Lyoto Machida: "They Prefer Chuck With The Belt"

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Lyoto Machida: "They Prefer Chuck With The Belt"
Next Page »
Playground_Samurai
7/9/08 2:03:18AM
Link

also........“Quinton defeated Forrest, but they give it to Forrest.”...

Those are some pretty bold statements made by Machida. Discuss.
fonduktoe
7/9/08 2:10:43AM
there's gonna be people on both sides of the fence with this rampage v forrest debacle
as for the ufc favoring chuck
i think machida has a point
he's been their poster boy for awhile and i've always caught a whiff of favoritism
if they don't give rampage an immediate rematch then chuck will most certainly get the next title shot if he gets through rashad (which he probably will)
does he deserve said title shot?
i guess those questions are what forums are for...
RNC
7/9/08 2:17:06AM
I think Machida feels Chuck will get a shot before him.

Maybe he was told something we are not aware of.
coldchillin
7/9/08 2:30:14AM
*applauds Machida for speaking the truth and not saying what he thinks the UFC wants him to say*
RNC
7/9/08 2:35:44AM

Posted by coldchillin

*applauds Machida for speaking the truth and not saying what he thinks the UFC wants him to say*

Maybe Machida and Tito can be friends after all.
joshryanshepherd
7/9/08 3:14:11AM
im not an "iceman" fan what so ever but if he has back to back wins over Wanderlei and Rashad (two top ten LHWs) he definately deserves a shot at the title....

i remember saying before UFC 71 that chuck will lose his belt tonight and he will never get it back. but he is getting reallllly close now.
Korsakov
7/9/08 3:54:35AM
um, that's not exactly what lyoto said, fighthype.com twisted it

he said "in my opinion, rampage won"

not "rampage won"

they make it sound like he is making some bold statement when he's not, he was just sharing his opinion.
Jason-plata
7/9/08 4:12:35AM
No doubt Machita is gonna get a shot.. All I have to say is that the next fight should be a re-match for sure.. Iknow i am but thats what I believe to be fair for both parties to resolve this whole fiasko..
fonduktoe
7/9/08 5:22:45AM

Posted by Jason-plata

No doubt Machita is gonna get a shot.. All I have to say is that the next fight should be a re-match for sure.. Iknow i am but thats what I believe to be fair for both parties to resolve this whole fiasko..

Napao
7/9/08 8:44:49AM
He may have had some points...and I don't want to get into a debate of which deserves the next crack right here...BUT - I will say this: If this is how Machida thinks the UFC works - on popularity - right or wrong - Then if this is how he perceives it to be - then this outburst is NOT going to help his popularity and status...or therefore his bid to get said title shot.

If he believes he knows how the system works he should then use it to his advantage...and speaking out boldly like this wins him no friends in influential places...nor in the general public arena - which is quite important.

Bad move Machida...shoulda kept your trap shut and your fists busy...you don't have the fans on your side - you'd think you'd then at least want the UFC then as your ally no?? Just dumb IMO. Can achieve exactly nada - Really dumb.
Twenty20Dollars
7/9/08 10:54:51AM
because machida is boring and chuck is exciting. chuck would beat machida. the end.
Gipper
7/9/08 11:17:23AM
there's not to many fighters i dislike but machida is one of them now. put this guy against t.silva and we will see who is really next in line for a titleshot after liddell. chuck deserves whatever he gets. i don't have to explain why.
not taking anything away from machida's skill. he's an unbelievable fighter.
CantAndleDaRiddum
7/9/08 2:28:18PM
i agree w/ machida

RSH
7/9/08 3:08:43PM
Machida is just having a hissy fit because he is realizing he is the least marketable fighter in the UFC.
Pitbull09
7/9/08 3:25:03PM
I don;t think it's wrong what Machida is saying. The Rampage/ Forest fight is argueable but the fact is, a lot of contenders get screwed in their individual divisions. Thiago Alves wins 7 straight with no title fight cause of BJ. Jardine gets snubbed so Forest can fight for the title. Werdum misses a fight with Nog cause Mir is American and better for US fan base.

