Machida vs.

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Machida vs.
loonytnt
5/24/09 3:56:32AM
someone i would like to see Machida fight would be Vera. i think that fight would be a really good match up. who would you like to see Machida fight?
SociopathX
5/24/09 4:33:31AM
anderson silva or Fedor... because honestly no one else comes close at this point.
Pookie
5/24/09 4:39:14AM
Shogun i think will have the best chance out of anyone.

Accurate and powerful kicking from the outside, with a longer reach than machida, and arguable better boxing. I think someone who can fight machida on the outside and out damage them there will have the best chance at beating him.
Wolfenstein
5/24/09 4:58:36AM
I agree I'd like to see Shogun, and he probably has the best chance--and by best chance I mean comparatively speaking I have as much chance of hitting the lotto, because no one is going to beat this guy!

Rampage will be interesting as well, but I think his style might just be target practice for Machida.

I just don't think anyone can compete with that quick burst of Machida. I would say if anyone beats Machida, it's going to be a wrestler, someone who can take him down and keep him there. Not sure there is a wrestler at 205 who can do it though.
NaziZombie
5/24/09 4:58:46AM
On a good day Machida will hold the belt forever. Rampage will go down quicker the Rashard because he is too stuborn to evolve a little more with movement...

If Forrest gets through Anderson Though.....

Kpro
5/24/09 4:59:46AM
Pookie or Wolfenstein could beat him

Other than that; probably no one.
cannabusprime
5/24/09 5:14:03AM
Machida will be on top for a long time I think. That said, I would like to see him fight Wanderlei for the sake of just seeing the two of them fight.
lohmann
5/24/09 8:10:58AM

Posted by cannabusprime

Machida will be on top for a long time I think. That said, I would like to see him fight Wanderlei for the sake of just seeing the two of them fight.

Wanderlei Silva would be humiliated by Machida in the same way he would be humiliated by Anderson Silva. The aggressive Muay Thai Silva utilizes would result in a beatdown similar to the one Machida lay on Thiago Silva, probably magnified because of Wanderlei's affinity for throwing punches while leaving his face exposed.

Jackson vs. Machida will be intense, for sure, but Machida will probably frustrate him with leg kicks for a few rounds before preying on a slowed down striker with no base. Jackson probably should just be aggressive while protecting his chin early on, because the longer that fight goes, the less chance he gets to do much of anything.

I'd like to see Machida fight someone with a significant reach advantage, maybe like a Forrest Griffin. One of Evans's key problems last night was a complete inability to find a way to attack a fighter that could keep him distant, and I think Griffin has a good chance of landing a few shots on Machida that, although not powerful, produce points. I'm definitely looking forward to Griffin vs. Silva more now.

Am I the only person that finds it slightly funny that the person that has given Machida the most trouble (or the closest thing to trouble) during his UFC tenure is Tito Ortiz?
DCRage
5/24/09 8:59:32AM
For those who haven't been following the division the last couple months, Machida's first defense WILL be Rampage. It was determined when this fight happened that due to his being next in line for the shot before he had do drop out, Rampage would get the winner. Just a question of when but it won't be until after TUF 10 finishes airing.
StorminYourman
5/24/09 12:40:40PM
Jose Canseco
sbulldavid
5/24/09 1:11:22PM
Silva vs Forrest now that is going to be entertaining. Forrest has a chance of beating him, but I think Silva by 2nd round TKO.

Rampage against Machida? This is going to sound crazy, but Rampage needs to stay agressive and make Machida kick to his big block of a head. That is the only way he catches him and gets him against the fence. It's going to take a special effort from Rampage to win against Machida but I don't see Machida knocking Rampage out. Machida by decision with Rampage winning one round. What you think about that.
chickmagnet
5/24/09 1:36:48PM
I guess Machida aint so "boring" as some people use to say. I though Rashad would give him a way tougher time, and I thought this one would go past the third. Im glad Machida is now finally getting the respect that he deserves. After I watched him beat down Sokojou, I knew he would get that belt eventually.

I think Rampage may be next in line, and Rampage I believe is kind of one dimensional, and just throws power hooks, and has problems with good kickers. I see Machidaoutscoring and damaging Rampage on the fee. Machida has very good takedowns and foot sweeps. We have seen Rampage get foot swept by Dan Henderson a couple times when they fought. I wouldnt be surprised to see Machida foot sweep Rampage and submit him, because Rampage is suspect on the ground.

WAR MACHIDA
chubbud22
5/24/09 1:43:43PM

Posted by Kpro

Pookie or Wolfenstein could beat him

Other than that; probably no one.

shevtheman
5/24/09 1:44:25PM
Machida vs Forrest? Are you kidding me...i like Forrest but as accurate as Machida is he would only need to tag Forrest with one shot for him to guy flying and he wouldn't be so worried about whats coming the otherway because its not likely to KO him. Honestly right now i can't see anyone. Shogun is my fave fighter on the planet but his aggressive style would be picked apart by Machida unless he could take it to the ground and use his superior BJJ. Anderson Silva would be the closest i think anyone would get but it would be a very tentative fight with both looking to counter and the first round would probably go the same as the first one lastnight. Hendo could maybe have some joy if he could clinch him up and take him down.
shevtheman
5/24/09 1:47:14PM

Posted by chickmagnet

I guess Machida aint so "boring" as some people use to say. I though Rashad would give him a way tougher time, and I thought this one would go past the third. Im glad Machida is now finally getting the respect that he deserves. After I watched him beat down Sokojou, I knew he would get that belt eventually.

