Lyoto Machida: "They Prefer Chuck With The Belt"

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Lyoto Machida: "They Prefer Chuck With The Belt"
Next Page »
MMAcca
7/9/08 1:51:42AM
After watching UFC 86 this past weekend, Light Heavyweight contender Lyoto Machida had some opinions of his own. “Quinton defeated Forrest, but they give it to Forrest.” Machida told Brazilian magazine Tatame. He went on to say that he believes the UFC prefers to have Chuck Liddell as the Light Heavyweight champion because of his marketability.

Spot on Lyoto, spot on

LINK
missypie
7/9/08 1:56:18AM
Many of the quotes aren't accurate translations, here:

Machida said in portuguese:
"Olha, para mim o Quinton ganhou do Forrest, mas deram para o Forrest.
Acho que agora eles casam a luta com o Chuck Liddell para ele levar o título.
Acho que eles querem que o Liddell fique com o título, é um ex-campeão, tem mais marketing e vende mais”

wich translates in english to:

"Look, to me Quinton won (the fight against) Forrest, but they (the judges) gave (the decision victory) to Forrest. And now I think that they will settle the (title) fight with Chuck Liddell (next) ,for him to take the title. I feel that they want Liddel to stay with the title (in the end), he is an ex-champion, he has more marketing and sells more"
coldchillin
7/9/08 2:19:05AM
*applauds*

He knows he is going to get screwed and have to wait awhile for a title shot no matter if they rematch Forrest and Rampage or have Forrest wait for the Liddell-Evans winner. I hope Rashad is able to ruin their plans and they are stuck with a lame Griffin-Rashad title match.
McBee
7/9/08 2:24:36AM
Machida is really good but apart from the Soko fight he has been extremely boring and that sucks. I do not think people are scared of him they just think that he will win by decision because they would get so frustrated running after him that they would give him a few points just to feel like they are in a fight
coldchillin
7/9/08 2:40:01AM

Posted by McBee

Machida is really good but apart from the Soko fight he has been extremely boring and that sucks. I do not think people are scared of him they just think that he will win by decision because they would get so frustrated running after him that they would give him a few points just to feel like they are in a fight

he's like the Floyd Mayweather of MMA... he's a defensive genius and the moment you try to go on the offense and get aggressive, you get a knee straight to your liver and thrown like a ragdoll around the cage, ask Tito. He's nice with the hands and has a good ground game as well... he might be the most complete fighter in MMA right now.
xtra_chewy
7/9/08 2:59:36AM
+1 for Machida

Machida is really making his way into my heart.
McBee
7/9/08 3:09:00AM

Posted by coldchillin

Posted by McBee

he's like the Floyd Mayweather of MMA... he's a defensive genius and the moment you try to go on the offense and get aggressive, you get a knee straight to your liver and thrown like a ragdoll around the cage, ask Tito. He's nice with the hands and has a good ground game as well... he might be the most complete fighter in MMA right now.

I hate boxing, in the UFC you have to be aggressive and finish fights to be loved and I hope Machida will try that out
Sam_Rothstein
7/9/08 3:19:05AM
It would be almost impossible to sell a title fight with machida. Die Hard fans may love the guy but there isnt enough die hard fans willing to spend $50 to watch him fight for 25 minutes.
jocka
7/9/08 7:40:10AM

Posted by Sam_Rothstein

It would be almost impossible to sell a title fight with machida. Die Hard fans may love the guy but there isnt enough die hard fans willing to spend $50 to watch him fight for 25 minutes.

Of course being a marketable fighter helps a LOT but we all know he deserved the next tittle shot, i understand that to the casual fan his style is boring besause he looks like he his running but to a die hard fan man his style is awsome so hard to beat and to mimic for training, probably the smartess style arround.

