machida is not getting a title shot

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » machida is not getting a title shot
Next Page »
fonduktoe
7/10/08 9:59:21PM
machida's manager has stated that machida's next fight will not be a title shot
with that out of the way it must be either a rematch w/rampage or the winner of liddell and evans imo
thoughts?
juanez13
7/10/08 10:01:29PM
yea im guessing Rampage will get an immediate rematch, after watching the post fight PC for UFC 86, im almost certain they will. probably in the new years eve card.
EON
7/10/08 10:14:50PM
shame on dana, he said he would never go the "freak show" route AKA the money grubbing publicity path, imo putting Chuck in the title fight IF he beats Rashad with a recent 3-2 shows the bias of the UFC, so what if he was champ, this is very disappointing news
fonduktoe
7/10/08 10:18:25PM

Posted by EON

shame on dana, he said he would never go the "freak show" route AKA the money grubbing publicity path, imo putting Chuck in the title fight IF he beats Rashad with a recent 3-2 shows the bias of the UFC, so what if he was champ, this is very disappointing news

dana has nuthugged liddell for years
i don't like it, but i've come to accept it
RandyCouture
7/10/08 10:18:58PM
Thanks God they better put him against a quality opponent so he can get KTFO and not get a title shot at all.
EON
7/10/08 10:19:27PM

Posted by fonduktoe

Posted by EON

dana has nuthugged liddell for years
i don't like it, but i've come to accept it

yeah i guess theres no point in moanin' about it, if he beats rashad dana will give him the shot
Twenty20Dollars
7/10/08 10:22:50PM
YES! Machida no title shot. Wandy faces machida and beats down machida.
Korsakov
7/10/08 10:38:20PM
it doesn't matter who it is, lyoto beats them and then beats the champion for the title.
Gannon
7/10/08 10:41:42PM
I'm really hoping Machida fights another big name if he's not getting a title shot. Love him or hate him, he does win.
holt8081
7/10/08 10:41:46PM

Posted by RandyCouture

Thanks God they better put him against a quality opponent so he can get KTFO and not get a title shot at all.

Why do you think Rashad Evans is a quality opponent He has only beat one quality fighter who just so happens to be very over rated and has not fight a quality opponent himself.
JimiMak
7/10/08 11:03:58PM
He should, obviously, get it. Key word is mixed, he doesn't do what the audience expects so some just don't get it yet. But I knew he wouldn't.

I expect Chuck gets the shot after ko'ing Rashad. Jackson should have to fight Machida, but they'll prob'ly match Wandy w/ Machida and give Jackson someone much lower ranked. Then they'll want to give Jackson the shot instead of Lyoto. I'd rather just see Jackson/Machida for shot after Chuck.

I really think Machida beats anyone in the div right now. And I think when we see fighters pushing him more is when we're gonna see ko's. I think a guy like Wandy is more likely to get ko'd by Machida than a defensive fighter like Chuck or Rampage.
RNC
7/11/08 2:13:11AM
Chuck beats Rashad
Forrest beats Chuck

Wandy beats Lyoto
Rampage beats whoever

Wandy vs Rampage for Forrest
Chuteboxer
7/11/08 9:34:38AM
Wow...so Machida won't fight forrest.

As much as I hate to say it, Forrest dodged the bullet there..heh.

I honestly don't wanna see Rampage rematch forrest for the title; not this way, at any rate. I'd rather see Rampage have to earn the rematch by beating another fighter or so. And I'd rather not see Chuck earn a title shot after just getting off of a two-fight losing streak, so....and I feel the same way about Wandy; he and Chuck should both win two more fights (The fights with Rashad and Thiago included) before getting title shots..
jocka
7/11/08 9:52:35AM
Machida should fight Wanday and the winner should fight the winner of Rashad/Liddel which would put the tittle on hold for a while but at least we would know who is the #1 contender
MFOTHER
7/11/08 12:11:23PM

Posted by jocka

Machida should fight Wanday and the winner should fight the winner of Rashad/Liddel which would put the tittle on hold for a while but at least we would know who is the #1 contender

and rampage gets the rematch in gthe mean time? or he is just out of title contention untill next year!?!?!
treyhodge
7/11/08 3:31:29PM
I think Machida should fight Wandy, Rampage should fight Forrest and Chuck vs. Rashad.

Winner of Wandy/Machida should meet the winner of Chuck/Rashad

Winner of that fight should get title shot.

I think the time table fits perfectly for this barring any injuries.
Rush
7/11/08 3:41:31PM
Wanderlei is probably the only guy that Machida really could face to "move up" in the rankings.

I'd say Henderson too, but I thought he ws staying at MW???

Other than that, there isn't much for Machida in terms of top ranked opponents.
Purge
7/11/08 4:04:48PM
Don't forget Dana used to be Chuck's manager.
fonduktoe
7/11/08 7:13:07PM

Posted by Purge

Don't forget Dana used to be Chuck's manager.

that would explain the mutual respect *cough* nuthugging *cough*
that they share
Aaronno9
7/11/08 7:37:10PM
Well, Machida hasn't actually beaten at top 10 fighter imo, so im not suprised hes not getting the shot. Im not one to doubt machidas skills, and i think he poses a threat to whoever is holding the belt when he does get a shot, but he doesn't deserve it yet. I mean, even when you look at the other contenders recent losses, you've got

Chuck - Losses to rampage (top 3) and jardine (top 10)
Wandy - Hendo (top 10) Chuck (top 5)
Shogun - Forrest (top 5)

all top 10s.

