was my mother.

But yeah, I saw it coming.
LightsOUT23
10/29/13 5:44:59PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

I saw him kicking the head shots. I thought about it.
Couldnt believe a partial blocked head kick took out Munoz machida should have dropped a year ago

You have a point.

I'm not so sure this fight was a fix, but it did seem like a partially blocked Head Kick that was blocked by Munoz hands took the sting out of the kick on his arms. But the other angle showed his foot catch Munoz round the back of his head. Almost his toes were what impacted his head, Machida must have toes like rocks or something.

Over all, i was disappointed with that card. Machida vs Munoz saved it at the end.
Lungsofsteel
10/29/13 5:53:10PM

Posted by tcunningham

my dad told me the outcome of the fight before i saw it, but when i actually went and watched it, i noticed munoz dropping his right hand when machida was fainting. plus, machida is great at making it look like he's going to kick to the led and turn his hip and go to the head. munoz looked outclassed

He was landing those body kicks he threw. Definitely set him up. Seen it with leg kicks as well in other fights.
shaneTpain
10/29/13 6:46:04PM
I'm just glad the Dragon went in there & ended it quick. A lot of these fighter friends spar for 3 rounds, call it a fight & hug at the end.
NikkiNeversleep
10/30/13 3:33:44AM
Not at the time honestly. But after rewatching it, I have no idea how I didn't
VILLIN
10/30/13 3:58:20AM
It is a fairly common strategy, CroCop used it every fight before his knees were shot. I was more surprised that Machida was trying that strategy than I was when the head kick came. I figured Machida would stick with punching and not risk his balance by going for kicks.
Bubbles
10/30/13 10:27:18AM

Posted by jjeans

That said I can see the argument for that being a work. I know this thread is not about that and I am not agreeing, or disgreeing with that opinion, but I can see the argument for it.

I knew it, jjeans is a KFM dupe account
jjeans
10/30/13 10:54:23AM

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by jjeans

I knew it, jjeans is a KFM dupe account

Well I am a self proclaimed master, just not of Kung fu
infestructure
10/30/13 6:01:26PM

Posted by LightsOUT23

Hey guys,

Just wondered if anyone on this site called Machida's Head kick on Munoz before it happened.

I was sat there watching Machida's movement in the fight, As soon as the fight started, Machida was pushing his knee out faking kicks from the off set. As soon as he started to throw leg kicks, then half way through the round came up and delivered a body kick, i turned to my Bro who was watching the event with me and told him i can see a head kick coming next. Sure enough, just after i called it, Machida's leg went up high and connected round the back of Munoz head. Job Done.

I'm sure there's a few more of you out there that called it too.

Cheers

I was watching with afriend who is a kickboxer, he called it about three seconds before the kick, it made it that much more special, we were both out of our seats
george112
10/30/13 7:01:18PM
Make no mistake, it was a damn hard kick

it connected with the crook of machidas foot and shin. sort of like his ankle. that is a lot more solid of a place to land a kick

a good analogy is when you are just messing around playing with a soccer ball as a teen.

lets say you are about to punt the soccer ball into the air. 9 times out of ten if you kick the ball with the part of the foot im talking about above it goes higher than if you were to say kick it with your toes. its sort of like that "sweet spot" its hard to explain
Pookie
11/4/13 10:57:22AM
That type of arm block does nothing to diminish the forxe. A light push would move that arm. A hard sweeping kick that snaps through at the end is going to lose barely any force.
LightsOUT23
11/8/13 5:38:42PM
Cheers for comments guys !!