Lyoto Machida wants to test himself against Brock Lesnar

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Lyoto Machida wants to test himself against Brock Lesnar
MMAcca
5/15/09 1:39:09AM
While Lyoto Machida is admittedly focused on his upcoming UFC light heavyweight championship match-up with Rashad Evans, and deservedly so, he recently revealed that a move up to the heavyweight division isn’t that far out of the picture.

If Machida wants to eventually challenge some like Lesnar he’s going to have to get past Evans first, something he is fully aware of.

“I don’t think about a fight at the heavyweight division, but I think about a challenge, maybe against the heavyweight champion,” revealed Machida in an interview with Tatame.com.

LINK
GSPCanada
5/15/09 2:57:10AM
hahaha I was actually thinking about this because I hink Lyoto is one of those guys who has too tough of a style to handle. I was thinking what if he beats rashad, rampage, and then maybe shogun/forrest. I could see him beating a guy like couture or mir and then i envisioned him fighting brock... thinking what a stupid thing to picture, but it would answer is technique really more important than athleticism, speed, and size.

just worth thinking about it in my opinion. but its obviously getting ahead and quite some time away
shevtheman
5/15/09 6:03:51AM
I think some of Machida's Sumo skills would come into play here
whardin19
5/15/09 7:59:41AM
I think Brock would slaughter Lyoto. I think all these wins have made Machida delusional!!! Hopefully Rashad brings him back to earth. Not to say Rashad doesn't need to be brought back to earth either...lol!
mrsmiley
5/15/09 8:12:49AM
I would love to see that fight.
mkiv9secsupra
5/15/09 9:39:11AM

Good luck in the HW division Lyoto......youll need it.

Lets see him try to make Hardonk or Kongo look like a fool and the really test those striking skills...
prozacnation1978
5/15/09 9:51:40AM
i think he should drop to middleweight
State_Champ
5/15/09 10:12:33AM
I surely hope that Machida can best Evans in their upcoming fight but if Machida were to compete in the HW division I think he would get mauled by the bigger fighters. Not every HW would beat Machida, but the larger guys who would use their strength advantage well would beat him I think.

Lesnar would beat him I think.
seanfu
5/15/09 10:19:22AM
I could see him beating Brock, but I think He would eat too many shots for the reach deficit. I am however, placing this bet, Brock can't put Lyoto on his back.

If Brock had a smaller reach Lyoto would have a very good chance.

But, I think Think Machida would be very good as a vastly undersized HW could possibly be. (As a sidenote, I think Couture would beat him.) lol Machida smashes everyone in the division and they bring in the Natural at age 48 to be the LHW champ.

NatedawgThaM
5/15/09 12:08:57PM
I actually think he'd maul Machida the same way I think he'd maul Fedor. Because he's so big and not only that, but he's so fast and explosive too. He's a bad match up for anybody with that size. Now I know they could pull out a sub but I just think Lesnar will be whooping their behinds until they could pull one out if they did.
postman
5/15/09 12:19:11PM

Posted by seanfu

I could see him beating Brock, but I think He would eat too many shots for the reach deficit. I am however, placing this bet, Brock can't put Lyoto on his back.

But, I think Think Machida would be very good as a vastly undersized HW could possibly be. (As a sidenote, I think Couture would beat him.) lol Machida smashes everyone in the division and they bring in the Natural at age 48 to be the LHW champ.

I would be intrested to see what the differance in reach is. I don't think it would be that far off and actually considering the width of brocks chest I would think Machidas is closer then you think. Unless they changed it reach is measered from finger tip to finger tip across the chest.
babytater03
5/15/09 2:26:17PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

i think he should drop to middleweight

that'll never happen as long as Anderson is around
MattHughesRules
5/15/09 2:43:44PM
Brock would put Machida on his back in a hurry and probably destroy him with pure power and agression. At the very least he would dry hump the crap out of him for 3 rounds and take a decision.
seanfu
5/15/09 2:57:56PM

Posted by MattHughesRules

Brock would put Machida on his back in a hurry and probably destroy him with pure power and agression. At the very least he would dry hump the crap out of him for 3 rounds and take a decision.

