Lyoto Machida willing to meet GSP at 185 for middleweight fight

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Lyoto Machida willing to meet GSP at 185 for middleweight fight
Shawn91111
9/26/12 9:57:08PM
Despite a promised title shot after an impressive showing against Ryan Bader at UFC on Fox 4, Lyoto Machida is now out of the immediate title picture. He spoke with Globo Esporte on a number of topics, including UFC 152 and his desire to fight welterweight king, Georges St. Pierre, at middleweight.

Lyoto Machida, one of the top Light Heavyweight Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) talents, was recently on the cusp of receiving a much desired rematch with current champion, Jon Jones. After his impressive knockout of Ryan Bader at UFC on Fox 4, he was promised a title shot against the winner of the Jon Jones vs. Dan Henderson fight that was scheduled for UFC 151.

LINK
ghandikush
9/26/12 10:31:36PM
I bet he's willing.
kopower
9/26/12 10:39:13PM
Read the headline too fast. Thought it said will meet GSP. I was like
jlock003
9/26/12 10:39:22PM
Soooo GSP leaves his weight class....Silva leaves his....Lyoto leaves his...and the MW belt gets vacated and put on the line????
ghandikush
9/26/12 10:42:30PM

Posted by jlock003

Soooo GSP leaves his weight class....Silva leaves his....Lyoto leaves his...and the MW belt gets vacated and put on the line????

Hopefully
Manak
9/27/12 12:09:14AM
enough of GSP at 185, he keeps restating that timing has to be perfect and it never is, unless rory mcdonald becomes the clear number 1 contender; he is staying at 170

find it ironic that now that GSP has had a major injury and long layoff, andy and now lyoto want him

Chael_Sonnen
9/27/12 12:24:27AM
He won't have to cut much PISS to make 85

Go get 'em Dragon!
tcunningham
9/27/12 12:31:43AM
i would be alright with this matchup. definitely not the draw of a GSP vs silva fight but what the hell. the change would be good. i think GSP has alot to take care of in his own weightclass first.
Sir_Karl
9/27/12 12:48:12AM
This crap is getting old and boring.
Poor_Franklin
9/27/12 5:00:28AM
So GSP sits out nearly 2 years with an injury & now all these people decide they want to call him out????

i bet a lot of guys would like a shot at a guy who hasn't fought in 2 years! GSP might not have been the most exciting, but he sure was dominant & I love how everyone wants to take a shot at him since he's been out for so long.

thevoodooninja
9/27/12 7:52:27AM

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by jlock003

Hopefully

Hopefully not
jjeans
9/27/12 8:09:50AM

Posted by voodoo-jitsu

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by jlock003

Hopefully

Hopefully not

How about we really shake things up, have Shogun and Rashad also drop down to MW as well.
icantthinkofanything
9/27/12 8:49:50AM
Where has GSP been while training? It seems he should have been able and willing to comment on the rumors of superfight with Silva, and now Lyoto. I would like to see them fight, becasue Lyoto has his groove back, but I can imagine it to be a play it safe fight. GSP could win but I do think size could come into play in the fight.
Dberntson
9/27/12 10:35:25AM
This is a joke. Not only has GSP been out for almost two years, he is also a much smaller fighter then Silva and Lyota. Silva is a large middleweight and Lyota is a LWH (granted a smaller one, but still two divisions above GSP. If they want to fight him, they need to drop to a 170 as he is the champ or at the least drop to a catchweight around 178.

Otherwise maybe GSP should start calling out Ben Henderson and Jose Aldo to fight at 165. I'm sure those two would love to try that out.

They need to let GSP heal up, see how he does against Carlos and then go from there. I think he will win, but the question is will he be dominant. Also there are a number of new contenders now.

Dont get me wrong, I would love to see GSP vs. Silva, assuming GSP comes out as dominant as in the past. If not, let him get the rust and get back in his old form.
JLS1980
9/27/12 11:02:42AM
This is crazy. GSP is Finally making his return after this very long layoff. The WW division has quite a bit of contenders now and I think that should be GSP's biggest and only concern right now.

