Lyoto Machida vs Mauricio Rua confirmed for UFC 104 on October 24

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Lyoto Machida vs Mauricio Rua confirmed for UFC 104 on October 24
MMAcca
6/6/09 7:28:50PM
It’s time for some Brazilian-on-Brazilian crime.

MMAmania.com has learned that bout agreements have been signed for the light heavyweight title fight between newly-minted champion Lyoto Machida (15-0) and 2005 Pride FC Middleweight Grand Prix winner Mauricio Rua (18-3) for UFC 104 at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, California, on October 24.

LINK
sparky
6/6/09 8:38:33PM
I think Shogun is a great first test for Machida!!!
Twenty20Dollars
6/6/09 9:16:55PM
Come on Shogun!!!!
TNPanther78
6/6/09 9:29:54PM
Shogun isn't deserving but I'm pulling for him.WAR SHOGUN
Aether
6/6/09 10:12:00PM
ehhhh... I would've liked to see shogun get another win first. I'm not really sure that he's fully back in shape for a 5 round fight or the he's earned the shot over some of the other fighters in the division. Should be an exciting fight though either way. I doubt anyone will beat Machida any time soon.
Twenty20Dollars
6/6/09 11:07:47PM

Posted by Aether

ehhhh... I would've liked to see shogun get another win first. I'm not really sure that he's fully back in shape for a 5 round fight or the he's earned the shot over some of the other fighters in the division. Should be an exciting fight though either way. I doubt anyone will beat Machida any time soon.

Who else do you think should have gotten a shot? I can't think of many, maybe Luiz Cane but he isnt as big of a name as shogun.
prozacnation1978
6/6/09 11:24:12PM
i can't wait to go!!

question is which shogun will show up???
ncordless
6/7/09 12:23:24AM
I think that Shogun is going to suprise people. He might not win, but he will suprise people. Brazillian opponents have always brought out the best in him.
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
6/7/09 12:23:46AM
Going for Machida by KO somewhere in the later rounds, 3rd or 4th
Wolfenstein
6/7/09 1:19:39AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this will be the first time the UFC has had a title fight between two non-english speaking opponents..although Machida's english is improving--we're making history baby!

Shogun probably could have used another fight under his belt, but he's next in line pretty much after Quinton so--it's definetely a matchup I'd like to see. I would imagine their going to throw in a pretty solid co-main event, wonder who it will be.
Ordep
6/7/09 3:14:23AM
Shogun-Rampage II will be the next LHW title fight after this one...

seanfu
6/7/09 4:35:39AM
Yeah, I have to say if there was one style and talent in the division that could challenge Machida it's Rua. But Rua's defense is sloppy, or at least appeared that way.

So... Machida by murder death kill, but I giv e Shogun the only legitimate chance in the division unless we see a fresh and fearsom Vera at LHW.
Pookie
6/7/09 4:40:05AM
This will be the best striker Machida has ever faced. I cant wait
1daveufc
6/7/09 1:06:42PM
Makes for a good fight a think it will either end very quick with shogun winning via ko/tko or machida winning in the 3rd or 4th by ko/tko.Yet again its the cardio think with shogun he looked great against chuck but it never past the 1st round so we dont no if he is sorted out his cardio problem.These to are my fav L/H so am not sure who i want to win.
supatolacyl
6/7/09 4:37:37PM
I still can't believe Rampage would rather coach some tuf'rs instead of getting a title fight. What happens if by some freak accident, Rashad beats Rampage at da finale?? Now Rampage would be another 6 months or year out from a title fight, wish he would have taken the title fight. I know not many people want to face Machida, but atleast someone decent has stepped up, even though, I think Machida will pick Shogun apart fairly easily, but we will have to wait and see.
TNPanther78
6/7/09 4:46:17PM

Posted by Ordep

Shogun-Rampage II will be the next LHW title fight after this one...

That would be amazing!!!!
Pskinner_mma314
6/7/09 4:56:28PM

Posted by supatolacyl

I still can't believe Rampage would rather coach some tuf'rs instead of getting a title fight. What happens if by some freak accident, Rashad beats Rampage at da finale??

I just had a great idea when i read this, have Evans vs Jackson on the live finale card, it'll be only the second time TUF has done that, I know Penn vs Pulver was on the finale, wasn't Shamrock vs Ortiz on the finale too.

