Mac Danzig

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » Spoilers Forum » Mac Danzig
Jackelope
11/15/07 2:31:35AM
Unbelievable domination on tonight's TUF. He really looked calm and in it to win it. Personally I haven't doubted him since the beginning, but I'm wondering if there are those out there who did doubt him and are now doubting that same decision?
cmill21
11/15/07 3:54:51AM
I've been hoping for him to dominate the season. I think he's good enough everywhere to take it. It literally looked like a student sparring with his teacher. People have been saying "oh mac's a prick" and all that crap, but what do you expect a guy to do when he's trapped with people he hates?
spikerman19
11/15/07 9:17:00AM
I feel bad for Mac,why is he on the any way he is easily the best fighter on the show and way more to lose if he gets beat then if he were to win.He will win in imo I think he is the most talented TUF fighter ever.
jomatty
11/15/07 10:46:34AM
it was interesting to hear that the fighters seemed more afraid of george. i dont know much about him, but noone in the house likes him either so i hope that they end up against each other in the finale...

serra goofed by not putting the two hughes guys up against each other. it would have been great just to see matt throw a "fit"
kevietre
11/15/07 11:44:17AM
MMAnomale
11/15/07 11:55:52AM
Mac showed another side of himself, and in the cage, went at it like a job, and finished his opponent. It'll be interesting to see who he will have to face next, and who it comes down to. Danzig's got experience, and he's a good fighter.
SpiderSilva
11/15/07 2:14:45PM
is just me or does Hughes make more of an ass of himself every week
wolfman
11/15/07 2:23:55PM

Posted by cmill21

I've been hoping for him to dominate the season. I think he's good enough everywhere to take it. It literally looked like a student sparring with his teacher. People have been saying "oh mac's a prick" and all that crap, but what do you expect a guy to do when he's trapped with people he hates?

I always end up agreeing with you cmill21. lol That fight was total domination.
wolfman
11/15/07 2:29:36PM

Posted by SpiderSilva

How did he this week? I think Serra looks like an ass more often. He is constantly cursing out Hughes and doing stupid impersonations. Don't get me wrong, Hughes does take his shots at Serra too. It just seems that Serra acts more childish, as if he's back in grade school and mocking a kid he doesn't like.
Kainlock
11/15/07 2:39:51PM
Huges is an ass just because.
SpiderSilva
11/15/07 2:55:48PM

Posted by wolfman

Posted by SpiderSilva

How did he this week? I think Serra looks like an ass more often. He is constantly cursing out Hughes and doing stupid impersonations. Don't get me wrong, Hughes does take his shots at Serra too. It just seems that Serra acts more childish, as if he's back in grade school and mocking a kid he doesn't like.

you know at least Serra atempts to get to know his fighter Hughes treats em like crap he is rude Serra is an ass to but at least he show respect first and if he doesnt get it back then hell let you know Hughes just seems like He thinks he better than everyone
wolfman
11/15/07 3:36:52PM
Fair enough, I understand you now. Thanks for fully explaining your previous reply.
fedorwins1
11/15/07 3:48:52PM
I still don't "like" Danzig that much, but I will admit he was very impressive last night; he stuffed every takedown John tried and every chance he got he was hitting the body, little peppering shots, etc.
Jackelope
11/15/07 6:39:55PM

Posted by SpiderSilva

you know at least Serra atempts to get to know his fighter Hughes treats em like crap he is rude Serra is an ass to but at least he show respect first and if he doesnt get it back then hell let you know Hughes just seems like He thinks he better than everyone

Obviously it's a matter of opinion, so I'm not going to sway you, but I felt like writing anyway.

Hughes come from MFS and they're known for their military style leadership. Having been in the military myself I was definitely exposed to this kind of attitude from people. The "tough love" concept. I gotta say when done right these people can be some of the greatest teachers/superiors/whatever you want to call them.

If you go back and watch Season 2 of TUF you'll see that Matt really does care about his guys in that season. There's a quote in which he says "I didn't come here to make friends, but somewhere along the lines, it happened." I think Hughes learned a lot from that season and he's applied it to this season. For a guy like Hughes who demands so much of himself and cares so much about competition and the guys he trains, it's heart breaking to watch your guys lose. So you tend to develop an "I don't care" attitude on the outside, but really inside you want to see your guys succeed so badly that you're afraid it's going to cost you. Hughes is covered by cameras all day every day there, and for him to show that it is getting to him makes him lose face. That's a tough thing to deal with when you're a successful competitor who rarely fails at anything.

