Lyoto Machida, Randy Couture, Fedor Emelianenko All Possible for EA Sports MMA Video Game

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Lyoto Machida, Randy Couture, Fedor Emelianenko All Possible for EA Sports MMA Video Game
MMAcca
6/23/09 1:23:35AM

"We are looking obviously at every fighter that we can, that we feel is applicable from a quality level and then analyzing their image rights, and if they're available and we want them -- then we'll get them. If they're not then we'll move on to the next fighter."

When asked about fighters such as UFC star Lyoto Machida, Moore added: "Machida? A great fighter. There's plenty of great fighters that have their image rights, and we'll start announcing fighters pretty soon."

LINK
TimW001
6/23/09 3:26:28AM
I hope the UFC lets their fights in EA's game.
Livershot
6/23/09 4:59:15AM

Posted by TimW001

I hope the UFC lets their fights in EA's game.

As they have their own franchise video game now I will find that highly unlikely

The only exceptions will be those with their own image rights, which will be a handful at best
emfleek
6/23/09 8:23:40AM

Posted by Livershot

The only exceptions will be those with their own image rights, which will be a handful at best

...and then you can look for Dana to get SUPER pissed if they do allow EA to use their name.
Wolf
6/23/09 8:59:01AM
I'd be surprised if Machida's in the EA game since he's in the official THQ one.
The-Don
6/23/09 9:06:06AM
true but as the article stated.. Machida is his own person not dumb enough to sign away his image rights... why not be in both..
billycarnage
6/23/09 11:01:10AM
EA does everything better! I am not too worried about who will be in the game and because of EA's track record I have high expectations.
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
6/23/09 11:26:03AM
Mousasi is in the game and thats all need to buy it lol

I thought guys like St Pierre, Machida, Penn, sherk, Florian, Griffin, Jackson, Liddell, Lesnar, didnt have to sign over their likeness rights exclusively to the UFC cause they have so many other things going on to earn money, I remember reading somewhere that the bigger names didnt have to do that ???
telnights
6/23/09 4:06:56PM

Posted by billycarnage

EA does everything better! I am not too worried about who will be in the game and because of EA's track record I have high expectations.

EA doesn't do everything better. EA buys up company's that make a great games then run that game and its company in to the ground most of the times. I could make a huge list of the of great company's that EA bought up and ended up ruining the company and the games they made.
artofdefense
6/23/09 4:44:27PM

Posted by The-Don

true but as the article stated.. Machida is his own person not dumb enough to sign away his image rights... why not be in both..

The FN4 demo gives me doubts...
mentalcase
6/23/09 5:20:51PM
dana wont let one of his champions to be in another video game
mrsmiley
6/23/09 5:57:16PM
I wouldn't be suprised if EA actually pulled this off.
It wouldn't be easy,but EA is becoming an empire in the world of gaming,and it's no suprise when someone tells you their attempting to topple the market.

EA is to video game developing (in some respects) what the UFC is to MMA.
tomp6581
7/16/09 4:47:22AM

Posted by telnights

Posted by billycarnage

EA doesn't do everything better. EA buys up company's that make a great games then run that game and its company in to the ground most of the times. I could make a huge list of the of great company's that EA bought up and ended up ruining the company and the games they made.

Like UFC and Pride. They have alot in common
Irish_Pride
7/16/09 12:25:12PM
Can't wait to see how this game turns out. I'm a big fan of EA sports games like Madden, Live, NCAA games. I hope they do a good job and make this MMA game fun and realistic. I wonder what they will rate Fedor in the game?
telnights
7/16/09 12:56:09PM

Posted by tomp6581

Posted by telnights

Posted by billycarnage

Like UFC and Pride. They have alot in common

Pride was ran in to the ground by Pride not the UFC. It was dead long before the UFC bought it.
Rush
7/16/09 1:55:28PM
To me the problem with this right now is that if EA cannot secure enough known fighters, the game will look half assed and will not likely be successful. That is why I think they should make the game totally generic and put the saved money into developing the game beyond that of the UFC one. One thing I think would be interesting is a way to build your fighter from the ground up. That is, you can increase your fighter's abilities through training. Introduce random injuries as an obstacle for training. There are so many ways EA could make this game interesting without specific likenesses.

From my perspective the likenesses of characters is only a minute aspect of the game and should be the last thing people consider. That is, focus on the game itself and not the characters. Make everything that goes into the game work well/better than the UFC game and that is what should matter. I for one would rather play "Brand X golf" rather than "Tiger Woods golf" if it was a better game overall.

If I am wrong and people are really that hell bent on having certain fighters' likenesses there are ways to circumvent the problem at hand. I am just guessing, but as far as I know there is nothing saying that fighting styles cannot be used without permission. That coupled with a make your own fighter option is a way to allow fans to create their fave fighters without having to deal with likenesses. Allow a multitude of different ways that a player can control their fighter's victory dance from scratch. Taken together these types of options, though fundamentally generic, can allow one to create their favorite fighter. Have we lost all imagination when it comes to these sorts of things? Some of the best sports game memories came from generic sports games where we pretended to play certain teams and players.

There is no way that this game needs any fighter likeness to be good. There are a number of classic games that come to mind where all (or almost all) of the characters were generic. Mike Tyson's PunchOut and RBI baseball immediately come to mind.

Thefridge1337
7/16/09 8:20:34PM

Posted by Rush

To me the problem with this right now is that if EA cannot secure enough known fighters, the game will look half assed and will not likely be successful. That is why I think they should make the game totally generic and put the saved money into developing the game beyond that of the UFC one. One thing I think would be interesting is a way to build your fighter from the ground up. That is, you can increase your fighter's abilities through training. Introduce random injuries as an obstacle for training. There are so many ways EA could make this game interesting without specific likenesses.

From my perspective the likenesses of characters is only a minute aspect of the game and should be the last thing people consider. That is, focus on the game itself and not the characters. Make everything that goes into the game work well/better than the UFC game and that is what should matter. I for one would rather play "Brand X golf" rather than "Tiger Woods golf" if it was a better game overall.

If I am wrong and people are really that hell bent on having certain fighters' likenesses there are ways to circumvent the problem at hand. I am just guessing, but as far as I know there is nothing saying that fighting styles cannot be used without permission. That coupled with a make your own fighter option is a way to allow fans to create their fave fighters without having to deal with likenesses. Allow a multitude of different ways that a player can control their fighter's victory dance from scratch. Taken together these types of options, though fundamentally generic, can allow one to create their favorite fighter. Have we lost all imagination when it comes to these sorts of things? Some of the best sports game memories came from generic sports games where we pretended to play certain teams and players.

There is no way that this game needs any fighter likeness to be good. There are a number of classic games that come to mind where all (or almost all) of the characters were generic. Mike Tyson's PunchOut and RBI baseball immediately come to mind.

i totally agree i hope its like fight night where in the career mode you dont have to fight the same people 5 times. I could care less about who is in it as long as they make the game well and not just have your opponent body kick you 100 times because you can't move or block