Mac Danzig vs. Donald Cerrone grudge match slatted for UFC 131 in Vancouver

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Mac Danzig vs. Donald Cerrone grudge match slatted for UFC 131 in Vancouver
Budgellism
3/14/11 5:55:27PM
Some good good ol' trash-talking has secured Mac Danzig (20-8-1 MMA, 4-4 UFC) a fight with fellow lightweight Donald Cerrone (14-3 MMA, 1-0 UFC) at UFC 131.

UFC officials today announced the June 11 bout, which came about after Danzig's recent Twitter insults.

"So all you have to do to secure a fight you haven't earned is wear a silly hate, call yourself 'Cowboy' and talk trash?" Danzig wrote in January after Cerrone earned a late-replacement booking with Paul Kelly.

LINK
FastKnockout
3/14/11 7:05:45PM
Nice! It seems as if every fight Cerrone is in can be considered a grudge match. I'll give a slight edge to Cerrone come fight time.
Twenty20Dollars
3/14/11 7:27:24PM
Seems a little out of character of the "new" Danzig we saw KOing Stevenson, who seemed more relaxed.

But should be a solid fight and I've got Cerrone.
DeadHead988
3/14/11 7:40:21PM
This should be an awesome fight! Cowboy FTW!
GSPCanada
3/14/11 7:43:52PM
I never saw that twitter. but danzig shouldn't talk, the guy got his spot in the ufc by beating probably the worst ultimate fighter cast ever. cerrone will dominate him
tallica62
3/14/11 7:47:04PM
cerrone all the way..love watching him fight
postman
3/14/11 8:24:28PM
Pulling for Mac but thats cause he is from about 10 min from my house
sbulldavid
3/14/11 8:42:04PM
Danzig is a tough guy, but I don't know that he can beat Cowboy unless he can hold him on his back for three rounds.
Twenty20Dollars
3/14/11 9:22:23PM

Posted by GSPCanada

I never saw that twitter. but danzig shouldn't talk, the guy got his spot in the ufc by beating probably the worst ultimate fighter cast ever. cerrone will dominate him

George should have won that season or should have been George vs Mac in the finals.
DeadHead988
3/14/11 10:36:02PM

Posted by sbulldavid

Danzig is a tough guy, but I don't know that he can beat Cowboy unless he can hold him on his back for three rounds.

Actually, fighting off his back is possibly the strongest part of Cerrone's game, he's got a nasty omoplata/triangle switchoff!
Budgellism
3/14/11 11:13:25PM

Posted by DeadHead988

Posted by sbulldavid

Actually, fighting off his back is possibly the strongest part of Cerrone's game, he's got a nasty omoplata/triangle switchoff!

I have to be honest here, I see absolutely no chance of Danzig winning this fight.
quezocrema0032
3/14/11 11:22:34PM
Before the 2nd Varner fight I wouldn't have picked The Cowboy over Mac, but now I think they may be equals on the ground but I think Cerrone is a better Striker and oddly the better wrestler as he proved against Varner.
Kugel
3/15/11 7:20:41AM
That is funny....Danzig just got a fight he doesn't really deserve by talking trash and hoping that the bees are happy on this day.
emfleek
3/15/11 8:52:14AM

Posted by Kugel

That is funny....Danzig just got a fight he doesn't really deserve by talking trash and hoping that the bees are happy on this day.

Why doesn't he deserve it? Cerrone hasn't exactly been shredding the competition. Danzig's most recent win over Stevenson is more impressive than any win Cerrone has on his resume, imo.

With that being said...I'll be hoping for a double KO.
gartface
3/15/11 9:26:30AM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Kugel

Why doesn't he deserve it? Cerrone hasn't exactly been shredding the competition. Danzig's most recent win over Stevenson is more impressive than any win Cerrone has on his resume, imo.

Hahahaha. Now that you mention it, so will I!

Should be a barn-burner though.
DeadHead988
3/15/11 9:45:22AM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Kugel

I've really gotta disagree, nearly every fight Cerrone's is has been impressive as hell
jjeans
3/15/11 9:46:55AM

Posted by Kugel

Didn't Jorge Rivera trash talk his way into a fight... And look what came of that.
emfleek
3/15/11 10:04:29AM

Posted by DeadHead988

I've really gotta disagree, nearly every fight Cerrone's is has been impressive as hell

I don't disagree with that. I'd argue that he's looked impressive against so-so competition, which isn't all that impressive as far as I'm concerned.

I just think that Danzig's impressive KO win over Stevenson is better than any win that Cerrone has. A win over Jamie Varner is nothing to write home about. The same goes for Horodecki. Cerrone's biggest win to date is against Paul Kelly who isn't exactly a world beater.
Kugel
3/15/11 10:51:57AM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by DeadHead988

I don't disagree with that. I'd argue that he's looked impressive against so-so competition, which isn't all that impressive as far as I'm concerned.

I just think that Danzig's impressive KO win over Stevenson is better than any win that Cerrone has. A win over Jamie Varner is nothing to write home about. The same goes for Horodecki. Cerrone's biggest win to date is against Paul Kelly who isn't exactly a world beater.

Joe Stevenson is a decent win. But that guy isn't exactly a world beater either. A quality gatekeeper, but I would guess that Kelly could beat him. Neither him nor Danzig have been good lately.

I was just saying that Danzig hasn't really done anything either. Outside of Daddy, he usually loses to UFC caliber guys.
GSPCanada
3/15/11 11:54:28AM
In hindsight the bocek submission is more impressive but danzig was on a 3 fight slide and many of us questioned his place in the ufc, i felt like that stevensen fight was a get joe back on track and give mac his walking papers fight, but danzig beat the odds, and good for him. in my own opinion I don't think he'll be able to do that again and im expecting cerrone to show everyone that danzig isn't some stud standing up
prozacnation1978
3/15/11 12:46:49PM
Good fight. I think cerrone will take this.
Should be a scrap
I love grudge fights!!