I gotta say after all my experience in the military and my deployments in Iraq that it is a hell of a lot harder to be the mean guy who makes tough and callous decisions. Anybody can go out there and be a real nice guy and try to make everyone like him. I'm not dogging Serra (since he's obviously doing a great job at being a coach) but sometimes that rough leadership is exactly what guys need. Hughes probably feels this is the case.

I'm sure there are 928342938472938479234789 other reasons why he's doing what he's doing. I have always and will always respect what Hughes has done for MMA and what his personal accomplishments in the octagon are. At the same time I have a great respect for Serra's own accomplishments and I think we'll be seeing him for a while yet.
SpiderSilva
11/15/07 7:35:12PM

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by SpiderSilva

Obviously it's a matter of opinion, so I'm not going to sway you, but I felt like writing anyway.

Hughes come from MFS and they're known for their military style leadership. Having been in the military myself I was definitely exposed to this kind of attitude from people. The "tough love" concept. I gotta say when done right these people can be some of the greatest teachers/superiors/whatever you want to call them.

If you go back and watch Season 2 of TUF you'll see that Matt really does care about his guys in that season. There's a quote in which he says "I didn't come here to make friends, but somewhere along the lines, it happened." I think Hughes learned a lot from that season and he's applied it to this season. For a guy like Hughes who demands so much of himself and cares so much about competition and the guys he trains, it's heart breaking to watch your guys lose. So you tend to develop an "I don't care" attitude on the outside, but really inside you want to see your guys succeed so badly that you're afraid it's going to cost you. Hughes is covered by cameras all day every day there, and for him to show that it is getting to him makes him lose face. That's a tough thing to deal with when you're a successful competitor who rarely fails at anything.

I gotta say after all my experience in the military and my deployments in Iraq that it is a hell of a lot harder to be the mean guy who makes tough and callous decisions. Anybody can go out there and be a real nice guy and try to make everyone like him. I'm not dogging Serra (since he's obviously doing a great job at being a coach) but sometimes that rough leadership is exactly what guys need. Hughes probably feels this is the case.

I'm sure there are 928342938472938479234789 other reasons why he's doing what he's doing. I have always and will always respect what Hughes has done for MMA and what his personal accomplishments in the octagon are. At the same time I have a great respect for Serra's own accomplishments and I think we'll be seeing him for a while yet.

I dont see any real leadership coming from him all I was saying is the longer he talks on TV the more of an ass he makes himself out to be. Also there is a saying "The team is only as good as their leader" or "It not the team its the leader" he may be a great fighter and helped MMA get where it is today. oh 1 more saying " looks like a duck walks like a duck must be a duck(ass)"
buckndro
11/15/07 8:37:08PM
serra acts that cuase hughs treats serra like shit thinking he isn't a good champ an shouldnt have one an also hughs carrys himself as he is better they anyone else, as they said comes down to who like better but as fhr serra making fun of hughs with the impressions are funny.. why? cuase they look just like him an thats way he is ...
Jackelope
11/15/07 8:43:26PM
Well I wouldn't want to get personal here, but you've shown a lack of respect so I guess I'll take the gloves off.

First of all- I question the judgement of anybody in a situation when given by somebody who's never been in said situation or another one like it.

Second of all, calling Matt Hughes an "ass" accomplishes nothing.

If you want to say "Walks like a duck, talks like a duck, is a duck." Then I guess what you mean to tell me is that Matt Hughes is one of the most highly accomplished fighters in the history of MMA, has trained men at one of the most successful camps in MMA, and has vast amounts of coaching experience/WINNING experience over Matt Serra.

Recall when everyone thought Hughes was a total "ass" in Season 2. Then Rashad Evans had to be cornered by Matt Hughes, even though Matt had made himself an "ass" specifically to Rashad Evans. Evans wasn't happy about the decision, but after the fight was over (which he won, btw) he was ecstatic about Matt's coaching and said he learned a lot of great things. Or recall Mac Danzig's own little "speech" after he won that fight that aired yesterday. When he said he couldn't be happier to be a part of Team Hughes.

Read Mac Danzig's own blog in which he constantly talks about how Hughes was tough on the show, but in retrospect he learned many great things and now he sees why Matt did the things he did.

Point is- there's plenty of facts out there by people who were much more closely related to the Matt Hughes situation that show Matt was, in fact, a great coach. Some NOBODY on the internet calling out one of the greatest fighters in the history of the game on something he is not even a part of just reeks of an outright disrespect to me. Sure, it's an opinion, and as stated before, there's no way I can sway you.