Your name is "matt hughes rules"
MattHughesRules
5/15/09 3:33:01PM

Posted by seanfu

Yes....very observant. I suppose you see Machida beating Lesnar? Not sure what you were getting at quoting my handle?
Aether
5/15/09 4:03:59PM
I'm surprised at everyone saying he would get mauled at HW. I think he would actually have more of an advantage at HW because he would be fighting slower fighters and the HW division is also not nearly as talented overall as the LHW. I don't think it's going to be muscle that beats Machida, it's going to be speed IMO. Brock is very fast but on the whole HWs are slower than LHWs. His circling and counter-striking style would actually become more effective the slower his opponents get.

Remember these guys would have to actually get their hands on him in order to put that extra muscle to use. His entire style revolves around never getting hit by generally faster and more accurate fighters than we see at HW.
Sir_Karl
5/15/09 5:43:47PM

The DRAGON rules the world!!!!!!

Bloodhound
5/15/09 6:23:41PM
i wanna see Rampage fight Lesnar
mrsmiley
5/15/09 7:06:08PM

Posted by Aether

I'm surprised at everyone saying he would get mauled at HW. I think he would actually have more of an advantage at HW because he would be fighting slower fighters and the HW division is also not nearly as talented overall as the LHW. I don't think it's going to be muscle that beats Machida, it's going to be speed IMO. Brock is very fast but on the whole HWs are slower than LHWs. His circling and counter-striking style would actually become more effective the slower his opponents get.

Remember these guys would have to actually get their hands on him in order to put that extra muscle to use. His entire style revolves around never getting hit by generally faster and more accurate fighters than we see at HW.

I was thinking somewhat the same thing.
Machida would be dancing around those lundging He-Man punches all day.
I think how he would defend the takedowns would be interesting to see,but I agree that a lot of people are probably selling him too short on the fthat fight.
tdietel01
5/15/09 7:26:00PM
Everyone has a punchers chance! That being said I dont see him staying away from lesnar the whole fight, He would get put on his back in a hurry and pounded out.

As for rampage vs lesnar. Alot more interesting IMO, It would be weird seeing rampage slammed down the while fight! lol he could even feel the mighty power bomb
Bloodhound
5/15/09 8:45:09PM
^^yea true, but i think Rampage would KO Lesnar in stand up
Pookie
5/15/09 10:23:17PM

Posted by postman

Posted by seanfu

I would be intrested to see what the differance in reach is. I don't think it would be that far off and actually considering the width of brocks chest I would think Machidas is closer then you think. Unless they changed it reach is measered from finger tip to finger tip across the chest.

Lyoto is 74"
Brock is 81"(i believe)

The hand speed, reflex timing, and footwork factors would play a big part in machida not getting hit if the fight happened.
slapshot
5/16/09 12:10:45AM

Posted by seanfu

I think Brock would put him on his back in the first minute of the first round, I also think this fight will never happen and thats why you put the bet out there. If Lyoto had to work his way up the heavyweight ladder he would get beat before he even made it to brock but we all know thats not always how the UFC runs things however there are more than enough challenges in his weight class to keep him busy and unlike A. Silva some of them wont be underdogs.

Machida is legitimate and one of the best in his weight class but he is not so far out in front of the pack that opponents wont be competition.
John_Jobber
5/16/09 12:54:34PM

Posted by seanfu

Yes....very observant. I suppose you see Machida beating Lesnar? Not sure what you were getting at quoting my handle?

Uh dude I think seanfu was pointing out that you, being a Matt Hughes fan, would LOVE to see 3 rounds of dry humping. Matt "wake my up when he's finally retired" Hughes is the KING of boring L&P.

And for the record I think Machida would get in a couple nice shots on Brock, but when it comes down to it, Brock can take a couple of Machida's punches on his feet but still would eventually get Machida against the cage or get his hands locked behind for a takedown. Brock takedown = death.