Dana screws a lot of fighters when it comes to the title and I don;t mind when a guy like Machida makes it known
Pitbull09
7/9/08 3:28:23PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

because machida is boring and chuck is exciting. chuck would beat machida. the end.

I would like to see that fight. I really don't see Chuck taking Machida down and Chuck is usually getting his KO's while a.) hitting a guy try to take him down or b.) hit a guy while backing up. Machida wouldn't charge chuck so I could see him possibly winning.
zephead
7/9/08 4:01:51PM
Machida is not the most appealing fighter out there. His big wins are against Rich Franklin (who fights at 185) a decision win over BJ Penn (who fights at 155. That fights says a lot more about BJ then Machida) and Tito. Tito had a draw to Rashad, lose to Chuck, beat a washed up Shamrock twice and then wins over Griffin and Vitor who many feel both beat him. Oh yea, a win over Soko.

He beat a 26-32-2 Vernon White (Decision) A decision win over the 6-4 Sam Hogar. A decision win over Kengo Wantanbe (who was 7-7 going into that fight) A decision win over Sam Greco who was 1-0-1 going into that fight. Maybe, just maybe, with the UFC trying to blowup and put on great exciting fights, Machida might want to engage a little more.

Machida needs to fight some serious comp. before he gets a title shot. Let him fight wandy or Shogun. Guys with good standup that will press the action.
EON
7/9/08 4:18:57PM
This bothers me since he is the most deserving, it dosnt matter what the fans want, this is to find out whos the greatest fighter, for the average fan this should mean more than a lame high school popularity contest, if were going to have popularity contests lets just put on freak shows like mike tyson vs brock lesner yeah that'll sell tickets
Franklinfan47
7/9/08 5:31:46PM
Maybe its just me, but I though Machida had alot of good points.
zephead
7/9/08 5:33:54PM
Like I said, he needs to earn a title shot. another thing is, he isn't appealing. You might like him, but if another fighter that you didn't like fought the same style as Machida, would you feel the same way? He hasn't faced top comp. Let him fight a wandy or Shougun to get a shot. Beating Soko and Tito doesn't mean you get a title shot.
eyeforeigneye
7/9/08 5:39:18PM

Posted by zephead

Like I said, he needs to earn a title shot. another thing is, he isn't appealing. You might like him, but if another fighter that you didn't like fought the same style as Machida, would you feel the same way? He hasn't faced top comp. Let him fight a wandy or Shougun to get a shot. Beating Soko and Tito doesn't mean you get a title shot.

JimiMak
7/9/08 5:41:14PM
Glad to see him speaking his mind. They weren't gonna give him next shot anyway, even tho he is so clearly the most deserving, That's ok, they can't help but give him top 5 guys now (of course they're hoping he'll lose) and when he's run thru all of them he'll have to get his shot. Hell by then it'll prob'ly be somebody he's beaten already.
zephead
7/9/08 5:47:44PM

Posted by JimiMak

Glad to see him speaking his mind. They weren't gonna give him next shot anyway, even tho he is so clearly the most deserving, That's ok, they can't help but give him top 5 guys now (of course they're hoping he'll lose) and when he's run thru all of them he'll have to get his shot. Hell by then it'll prob'ly be somebody he's beaten already.

How is he the most deserving? I think wandy, Shogun and Chuck are way more deserving then he is. They have fought tougher comp
Rush
7/9/08 5:53:40PM

Posted by zephead

You might like him, but if another fighter that you didn't like fought the same style as Machida, would you feel the same way?

I don't know. For the most part, the only thing to like or dislike about Machida is his fighting style. For the most part he is not an in-your-face kind of fighter (no pun intended) and is generally low key. Most people didn't know who he was until recently. There is also a language barrier which prevents non-Portuguese fans from connecting with his personality.