But to answer the topic for sure the UFC will give a title shot to Chuck before they give it to Machida.
whardin19
7/9/08 7:53:40AM
Machida has got it right. They do want a Liddell/Griffin fight. But I also don't think Machida is getting screwed out of a title fight. He needs to beat a solid top 10 guy like Thiago Silva or Wanderlei Silva before he gets his title shot. Niether Silva has a fight scheduled, why not make it happen. The winner of that fight in my opinion deserves a title shot.
Aaronno9
7/9/08 7:57:28AM
Has it even been confirmed that Chuck is getting a title shot? I mean, hes still got to fight Rashad before anything can be said about that. Seems a little silly for Machida to come out and say that behind Danas back, unless they've had a meeting we dont know about and Dana has told lyoto Chuck is next in line.
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
7/9/08 8:07:07AM
Well it may be true that the UFC prefers Chuck to have the title, but he has to beat Forrest Now and he still has to beat Rashad, we all know now to often no outcome is completly 100% predictable.
What if Rashad out wrestled chuck and held chuck on his back for 3 rounds, winning the decision? could happen.

Then Chuck falls further down the ranks, being that Tito pretty much beat Rashad and woulda won if he didn't lose that point.

I think if Rashad wins he should fight the winner of say jackson and Wanderlei
and then that winner gets a shot but in the meantime Forrest should fight Machida.
If the whole world including the ufc thinks Machida is unmarketable then put him in there with Forrest, hopefully Forrest wins the decision and then let Machida fall where he may.

mrsmiley
7/9/08 9:09:49AM
Machida knows what's going down.I really hope he gets a title shot though.I mean sure the guy has a lot of decesion wins,but it's not like he's fought a gallery of cans either.
Wolfenstein
7/9/08 9:14:24AM
Way to go Machida. He just said what everyone else was thinking. I never want to wish for a fighter to get injured, but I'd love to see Machida vs Chuck instead. To me that would validate #1 contender status. Just bow out gracefully Rashad...please I'm begging you.
finnish_line
7/9/08 9:17:06AM

Machida should've kept his mouth shut, even if what he's saying is probably true.

He's got the winning fights part down, but he hasn't incorporated the necessary excitement and (now) political smarts into his game.

The latter two aspects, taken together, are just as important as winning fights in order to move up the UFC ladder.
scpd400
7/9/08 9:40:16AM
first of all I watched that fight 3 times already and there is no way that jackson won that fight. Griffin won hands down. all but the 1st round. Griffin beat Tito too but for some lame reason the judges gave the fight to tito. Even if the UFC wants Chuck to have the belt he has got to beat griffin which i don't think he can. Chuck needs to fight a few more people before he gets a title shot again. I like Chuck but I think he should have to prove himself again. Machida should fight a couple more if not at least 1 more fight before he gets a shot. Thats just my opinion
RMFG_187
7/9/08 10:13:55AM
I think Dana knows that Chuck isn't the #1 Contender now, it's Machida. But if Chuck can stop Rashad, it would definitely be close. plus Machida is a boring fighter. Chuck has been in wars, gets KO's and gets KO'd. Machida is a smart fighter who does as little as he can to get a judges decision. which is sorta Mayweather like, but Mayweather didn't Run.

I still hope Machida gets to Fight Forrest before Rampage, but I don't see that happening now. so it looks like Machida and Chuck are going to atleast have 1 more fight, hopefully with eachother
gsquat
7/9/08 10:14:47AM
Well then peoples' hearts are gonna be broken when Lyoto wins the belt and holds it for quite some time.
jocka
7/9/08 10:21:33AM

Posted by gsquat

Well then peoples' hearts are gonna be broken when Lyoto wins the belt and holds it for quite some time.

I think Lyoto is gonna be champ too hehehehe can t wait
missypie
7/9/08 10:59:18AM

Posted by jocka

Posted by gsquat

Then we can laugh at the people who say "all he does is run" rather than be annoyed by them...
teddythetuna
7/9/08 11:21:55AM
Just because a fighter doesnt stand in the pocket and throw bombs while trying not to get KTFO himself, doesnt mean he is running. Its because of fans like this that fighters are worried about getting fired if they dont go in swinging for the fences. Machida WILL be champ.
masodd
7/9/08 12:01:22PM
It doesn't really matter when Machida gets a title shot because when he does no matter who the champ is he will more than likely win. I got a question why is everybody thinkin that forrest is gonna be champ for awhile just because he beat rampage (imho i think rampage won) but is everybody gonna be a forrest nuthugger now. U have to beat the champ not match him and forrest matched rampage did not beat him. I just had to get that out
jocka
7/9/08 12:04:43PM

Posted by missypie

Posted by jocka

Posted by gsquat

Then we can laugh at the people who say "all he does is run" rather than be annoyed by them...