I just urge you to take into consideration the fact that you see maybe a total of 10 minutes of actual Matt Hughes each time you watch that show. And I also urge you to be aware of the fact that those 10 minutes you see are hand picked by the show's producers/writers in order to display a certain attitude so as to generate controversy. Controversy that you, apparently, are nothing but happy to buy into and judge a man by. I take people by what they themselves accomplish/show me. Not by what somebody shows me through their own vision which is clouded with personal motives/prejudices.

I guarantee you that if you take every single fighter that was on Hughes' team and ask them if they learned anything or took any valuable lessons out of training with Matt Hughes not a single one of them will say no. Then again, you know so much about leadership and training people that I'm sure you wouldn't learn anything from one of the most successful men in the business, right?

Scott_Revels
11/15/07 9:37:19PM
I'm hoping for a George vs Matt Finale.. I'm going to say that Matt beats Troy, and George beats Richie. I'm kind've iffy on the Speers/Saunders fight, but i'm leaning towards Ben.. Then i'm hoping that George beats Mac, and Matt beats Ben. The only way Matt or Ben are making it to the Finale is if George and Mac fight.

Mac vs Matt = Mac
Mac vs Ben = Mac
Mac vs George = George
George vs Matt = George
George vs Ben = George
Matt vs Ben = Matt (in my opinion)

Looking at that, the only way Ben or Matt will go onto the finale is for Mac and George to fight..
wagere
11/16/07 8:56:32AM

Posted by SpiderSilva

It's just you.
wolfman
11/16/07 4:44:56PM

Posted by buckndro

serra acts that cuase hughs treats serra like shit thinking he isn't a good champ an shouldnt have one an also hughs carrys himself as he is better they anyone else, as they said comes down to who like better but as fhr serra making fun of hughs with the impressions are funny.. why? cuase they look just like him an thats way he is ...

HUH??? I guess hooked on phonics didn't work for you...I just couldn't resist that corny joke
SpiderSilva
11/17/07 1:14:33AM
didnt dan from the show come out and say Hughes injered a bunch of guys on the show yeah he was graet but these guys are trying to start their lives and then hughes herts em cool he knows what he can do to these young guy but still does it must be me no repect that what I see
Jackelope
11/17/07 2:10:58AM
Dan never said that Hughes hurt people because they trained too hard. He said that the pace was too frantic on the show in general. It's the TUF program's fault, not Hughes, or anybody else for that matter.

If it has to be anybody's fault how about the fact that Dan himself was beating up on guys in practice and they all did interviews in front of the camera saying Dan was going too hard on guys. Hence, why Dan got hurt- because Hughes taught him a lesson that you can't beat the shit out of guys, you're there to help train, not to hurt those guys. Or did you conveniently miss that episode?
itsfrankwhite
11/17/07 2:02:15PM
Hughes is an ego maniac. Totally lets his better then life attitude get the best of him. A coach i do NOT see in the future for Hughes. Fighting, definitely one of the best.. I also have Hughes Work-out regime floating @ the top of the list.
M. Hughes damn right should be proud of becoming 9 time UFC welterweight champion
11/18/07 7:16:17PM
do any of you think that anyone on tuf can beat mac, alot of the fighters on the show think the best fighter is george, both have experince against good compition george has fought aoki. and mac fought sakuri. who do you think has the edge.
cmill21
11/18/07 8:14:01PM

Posted by 905010

do any of you think that anyone on tuf can beat mac, alot of the fighters on the show think the best fighter is george, both have experince against good compition george has fought aoki. and mac fought sakuri. who do you think has the edge.

I like mac's chances. He did pretty good in the first round against Mach, and has fought IMO better competition. George isn't a striker(unless he's fighting jrock), and mac's good on his back, on the ground everywhere. Shinya has lost to mach, so out of their big fights I think Mac's was bigger, plus it was in pride, not shooto. I give mac the advantage everywhere but size(even though george isn't huge). I also think george's additude will get the better of him, he apperently thinks he's so much better then mac and everyone else he will most likely be over confident setting the table for him getting schooled like john or upset by....richie?
tlangley
11/27/07 11:23:19PM
Mac reminds me of Ed Herman. anyone else notice that, they look and kinda talk alike
Aaronno9
11/28/07 6:51:22AM
yeh i think he looks like ed to. I think hes a pretty cool guy, he might be miserable somtimes but its just the way he is, its not like he intentionally goes round being a dick. I thought that little speech he gave after his last win was pretty cool, just to let his team he does apprieciate them even if he doesnt want to have fun in the house with them and stuff. I personally think hes on another level from anybody in the house and should win the show without to much trouble. I think with a solid camp behind him he could push himself into the top 10 ufc lws.