Mac Danzig vs. Clay Guida on tap for UFC 87

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Mac Danzig vs. Clay Guida on tap for UFC 87
SmileR
5/25/08 8:10:47AM

"The Ultimate Fighter 6" winner Mac Danzig (18-4-1 MMA, 2-0 UFC) will look to continue his ascent in the UFC's lightweight division when he meets Clay Guida (23-9 MMA, 3-3 UFC) at UFC 87.

A source close to Guida told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that the fighters recently agreed to the August bout.

UFC 87, which now features a main event between UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre and top contender Jon Fitch, takes place Aug. 9 at the Target Center in Minneapolis.

Danzig, a former King of the Cage champ who dominated the sixth season of "TUF," defeated Tommy Speer at the show's live finale. He then dropped from welterweight to lightweight at UFC 83 and defeated Canadian Mark Bocek via third-round submission. It was his 10th submission victory -- and 14th stoppage -- in 18 career victories.

As for the perpetually tested Guida, he gets another tough fight in the UFC. Although 3-3 in the organizatiom, the losses have come to notables Din Thomas, Tyson Griffin and Roger Huerta. He most recently defeated Samy Schiavo at UFC Fight Night 13 with a first-round TKO. Guida, a former Strikeforce champ, will look to put together his first back-to-back wins in the UFC.

Link
nickcuc547
5/25/08 12:09:18PM
nice to see danzig getting a big test. this will be a good fight but i see guida's wrestling and pace getting him a decision.
CantAndleDaRiddum
5/25/08 12:11:57PM
sweet fight. i dont see Danzig winning this but i dont wanna pick against him either. this is gonna be a headache to pick IMO
imanidiot777
5/25/08 12:27:49PM
This is almost as hard to pick as Huerta vs. Florian, I have no idea where to go yet.
IriShame
5/25/08 12:36:35PM
Gotta go with Guida on this one. I think he will push the pace to a point that will make Danzig uncomfortable enough to lose a decision.
whardin19
5/25/08 12:39:00PM
Dude! This is a really good fight. I'm not even totally sure who will win but I'm just happy there not giving Danzig anymore tools. Time to step up to the big boys Danzig.
xposipx
5/25/08 12:42:59PM

Posted by whardin19

Dude! This is a really good fight. I'm not even totally sure who will win but I'm just happy there not giving Danzig anymore tools. Time to step up to the big boys Danzig.

Bocek isn't a "tool" and this is only his second fight after TUF. I have no idea what you're talking about.
CantAndleDaRiddum
5/25/08 12:49:42PM

Posted by xposipx

Posted by whardin19

Bocek isn't a "tool" and this is only his second fight after TUF. I have no idea what you're talking about.

OUCH! that Av's gotta hurt
missypie
5/25/08 12:56:07PM

Posted by CantAndleDaRiddum

Posted by xposipx

Posted by whardin19

OUCH! that Av's gotta hurt

haha, i know for a fact he supports gay marriage!!!
beerman77
5/25/08 1:02:45PM
should be a good fight ,, but dont think danzig will be able to over come in this one .. clay 2nd rd sub.
Twenty20Dollars
5/25/08 1:18:04PM
This is a bad fight for danzig, clay is much bigger and stronger.

Clay has better striking, power and wrestling

Danzig prolly has better jits, but i dont see him being able to take guida down or outstriking or out wrestling him.

Clay either wins UD or 2nd round tko.
bustin_mma
5/25/08 1:47:30PM
i wouldent go as far as to say that Clay has better striking but he is definitly no slouch. Clay has better wrestling conditioning, but the jits and strikes gotta go to Danzig. IMO shes a 50/50. great fight, cant wait.
tylerlee123
5/25/08 2:24:34PM
Danzig will have some problems with this one , it will be a war i see this one playing out a lot like Heurta - Guida probaly the same finish too for Danzig hopefully
quezocrema0032
5/25/08 2:34:51PM
this fight has to be all guida i mean the only thing going for danzig is he trains with really good wrestlers that will help him prevent the take down but if matt bocek a great jits guy can take down danzing more then once then i have 2 say guida will to
ncordless
5/25/08 3:26:17PM
I am going with Danzig all the way. Guida is game but he is just not as skilled as Mac.
jae_1833
5/25/08 4:27:50PM
Nice match up....gotta go with Guida on this one...the stiking will go back and forth but I don't think that Mac's jits is going to outdo Clay's wrestling/GNP. Not to mention the pace Clay is going to push here will be insane as always!!! TKO Round 2... WAR GUIDA!!!!!
MMAcca
5/25/08 4:55:24PM
This is a big test for Danzig. Guida is the gatekeeper at 155 imo and for Danzig to prove he is a legitimate contender he will have to beat Clay to show it.

Danzig has impressed me everytime i've seen him fight and i'll take him for another win against a tough opponent in Clay Guida.
bigbubbano23
5/25/08 5:02:56PM
danzig is gonna get ktfo quick. he cant handle the tenacity of guida
dannyfrank
5/25/08 5:24:00PM
man, it seems like everyone is counting out danzig. i think he has a good chance at winning this fight. the truth is that it can go either way. if mac fights smart, he can win
prozacnation1978
5/25/08 7:39:55PM
for a guy who barely got passed bocek,
i think clay guida is gonna go caveman on his ass!!
excellent fight, i don't understand why danzig is getting him and diaz needs so good competion as well. i see this as a fight of the night but man is aug pulling out all the stops and giving us a better pay per view than the one last night. aug might be fight card of the year!!
MMAcca
5/26/08 2:13:37AM

Posted by prozacnation1978

for a guy who barely got passed bocek,
i think clay guida is gonna go caveman on his ass!!
excellent fight, i don't understand why danzig is getting him and diaz needs so good competion as well. i see this as a fight of the night but man is aug pulling out all the stops and giving us a better pay per view than the one last night. aug might be fight card of the year!!

84 was one of the best cards for a long time imo
EON
5/26/08 7:16:12AM
I think i'll end up picking Danzig but i got Guida by UD at the moment
pharside
5/26/08 1:14:34PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

This is a bad fight for danzig, clay is much bigger and stronger.

Clay has better striking, power and wrestling

Danzig prolly has better jits, but i dont see him being able to take guida down or outstriking or out wrestling him.

Clay either wins UD or 2nd round tko.

You really think he's bigger and stronger? wait till they stand next to each other Danzig is a big ass 155'er. Guida is an animal but, Danzig is so calm I just see him getting Guida in an arm bar or choke for some reason.
coldchillin
5/27/08 1:39:45PM
I have a feeling this is going to be a war of attrition. I'll have to take Guida if this goes to a decision... it'll be interesting to see how Danzig reacts to somebody as active and crazy as Guida is. Looking forward to this one.