First he's gonna have to fight Carlos Condit at UFC 154 and get rid of the phony interim belt that Condit is so very proud of. GSP's 2nd match will be (providing he wins and he should) against the Hendricks vs Kampmann winner. From there it will be hard to tell whats next. If Diaz returns that is a possibility that many of GSP and Diaz fans would love to see. Ellenberger is still towards the top of the division with his only set back coming against Kampmann. Also if Erick Silva beats Jon Fitch, he will be up there with the top contenders.

If Machida is so anxious to fight someone give him Bones Jones. Oh wait he doesn't like that idea. Well give hime Anderson. That would make more since IMO.

Manak
9/27/12 11:13:49AM

Posted by icantthinkofanything

Where has GSP been while training? It seems he should have been able and willing to comment on the rumors of superfight with Silva, and now Lyoto. I would like to see them fight, becasue Lyoto has his groove back, but I can imagine it to be a play it safe fight. GSP could win but I do think size could come into play in the fight.

because GSP is to smart to get sucked into that. he takes one fight at a time cause last time he didn't he lost.
ghandikush
9/27/12 11:30:54AM

Posted by icantthinkofanything

Lyoto has always had his groove, he just had a close fight and got crewed out of a decision. Knockouts happen and Jon is Jon.......
Dberntson
9/27/12 1:30:48PM
If these guys really wanted to be tested, they should be calling out larger fighters not smaller ones that have been sitting on the injured reserve list for the last two years. Instead of calling out the lighter champ, these guys should be calling out the bigger champs. Not that they will or that it will happen, but Silva should call out Jones and Lyota should call out Dos Sontos.
jlock003
9/27/12 1:40:56PM
It is illogical as all get out to me to be considering the Machida/GSP fight right now, but I can see why people would get excited about it, and I don't doubt that Lyoto could cut the weight. In reality Machida cuts very little weight at 205 and usually weighs in half a pound or so under. Georges isn't a small WW by any means. He walks around near 195 before he starts his cuts. That being said 10 pounds natural weight difference between guys in tremendous shape with very little body fat is a lot of weight. Now that being said I think GSP would be an interesting fight for Machida but I don't see it being a good fight for GSP. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but I was thinking I had heard somewhere that Silva actually walks around over the 205 range and cuts 20-30 lbs before each MW fight. He hasn't looked undersized at 205 except against Forrest who is a giant of a LHW. Georges has said repeatedly that he doesn't have any interest in moving up unless he has time to put on a significant amount of muscle and be comparably sized to the other guys in the division.

The size factor is only one small facet of these potential fights we've been talking about. What if GSP does fight Machida and gets beaten? Would the Silva fight lose steam? Would Machida move back to LHW? He's one of the only guys who looked even competitive against bones in the past two years. I've also heard Anderson say he won't fight Lyoto so I feel like that's why Machida is talking WW instead of MW. It just creates more problems imo than interesting fights. The comment about GSP offering to fight Aldo or Henderson made me laugh but in reality it's a really close parallel. I'm excited to see GSP come back and I hope he looks better than ever but the idea of him fighting a larger Machida who is 2-3 in his last 5 and arguably 2-4 in his last 6 doesn't appeal to me. I'd rather see him defend at WW or take the super fight against Silva in the name of them both being the most dominant champs in UFC history.
bjj1605
9/27/12 10:51:19PM

Posted by JLS1980

If Machida is so anxious to fight someone give him Bones Jones. Oh wait he doesn't like that idea.

Just because he didn't take the fight on short notice doesn't mean he doesn't want the fight.

Unless you are a professional fighter, it is hard to understand how valuable a full training camp really is. He just wants to make sure that the next time he faces Jon Jones that he will be fully prepared (since he isn't likely to get a 3rd shot.)