I think wins and losses against top 10 fighters count for more than wins over people outside the top 10 with 0 losses.
fonduktoe
7/11/08 7:41:48PM

Posted by Aaronno9

Well, Machida hasn't actually beaten at top 10 fighter imo, so im not suprised hes not getting the shot. Im not one to doubt machidas skills, and i think he poses a threat to whoever is holding the belt when he does get a shot, but he doesn't deserve it yet. I mean, even when you look at the other contenders recent losses, you've got

Chuck - Losses to rampage (top 3) and jardine (top 10)
Wandy - Hendo (top 10) Chuck (top 5)
Shogun - Forrest (top 5)

all top 10s.

I think wins and losses against top 10 fighters count for more than wins over people outside the top 10 with 0 losses.

teddythetuna
7/12/08 12:22:00PM
Just read in an interview that Machida is expecting to face Rampage or Thiago next.
fonduktoe
7/12/08 4:39:12PM

Posted by teddythetuna

Just read in an interview that Machida is expecting to face Rampage or Thiago next.

i still think they're gonna do a forrest v rampage rematch right away so my money is on thiago as his next opponent
JackHammerXXX
7/14/08 4:16:01PM
I like Chuck getting a title shot more than if Rashad wins,he get's it. I mean, Dana would cream himself over either. Forrest (student)vs. Chuck (coach) or Forrest vs. Rashad (Ultimate Fighter winners) You know how the ufc is trying to build that name.
If Machida isn't getting a shot,yet then Rampage in an immediate rematch looks likely. Now is the ufc planning on Dec. as being the date for Forrest's next defense? Which dosen't make much sense considering Griffin already sailed into this, wait another 5, 6 months. He'd a had 3 fights in almost 2 years by then!
bigbubbano23
7/14/08 6:10:56PM
good make machida show that he can be offensive, before the ufc throws him a title shot.
Wolfenstein
7/14/08 7:05:54PM
Forest has already said he wants no part of Machida. A lot of other fighters don't either. Once Machida gets a hold of that belt I think he'll reign supreme even longer than Fedor. He always seems to be on the verge of finishing off his opponents at one point in the fight, but when he jumps on them and starts reigning down punches he gets himself caught in there guard allowing them to recover.

If it's not going to be Machida, please...anyone but Chuck. If that's the case then maybe Machida should think about losing a match to Jardine to get in the title shot mix.
k2k
7/15/08 3:31:57PM
While I think Machida is a winner, once he gets taken down that will change, I mean, Tito had he been a little more adaptive should have just jits'd him when he had him...but I think Machida isn't in line as far as a title shot. Rampage is there, and then I think as some have said the winners of Wandy/Machida - Chuck/Rashad then fight, in the meantime Rampage either fights that winner or gets the rematch, if it's a rematch then that winner gets the next shot. Although you would have to say what about Forrest getting his rematch, so it my be better to let Rampage fight the winner of the afore mentioned bouts, although that could be a long sit for both Rampage and Forrest...?
Pookie
7/15/08 3:42:33PM

Posted by k2k

While I think Machida is a winner, once he gets taken down that will change, I mean, Tito had he been a little more adaptive should have just jits'd him when he had him...but I think Machida isn't in line as far as a title shot. Rampage is there, and then I think as some have said the winners of Wandy/Machida - Chuck/Rashad then fight, in the meantime Rampage either fights that winner or gets the rematch, if it's a rematch then that winner gets the next shot. Although you would have to say what about Forrest getting his rematch, so it my be better to let Rampage fight the winner of the afore mentioned bouts, although that could be a long sit for both Rampage and Forrest...?

Who can take him down? Tito didnt even come close, and he has some of the better td's in teh division.
zephead
7/15/08 4:02:23PM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by k2k

Who can take him down? Tito didnt even come close, and he has some of the better td's in teh division.

Used to have some of the best takedowns. His takedowns are from shooting and his shots are getting slower and more telegraphed. It happens to wrestlers who don't clinch but shoot. Matt Hughe's shot is getting a lot slower.

Someone who can work a clinch game will hurt him, i.e. Wandy & Shogun. Then you have guys with heavyhands that will pose a problem for him, Chuck & Rampage Plus Rampage has no problem clinching. You have Vera dropping down to 205 now. So there is competition for him to fight. Beating Tito should not get him a title shot. He alot of guys he can fight first. Guys that will band and clinch

Pookie
7/15/08 4:06:29PM

Posted by zephead

Posted by Pookie

Posted by k2k

Used to have some of the best takedowns. His takedowns are from shooting and his shots are getting slower and more telegraphed. It happens to wrestlers who don't clinch but shoot. Matt Hughe's shot is getting a lot slower.

Someone who can work a clinch game will hurt him, i.e. Wandy & Shogun. Then you have guys with heavyhands that will pose a problem for him, Chuck & Rampage Plus Rampage has no problem clinching. You have Vera dropping down to 205 now. So there is competition for him to fight. Beating Tito should not get him a title shot. He alot of guys he can fight first. Guys that will band and clinch

he was talking takedowns, all i was saying is theres very few in that division with better takedowns than tito even at this point . Rampage is the only person you mentioned there who takes people down... other than chuck & vera, the guys you mentioned are who i see giving machida the most problems.
Pages: [1] 2