He doesnt run he just has aswome foot work lol but i guess so does runners right lol
prozacnation1978
7/9/08 12:10:06PM
i agree 100% percent
that is the only bad thing about the ufc is they do play favorites always like this past weekend

people like okami and machida get screwed
look at dana once again says winner of huerta vs ken flo gets next shot at title, but yet he sayd bj penn is next??
meaning what these guys have to wait a year or something to get their shot even cote, i bet he never will get his title shot
Wolfenstein
7/9/08 12:29:40PM
There's only one way for Lyoto to get his title shot. He has to enter himself into Ultimate Fighter 8 instead of coaching it. Aside from Heavyweight I think every division has had an Ultimate Fighter winner get a crack at the title.
Darnok
7/9/08 3:24:12PM

Posted by luke420187

There's only one way for Lyoto to get his title shot. He has to enter himself into Ultimate Fighter 8 instead of coaching it. Aside from Heavyweight I think every division has had an Ultimate Fighter winner get a crack at the title.

Dana has been trying to get a TUFer a belt for awhile.
CCPRIDE99
7/9/08 3:51:51PM
dana does this kind of crap with his favorites all the time

for example: bj penn enters the ufc welterweight division and immediately fights the top contender gsp, the winner gets a title shot. bj penn loses to gsp, however, bj penn still gets the title shot before gsp. in the title fight, matt hughes destroys bj penn, and pounds him into submission. immediately after two losses in a row, blow-job is offered an opportunity to avenge a loss, and an opportunity to coach on the ultimate fighter, a competition in which he did a shit job of coaching btw. blow-job does avenge that loss to a guy who was also coming off of a stunning loss, but still is given a title shot immediately after in which he doesnt even have to face the real champion, but and untested joe stevenson who he was obviously gonna beat, and is still called the undisputed champ rather than the interim champ.

there are a few more instances where dana was on that bullshit, but i think this is the best one
CCPRIDE99
7/9/08 3:58:12PM

Posted by CCPRIDE99

dana does this kind of crap with his favorites all the time

for example: bj penn enters the ufc welterweight division and immediately fights the top contender gsp, the winner gets a title shot. bj penn loses to gsp, however, bj penn still gets the title shot before gsp. in the title fight, matt hughes destroys bj penn, and pounds him into submission. immediately after two losses in a row, blow-job is offered an opportunity to avenge a loss, and an opportunity to coach on the ultimate fighter, a competition in which he did a shit job of coaching btw. blow-job does avenge that loss to a guy who was also coming off of a stunning loss, but still is given a title shot immediately after in which he doesnt even have to face the real champion, but and untested joe stevenson who he was obviously gonna beat, and is still called the undisputed champ rather than the interim champ.

there are a few more instances where dana was on that bullshit, but i think this is the best one

oh and then an extremely poor ass early stoppage victory over the real champ, in which joe rogan and mike goldberg were suckin his dick during the whole fight, puts blow-job in line for yet ANOTHER title shot and doesnt make him defend his title against the #1 contender out of florian and huerta. and imo if florian beats huerta blow-job will probably beat florian with his trusty thumb. if huerta beats florian, i think huerta will eat bj penn.
and in a fight with st pierre, i pick gsp to throttle the life out of bj, and send him into early retirement. but georges is a nice guy so hell probably just expose bj as not being this big hotshot superhero everybody thinks he is.
Ordep
7/9/08 6:25:18PM
I just started to like Machida, he just quoted my words from Saturday night right after UFC 86.
breakdown5
7/9/08 6:48:47PM
Machida totally deserves the shot, but the suits will make him fight a couple more high profile fights. The UFC will have to give him a title shot if he keeps beating everyone. They can't make him wait forever, but they can make him wait a long time.
Pages: [1] 2