I think Rampage may be next in line, and Rampage I believe is kind of one dimensional, and just throws power hooks, and has problems with good kickers. I see Machidaoutscoring and damaging Rampage on the fee. Machida has very good takedowns and foot sweeps. We have seen Rampage get foot swept by Dan Henderson a couple times when they fought. I wouldnt be surprised to see Machida foot sweep Rampage and submit him, because Rampage is suspect on the ground.

WAR MACHIDA

Good points but Rampage has lost only once by sub i think and that was Saku years ago. I see it going as a TKO with Machida coming in and out with punches and kicks and circling with Rampage coming forward in straight lines like he does.
mkiv9secsupra
5/24/09 1:54:17PM
I would like to see Machida fight CroCop at 215lbs....... but that isnt even a possibility. Im just glad he is going to fight Rampage next. Page is a power counter puncher with not so fast strikes and he doesnt like kicks.....Machida is going to have the showing of his life against Page...and im going to love every minute of Jackson getting pummeled.

I think Forrest's reach and pwer of his leg kicks could possibly keep Machida at bay for a couple of rounds and make the fight interesting. If anyone at LHW can beat Ryoto its Griffin IMO.
Khaos
5/24/09 2:07:09PM
I think Forrest had a good chance against him, and I'd like to see him fight Shogun, ya know, for the hell of it.
mkiv9secsupra
5/24/09 2:12:39PM

Posted by Khaos
I'd like to see him fight Shogun, ya know, for the hell of it.

Id also like to see him fight Jardine and Cane for the hell of it as well, just to see how it goes. Maybe someone will actually land a meaningful shot on him.
Jackelope
5/24/09 2:26:28PM

Posted by Khaos

I think Forrest had a good chance against him, and I'd like to see him fight Shogun, ya know, for the hell of it.

I love Forrest, but I just don't see how he could deal with Lyoto. No disrespect to Forrest of course, but a couple reasons why I think so-

1) He's not as fast as Rashad, and you saw how easily Lyoto dodged both leg kicks and punches from Rashad.

2) Forrest isn't known for his phenomenal chin, and thankfully people now realize that Machida has KO power. He just knows when to pull the trigger and when not to

3) Forrest gets emotional during fights, and Machida is a master of patience

4) Forrest has struggled in the clinch, and Machida attacks with trips and strikes early and often when clinched up

Again, I'm not trying to bash Forrest here- I'm just pointing out some factors. I made a post on here a while back explaining that Rashad, to me, poses Machida the biggest threat at LHW right now. We saw how easily he dealt with that, though. I've also mentioned the fact that Machida's style is just so far beyond anyone else in the UFC at LHW. In order to beat Machida someone is going to have to adapt their game into something I haven't seen before. I thought a master game planner like Greg Jackson may have a few tricks up his sleeve, but I guess that didn't prove true.

Someone will have to try something like screwing up Machida's timing a la Keith Jardine style fighting. I can't see that happening any time soon, and I don't mean to say that Keith Jardine can beat him, either. The dude is just a straight up puzzle. No better way to put it.

BTW- for any of you interested in traditional martial arts: The old Karate vs. Kung Fu argument in a way was solved by Bruce Lee, and that may apply here. He knew that when facing a Karate practicioner Kung Fu's trapping techniques wouldn't work because Karate fighters moved too much. When Bruce Lee developed the way of the intercepting fist it was a good answer to Karate's in and out attacks. So, if a fighter who has excellent timing, excellent speed, and incredible reaction time can develop a JKD style offense, we may find the answer to Machida's puzzle. Unfortunately Machida seems to have developed all of those on the offensive side of his Karate base, too. So we'll see what happens
Wallass
5/24/09 2:53:25PM
I wanna see him take on GSP. I know they are seperated by 35 lbs but that is my dream match for sure.
TNPanther78
5/24/09 3:03:08PM
Judging by Machidas preformence last night, he proved to me that he is indeed a master at the game and will be on top for a while. IMO Rampage doesn't have what it takes to beat Machida cause he is slow and powerful, as is Forrest. No hate to any fighters just my opinion. Vera won't make it to the top, Shogun is probly the only fighter AS OF RIGHT NOW I want to see fight Machida.
ravanunen
5/24/09 3:12:35PM
I think Page stands a chance if he reverts back to his early GnP/Slam strategy, but then again that's all contigent on him being able to take Lyoto down. Lyoto will more than likely outpoint him, but i'm not sure he can KO him

I'm really disappointed rashad didn't use more of his wrestling (but not as disappointed as I am with sherk)

Other LHW contenders:

Griffin- I think if he gets through Silva that will prepare him well for Lyoto. I think his reach might give Lyoto some problems, but doubt he could finish, and eventually will be outpointed by Lyoto.