I'm just sayin, Kimbo could make it, maybe not all the way to the finals but at least to the card, then u have Rashad vs Rampage live=

RATINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
shevtheman
6/7/09 7:26:01PM
This is gonna be tough for Shogun but im hoping he does it. Best option for him is cut off the cage and go for a takedown.
Boo_Radley21
6/7/09 9:14:11PM
I think Machida is gonna beat Shogun pretty decisively but I really would like to see Shogun fight Rampage again so I'm not sure who I want to win.
Sir_Karl
6/7/09 10:28:37PM
It doesn't matter which Shogun shows up to fight...Machida is going to hurt him.
Machida will make it look easy to boot.
Wolf
6/7/09 10:41:55PM
this is lame. I think shogun is a good fighter, and he would probably earn it eventually, but honestly, 1 win gets you a title shot in one of the most stacked divisions in the world? This is stupid.
cmill21
6/8/09 1:57:37AM

Posted by Sir_Karl

It doesn't matter which Shogun shows up to fight...Machida is going to hurt him.
Machida will make it look easy to boot.

Avy bet.
emfleek
6/8/09 9:04:32AM

Posted by Wolf

this is lame. I think shogun is a good fighter, and he would probably earn it eventually, but honestly, 1 win gets you a title shot in one of the most stacked divisions in the world? This is stupid.

2 wins.

1 fight of the night.

1 KO of the night.
ncordless
6/8/09 10:17:03AM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Wolf

2 wins.

1 fight of the night.

1 KO of the night.

Excellent point!
kaskd
6/8/09 7:27:45PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Wolf

2 wins.

1 fight of the night.

1 KO of the night.

Against Coleman

and a man who lost 4 out of his last 5 fights. It's easy to look good when you fight people on a slide. He hasn't earned a title shot.
Frost_777
6/10/09 1:43:48AM
only rampage deserves the shot but he clearly wants to fight rashad and hope that someone beats machida while he is on tuf, this will be a great fight its either shogun shows up viciously and we see who can take what or shogun gets frustrated by machida and does something dumb and gets steamrolled by him. the odds are in machida's favor but if shogun comes with intensity and power in the first he can easily make it 50/50. someone is going to get knocked out that is the only thing anyone can be sure about
borustheblade
6/14/09 7:34:41PM
machida wont survive shogun
runningman08
6/20/09 4:59:17AM
i don't see how people can say Machida is garbage. He is one of the calmest most strategic fighters today. He goes out to win. I got Machida winning by unanimous. Just look at his stats then try to call him garbage. MMA isn't all about swinging gloves and hoping for a knockout each time. Any real fan knows that.
telnights
6/20/09 5:18:10AM
I like Shogun but I don't feel his chances are that great in this fight. I think Rampage stands a much better chance than Shogun does. I agree Shogun is a great fighter but he looked really bad in the Coleman fight and than only fought 1 round against Liddell so not sure if he can handle a 5 round fight. I think his chances would be a lot better if he had another fight before taking on the best LHW in the world. But this is MMA and anything can happen but I feel is odds of winning aren't that great. I think Shogun will survive early but tire in the later rounds and get TKOed/KOed. Machida's speed and footwork are some of the best I have ever seen and I don't think Shogun will be able to deal with for 5 rounds.
EvenFlow
6/20/09 12:42:26PM
Lot of bandwagon jumpers in here lol. I think Shogun is the only one who can challenge Machida and I'm with the few on here who dont wanna see this happen yet, not because I dont think he can win but it was supposed to be built up as the best LH fight ever and I'd like to see Shogun get more experience in the cage. Rampage is basically saying hes already gotten past Rashad and hes condescending about Machida like hes gonna blow past him too. I thought maybe Forrest gave him a humble wake up call but I think Shogun or Machida might have to do it too.

I dont see Rampage vs Shogun 2 going any different except maybe a round longer assuming it happens and Machida vs Rampage would be a leg kick TKO lol. If hes content going for the money instead of a guarenteed title shot, whatever. I know there arnt many freedoms when it comes to fighters in the UFC, but belt fights are the one thing that should have structure and something the fighters should have no say in (assuming injury free) which for the most part they dont.

When it comes to the fight I have no idea who to pick, but I favor Shogun ever slightly.