Lyoto Machida vs Rashad Evans

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Lyoto Machida vs Rashad Evans
sonicsmokesweed
5/15/09 9:51:12AM
Rashad Evans is my favorite fighter, has been my favorite fighter I saw him on ultimate Fighter Season 2, as much as I wanna see him dismantle Lyoto Machida, I dont think its going to happen, i'm picking Lyoto Machida by unanimous decision. I think Rashad Evans has a weakness to leg kicks and Lyoto is too elusive for Rashad to stop them, but Rashad does have the speed to catch Lyoto dead square on his chin too so I dont know, all I know 1 more freaking week til this matchup and im more stoked for this matchup more then UFC 100 itself this is a dream fight in my opinion. War Rashadddd
prozacnation1978
5/15/09 9:55:23AM
i would rather see evans vs rampage
i don't like evans, the only time i ever rooted for him to win was against bisping
this fight can go either way, evans could beat machida, i won't be surprised if he does,
i do think he is the most under rated fighter in the ufc
but i do see machida winning this fight
sonicsmokesweed
5/15/09 10:04:38AM
I dont see why u would want to rather See Rampage vs Rashad, yes it would be a better fight for fans, but I dont think Rampage poses a threat to Rashad
sonicsmokesweed
5/15/09 10:05:45AM
By the way i love this site i been here for awhile now and u people are so nice unlike other forum sites that im not going to Say out loud
mkiv9secsupra
5/15/09 10:16:55AM
Machida throws lots of feints.....Bad idea against a counter puncher who has a faster handspeed and KO power. Also Rashad's chin has been tested by hard hitting HWs so it will be very hard for Machida to KO Rashad. I dont doubt that Machida will win the first 2 or 3 rounds decisively, but i dont think he will be able able to keep up the stamina and avoid the big strikes from Rashad for 5 rounds.

Rashad by late TKO.....

Then Rampage is going KO him in the first round for the title.
State_Champ
5/15/09 10:42:50AM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Machida throws lots of feints.....Bad idea against a counter puncher who has a faster handspeed and KO power. Also Rashad's chin has been tested by hard hitting HWs so it will be very hard for Machida to KO Rashad. I dont doubt that Machida will win the first 2 or 3 rounds decisively, but i dont think he will be able able to keep up the stamina and avoid the big strikes from Rashad for 5 rounds.

And that's why I have trouble picking a winner in this fight. I want to pick Machida but Evans seems to be just as good an option.
king_katool
5/15/09 11:52:43AM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Rashad by late TKO.....

Then Rampage is going KO him in the first round for the title.

i agree with you until you say rampage, i dont think rampage will beat rashad, i think rashad KO rampage easily actually, rampage will be moving forward from the opening bell and then its just a matter of when before rashad lands that power
MattHughesRules
5/15/09 2:39:09PM
In my opinion this is far from a dream fight. I think Rashad is Tito with better standup. Titio was unable to take Lyoto down for the most part and I think Rashad will have the same difficulty. On the feet Lyoto is the much better striker. Rashad has shown huge improvement here but is not on the same level as Machida. I think this could be a very boring stand up fight with Machida winning by UD.
Mayhem13
5/15/09 3:26:06PM
This is gonna be a good fight, and I am excited to watch next saturday.

I think Rashad has the upperhand in handspeed, power, and wrestling...but I think his biggest weakness, is the fact that he fights with too much emotion..and he gets frustrated when his gameplan is not working.

I think Rashad will start to get flustered by the 3rd, and start making mistakes as he starts looking for a KO with every shot...eventually getting dropped in the last couple rounds.
NatedawgThaM
5/15/09 3:32:11PM
I'm picking Machida too stop a gassed and frustrated Rashad because him winning seems more based on skill where Rashad winning seems more on luck. Because theirs no way rashad will be able to put him on his back if Tito couldn't who's a better wrestler and proved that when he out wrestled Rashad and their fight, Rashad got one good slam at the end, big deal Tito out wrestled him the rest of the fight. So all Rashad can pray for is that he lands that right hand and Machida goes down. Where as Machida will just out strike him from the outside and then finish him at some point I believe even though it will be so hard for either of them to even land a strike since Rashad's so fast and Machidas so elusive.