Shogun- It would be an interesting match up but I think Lyoto is a better striker, and I doubt Shogun could get him down

I think Lyoto will be champion for a while, and I am not very happy about that
Aether
5/24/09 3:23:06PM
Well Rashad didn't really have any opportunities to use his wrestling to be fair. Sherk definitely did. Machida is, as joe rogan loves to let us know, just so elusive. It's so incredibly hard to make any kind of contact with him, let alone score a takedown. Especially for Rashad who has shorter reach than the majority of the division.

I really saw this as the worst possible matchup for Rashad. Machida's style works against everyone, but it was pretty much perfect for countering Rashad's style.

Who has the best CHANCE to beat him? Maybe Shogun right now? But truthfully I don't think anyone has a very good chance at all against him. I think we're going to see the first long title reign at LHW since Chuck lost the belt. I have to take Machida as a heavy favourite against anyone in the division at this point.

His evasive, countering style combined with his speed, long reach, and clinch work is going to make him INSANELY difficult for anyone to take down or compete with on the feet. I just hope he continues this trend of actively creating openings instead of just waiting for them to happen. I don't want to see him go into Tim Sylvia mode here and just "defend" the belt.
telnights
5/24/09 3:23:55PM
I thought about this after last nights event and I really don't know of any current LHW that I would pick over Machida. Some have said Shogun but I think Shogun's style plays right in to Machida's hands. Forrest lacks the speed or chin to deal with him. Rampage is way to flat footed and again lacks the speed also. Jardine is a lesser version of Rashad.
Bloodhound
5/24/09 3:53:10PM
its pretty much 100% that Rampage will fight Lyoto next...interesting fight Lyoto is alot quicker and Rampage is alot stronger, Lyoto can go in and out with his strikes quick but Rampage is a strong counter puncher so Lyoto has to be careful not to eat one...if Rampage would take the fight to the floor i think he has a better chance of winning

@ chickmagnet
Lyoto without a doubt has better ju jitsu, but Rampage's submission defense is very underrated he has only been submitted once early in his career by Sakuraba
chickmagnet
5/24/09 4:04:33PM

Posted by Bloodhound

its pretty much 100% that Rampage will fight Lyoto next...interesting fight Lyoto is alot quicker and Rampage is alot stronger, Lyoto can go in and out with his strikes quick but Rampage is a strong counter puncher so Lyoto has to be careful not to eat one...if Rampage would take the fight to the floor i think he has a better chance of winning

@ chickmagnet
Lyoto without a doubt has better ju jitsu, but Rampage's submission defense is very underrated he has only been submitted once early in his career by Sakuraba

Rampage wont be able to take the fight to the floor, if anyone takes anyone down Machida will take Rampage down probably with a foot sweep. Sure Machida doesn't look as strong because his muscles aren't all huge, but theyre leaner muscles, which are just as good if not better. Machida was stronger than Evans, and Tito. And Machida I think is a little more precise than Forrest when it comes to jiu jitsu, so i was just saying a sub is possible.
Bloodhound
5/24/09 4:11:02PM

Posted by chickmagnet

Rampage wont be able to take the fight to the floor, if anyone takes anyone down Machida will take Rampage down probably with a foot sweep. Sure Machida doesn't look as strong because his muscles aren't all huge, but theyre leaner muscles, which are just as good if not better. Machida was stronger than Evans, and Tito. And Machida I think is a little more precise than Forrest when it comes to jiu jitsu, so i was just saying a sub is possible.

im not saying Lyoto is weak because he isn't but i think Rampage is stronger...and anything is possible but Rampage's sub defense is very good
loonytnt
5/24/09 8:19:38PM
lots of people dont think rampage has a chance in this one? as a fighter i know ANYONE has a chance when they get into the cage, machida imo has not had his chin checked, if rampage gets to hit him it not going to feel good, i think rampage will be ready for this
enrique1
5/24/09 9:07:37PM
I'm glad machida won last night. I loved when he said " karate is back". I have been reading post on here and other websites. The things is everyone trys too compare his striking that of a boxer. Which is like comparing apples and oranges; two way different skills set. The stances are are different the way the punches are thrown, body movement. Rampage is strong and a good wrestler but i know machida sumo wrestling would subdue rampage's wrestling. And there again apples and oranges,from Amteur wreslting too Sumo Wrestling. Which Machida is a champion in. So for someone to beat machida it's going to be someone who thinks out of the box of everyone regular mma styles of Muay Thai, wrestling, Bjj, boxing. To bad almost everyone thinks that other styling of Martial Arts are not effective...but then again how people said that karate is none effective in mma today. Machida just proved everyone wrong.........lol
nbf
5/25/09 10:25:08AM
I'd like to see Machida vs Anderson Silva for the technical part of the fight.

I know most of the fans will boo a lot during the fight but I don't care.