The way I look at it, there are two types of Machida fans,

1) Those that like his style and would (should) like another fighter that had the same style just as much, provided the other fighter didn't give a different reason for someone to not like them

2) Some fans want to jump on the Machida bandwagon in order to look like an MMA guru by knowing a skilled, but unknown fighter.
EON
7/9/08 5:54:36PM

Posted by zephead

Posted by JimiMak

How is he the most deserving? I think wandy, Shogun and Chuck are way more deserving then he is. They have fought tougher comp

shogun who is 0-1, chuck who is 2-2 and wand (one of my favs) is 1-1 since coming back are more deserving? yeah your obviously part of the popularity contest crowd of fans
zephead
7/9/08 5:56:32PM

Posted by EON

Posted by zephead

Posted by JimiMak

shogun who is 0-1, chuck who is 2-2 and wand (one of my favs) is 1-1 since coming back are more deserving? yeah your obviously part of the popularity contest crowd of fans

Yep, that's me. I look at fighters overall record and the comp that they fight. Not hat their the in thing so I better jump on. I would love for Machida to fight any of the three I mentioned, I think he would get hammered
JimiMak
7/9/08 5:57:44PM

Posted by zephead

Posted by JimiMak

Lyoto has destoyed his opponents like noone on your list, and it's certainly no list to sneeze at. He's undefeated. All of those guys are coming off recent losses. Chuck got destroyed twice by the guy who just lost one of the hardest fought dec's we've all ever seen. Wandy lost to Chuck. Shogun lost to Forrest already. All of these being recent, not long ago losses I'm bringing up.

W/ his record the only reason anyone can give for him not to get it is: I don't like his style and I'm afraid he'd win. I'm itching for him to take the title and continue his rampage, tho he'll wind up having to win a few more, no matter. None of those guys have a style that matches up well w/ Machida.

I hate to say Forrest is the worst style matchup for Machida in the current div.
Shoppe
7/9/08 5:58:42PM

Posted by zephead

Posted by JimiMak

Wandy is 1 - 3 in his four latest fights, with a win over Jardine.

Chuck is 1 - 2 in his three latest fights, with a win over Wand.

Shogun lost his last fight.

Lyoto just beat Tito, who Forrest couln't beat, and Soku who prior to his fight with Machida had wins over Lil Nog and Arona. And you don't think he's more deserving?
EON
7/9/08 5:59:33PM

Posted by zephead

Posted by EON

Posted by zephead

Posted by JimiMak

Yep, that's me. I look at fighters overall record and the comp that they fight. Not hat their the in thing so I better jump on. I would love for Machida to fight any of the three I mentioned, I think he would get hammered

thats not the point, way to stray from the idea, you obviously have a thought out analysis of why you hate him since you have so many posts about how undeserving the top contender in the UFC is so why even bother arguing with you, you should promote mike tyson vs brock lesnar, thats right up your alley
zephead
7/9/08 6:06:02PM

Posted by JimiMak

Posted by zephead

Posted by JimiMak

Lyoto has destoyed his opponents like noone on your list, and it's certainly no list to sneeze at. He's undefeated. All of those guys are coming off recent losses. Chuck got destroyed twice by the guy who just lost one of the hardest fought dec's we've all ever seen. Wandy lost to Chuck. Shogun lost to Forrest already. All of these being recent, not long ago losses I'm bringing up.

W/ his record the only reason anyone can give for him not to get it is: I don't like his style and I'm afraid he'd win. I'm itching for him to take the title and continue his rampage, tho he'll wind up having to win a few more, no matter. None of those guys have a style that matches up well w/ Machida.

I hate to say Forrest is the worst style matchup for Machida in the current div.

Who has he destroyed like no one on my list? A decision win over a 26-32 Vernon White who Chuck gave a 3 month headache to? A decision win over Tito who Chuck TKO'd twice? A decsion win over the 155 lb. Champ? A KO ver 185 lb fighter? A dedsion win over Nakumora who is 11-8? He has 8 decision wins in 13 fights with one fight stopped for a cut. He is not destroying people. He is outpointing people.

It has nothing to do with me being afraid of him winning. Wandy, Shogun and Chuck all have recent bodies of work that are way more interesting then Machida. But I do hope he fights one of those three or just go ahead and give him the shot to fight Forrest. Forrest will bring it and bring it.

I think Chuck, Wandy and Shogun have styles that would give him major problems. None of those are going to have sloppy shots. They're not going to throw one punch and then back up. Wandy and Shogun are going to get right in his face and Chuck will stalk him.
Pages: [1] 2