Hopefully it's like the Barrera/Morrales triology in boxing. Both are outside/counter punchers which everyone thinks is a boring style match up but they were like screw it, it have to throw so the other will throw so you actually have something to counter and they went at it for a full 12 rounds in 3 of the greatest boxing fights I have ever seen. Hopefully the same principle applies in this fight but I doubt it.

Got Machida winning in the 3rd though.
Bloodhound
5/17/09 2:50:17PM
i got Lyoto Machida by unanimous decision, i think technique wise hes going to outclass Rashad, not saying Rashad dosent have good technique but Lyoto is on another level, but i think either way the winner is going to get KO'ed by Rampage
RiseUp21
5/19/09 9:56:29AM
I have Machida winning, but do you think having Jardine in his camp will help prepare rashad for the leg kicks, and having GSP help with the karate (even if just a little)?
Jackelope
5/19/09 3:52:57PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Machida throws lots of feints.....Bad idea against a counter puncher who has a faster handspeed and KO power.

Honestly, there's positives and negatives to most anything you do in a ring. You can say that it's a bad idea to use feints against a counter puncher, but it's a good idea to use them against hand defense- which Rashad uses. Especially if you don't over-commit to your feints- something Lyoto isn't known for.

In these situations, what it comes down to is who can implement their game with more proficiency. I'm very slightly torn on this fight, but my money is most likely going to end up on Lyoto. It is a very interesting fight to say the least. I just can't account for Greg Jackson's gameplan, which is the only thing that makes me hesitate.

Jackelope
5/19/09 3:55:15PM

Posted by RiseUp21

I have Machida winning, but do you think having Jardine in his camp will help prepare rashad for the leg kicks, and having GSP help with the karate (even if just a little)?

I don't think either of these two hurt Rashad, but I'm not sure that they help much, either. Lyoto has a very unique style which neither one of these guys is remotely similar to. GSP may have a karate background, but it's a different style, even his stance is completely different. Jardine may have strong leg kicks, but again, his style is so different that I wonder if it helps that much at all.

teddythetuna
5/20/09 11:07:17AM
Lyoto is a better striker imo, with better submissions, and his sumo background will help him with Rashads wrestling. Lyoto wins this fight convincingly. You cant knockout what you cant hit and i think thats Rashads only chance of winning
anomoly
5/22/09 1:00:44AM
I love all the Rashad Evans hate in this thread!! I will admit that Machida is really good, and i didn't like Evans when he was on Ultimate Fighter (too cocky and he wasn't "that" good)...

However Rashad gets better every fight, he has proved me wrong time and time again and at this point i don't think that you can doubt his skills.

As long as Rashad doesn't make the mistake all 14 of Machida's other competitors made (being too agressive) then i think that Rashad will be fine.

Machida hasn't seen the kind of speed Rashad has.

PS Rashad will get Rampage too.
mrsmiley
5/22/09 7:02:19AM
I think for Rashad to win this he's going to have to finish Lyoto.
Lyoto has never lost a round in the UFC and Rashad has.
I think if it goes to the cards,based on their fight history Machida will probably outclass Evans.

However,Rashad has scary strength and speed and when he unloads a power shot,man he really lets it all go.
If Machida makes one error at the right moment,Rashad will capialize on it and send him to the mat.
I think it all depends on whether or not Rashad can land that powershot.
And you got to remember,Lyoto hasn't taken a powershot since he fought BJ Penn.

I'm picking Lyoto to win,but won't be suprised if Rashad takes it late in the 4th with a TKO.
-Detroit-
5/23/09 7:26:09PM
Machida 4th round submission when Shad starts to gas.
Jackelope
5/24/09 9:46:48AM
Well, IMO the world is right again because of the fact that Lyoto won. I was surprised in the lack of a good offensive gameplan by Greg Jackson's camp. It was clear they wanted Rashad to wait for Lyoto to engage, but they had to have known that in a game of patience the lifelong Japanese martial artist would win. Reminds me of Princess Bride

You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a Japanese-Brazilian when a belt is on the line!
sonicsmokesweed
5/24/09 5:39:09PM
It was hard to see my man Rashad go out like that. I knew he wasnt going to be able to deal with Machida's unpredictable speed. I hope Rashad comes back harder. I hope he cleans up his game a bit,
BlueSkiesBurn
5/24/09 6:51:20PM
I guess Rashad made a different mistake than other fighters; let Machida do the striking. Finally, vindication for all of us who believed for a long time that Machida was the best 205lb fighter in the world. War Machida!!!