Lyoto Machida's Next Opponent

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Lyoto Machida's Next Opponent
Wolfenstein
9/9/08 11:31:24PM
According to the UFC website, Lyoto Machida has been removed entirely from the UFC 89 card. Shane Carwin's fight is now on the main card instead.

Link
Wolfenstein
9/9/08 11:35:31PM
Bummer, I was looking forward to Lyoto fighting again. In the long run I guess it is a good thing because he needs a top opponent to validate his legitimacy for a title shot. Hopefully it will be against Shogun. Rumors have been circulating for a while now that Shogun will be his next opponent.

It's probably the toughest matchup for Lyoto because Shogun is fast and a top notch sriker who is good at cutting off the ring.
Mchubb316
9/9/08 11:43:17PM
Shogun would prove to be a great test for Machida. I could possible see them having him fight Wand in December for a #1 contender shot. Looking forward to see how the LHW picture looks in 2009. Forrest vs Rashad for the LHW belt is something few people would have predicted at the begining of 2008. Looks like TUF is working out great for the UFC.
StorminYourman
9/9/08 11:44:20PM
I like Machida vs Rampage but it is hard for the UFC to find opponents for him
prozacnation1978
9/9/08 11:59:09PM
i am telling you thiago silva will still fight machida in dec
wandy will fight rampage in nov

but i can't believe they added the carwin fight when you have gono vs hardy or baron vs miller
Mchubb316
9/10/08 12:06:24AM
I think the UFC wants Carwin to get as much exposure as possible. If they think he can be champion one day, they will do what they can to get him known, by all their fans for marketing purposes down the road.
RMFG_187
9/10/08 12:39:43AM
Edit: im an idiot, i cant read
crazedfan
9/10/08 1:16:03AM

Posted by Mchubb316

I think the UFC wants Carwin to get as much exposure as possible. If they think he can be champion one day, they will do what they can to get him known, by all their fans for marketing purposes down the road.

Exactly, just like they did with Velasquez, putting them on the main card even though it's only their second fight in the company.
coldchillin
9/10/08 1:38:09AM
hmm... maybe we will get to see Machida and Thiago Silva fight after all then.
jgtribbett
9/10/08 5:45:58PM
would surely be a great fight.. but idk how exciting it would be which is weird to say because shogun is in it. war shogun
MMAcca
9/11/08 1:12:32AM
They should keep machida waiting until T.Silva is back to 100%
jocka
9/11/08 7:57:54AM

Posted by MMAcca

They should keep machida waiting until T.Silva is back to 100%

that fight is gonna be a war and a good test formachida as well