Lyoto Machida vs Thiago Silva

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Lyoto Machida vs Thiago Silva
Mchubb316
4/2/08 2:30:15AM
What your guys thought on this fight? I would like to see the UFC make this one happen. Both are undefeated and both are top LHW's. Machida has more wins against known names. Silva has had 8 of his 12 wins not go past the first round. I thinks Silva's pace would get the better of Machida and Silva would win in the 2nd round. Thoughts?
ThaAxeMurderer7
4/2/08 2:43:58AM
I have to agree with you. Silva rnd 2.
Pookie
4/2/08 2:55:51AM
I think Machida would win 30-27 convincingly.

Thiago's strategy is usually a linear approach, he comes straight at you and is willing to take one to give one. This works well for him because he has a great chin, and great punching power to back up his amazing BJJ.

But Machida matches up incredibly with him. Machida is the most evasive figher in MMA. Sokoudjou did not hit him once in their fight, and i dont believe machida has ever lost a round before.
He's really hard to hit in general, but add in the fact that Thiago's hand speed nor footwork are 2 to 3 steps lower than machida and you will have Thiago trying to chase Machida around the cage for 3 rounds. Which is exactly what he wants.
Thiago also leaves a few holes in his stand-up defense... usually this doesnt matter and serves as bait to most opponents, decieving them into trading with him. But Machida is different. He ALWAYS sticks and moves, Machida may not hurt Thiago, but i think he will pick him apart and convincingly win every single round.

Machida is a beast and IMO has more potential than any other MMA fighter, bar none.
WhiteWidow
4/2/08 3:01:35AM
thiago's too good on the ground to be submitted but lyoto is too good to be submitted or taken down, both have monster chins lyoto's being a little better so probably no knockout unless its Lyoto getting the TKO, this one is pretty clear Lyoto by convincing decision, Lyoto will be champ by late '08
bullettdodger
4/2/08 5:29:14AM

Posted by Pookie

Thiago's strategy is usually a linear approach, he comes straight at you and is willing to take one to give one. This works well for him because he has a great chin, and great punching power to back up his amazing BJJ.

But Machida matches up incredibly with him. Machida is the most evasive figher in MMA. Sokoudjou did not hit him once in their fight, and i dont believe machida has ever lost a round before.
He's really hard to hit in general, but add in the fact that Thiago's hand speed nor footwork are 2 to 3 steps lower than machida and you will have Thiago trying to chase Machida around the cage for 3 rounds. Which is exactly what he wants.
Thiago also leaves a few holes in his stand-up defense... usually this doesnt matter and serves as bait to most opponents, decieving them into trading with him. But Machida is different. He ALWAYS sticks and moves, Machida may not hurt Thiago, but i think he will pick him apart and convincingly win every single round.

Machida is a beast and IMO has more potential than any other MMA fighter, bar none.

Damn pookie, you beat the resident Machida Nuthugger (i.e. me lol) to the punch... well i agree with everything said above and i don't think Thiago would have a chance in this fight... props to you pookie
rabbit915
4/2/08 8:51:00AM
Machida is too good of a counter-puncher to get caught by Silva who basically just wants to trade blows. Machida by UD.
casey64
4/2/08 9:17:13AM
It would be Silva RD 2 KO
postman
4/2/08 10:10:29AM
First I would like to say Pookie it is nice to see you have payed your dues. I agree with you also Machida would take that fight.
gsquat
4/2/08 10:44:44AM
Machida has beat big names. Thiago hasn't. Its really hard to say. Just based on what I do know, I'd have to say Machida, but I guess I wouldn't be surprised to see Silva submit him. Machida is super tough and rediculously well-rounded, so he is never going to be easy to beat.
Twenty20Dollars
4/2/08 11:28:43AM
silva takes it.
grappler0000
4/2/08 11:31:00AM

Posted by Pookie

yep
Jlloyd
4/2/08 6:35:59PM
I'd say Machida would probably win by split decision

both have huge futures in the UFC though IMO
NatedawgThaM
4/2/08 8:38:44PM
Thiago by decision!!!

Thiago would out work him IMO. As long as his cardio is at tip top shape, I honestly could not see him lose just because his chin is tested and is a BJJ black belt. Not because I'm a big fan but I think he would press Machida, throw his shots and before Machida could counter he'd be shooting for a leg lock like he does in a lot of the fights I have seen with him in them. I think he's better on the ground and would out work Machida there. I think he would take the 1st round, and hopefully the 2nd before he tires and wins a decision!!!

Don't be fooled and think being a big fan of Thiago is making a decision, I'm just not set on Machida. His biggest wins were against a suspect chin Soko, and other fighters who fight there best at lower weight classes. So both remain untested IMO but I'm going with the ChuteBox boy to outwork him with trademark Chutebox pitbull viciousness!!!
inyaface69
12/17/08 12:55:50PM
I know Machida is the best counterstriker...without a doubt. However I think Thiago is maybe too agressive for him. You may think it's a dumb observation but most aggresive fighters Machida fought did not push the pace as far as Thiago usually pushes it. If it goes to a decision Lyoto is bound to win, but if there is any knockout in this ifght it will be delivered by Thiago.
HumanTarget
12/17/08 2:54:43PM
LOL, Thiago is completely overrated and is questionable in many ways. He tank, chin, and his roster of fighters than he has TKO'd. He stand up is sloppy and has horrible defense. Machida will destroy him, 30-27.
higdon10
12/17/08 6:25:50PM
After running 3.2 miles is search of it, Thiago Silva is going to finally get a knockout in the third.
copcopps
12/17/08 6:42:42PM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by Pookie

yep

Thirded, hell I will find it sweet if Machida finished Silva since it seems the more aggressive you are on Machida the more aggressive he is back like how he finished Soku
mrkennedy
12/18/08 6:55:33PM
Machida by boring udO(imo)