Lyoto Machida Will Likely Not Return Until 2012, Doesn't Know If He Is Being Punished

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Lyoto Machida Will Likely Not Return Until 2012, Doesn't Know If He Is Being Punished
Poor_Franklin
10/4/11 9:40:28PM
Former UFC light heavyweight champion Lyoto Machida hasn't competed since UFC 129 when he knocked out Randy Couture in spectacular fashion, and people have been wondering when he's going to fight next. He was asked to step in at UFC 133 and replace an injured Phil Davis to face Rashad Evans, but his monetary demands weren't to Dana White's liking (he wanted "Anderson Silva money") so the bout went to Tito Ortiz instead. Machida was asked a couple of weeks ago whether he felt he was being punished for his demands

Bloody Elbow
ghandikush
10/4/11 9:58:05PM
Probably.
Twenty20Dollars
10/4/11 10:18:36PM
Um, who can they give him as a semi-top tier opponent?

I think most guys are in fights, or just had fights or injuried.
DeadHead988
10/4/11 11:17:24PM
That's some real bs. I wanna see Machida fight!
Bubbles
10/4/11 11:58:23PM
bring James Toney back for all i care, i want to see Lyoto fight again. enough with this BS with top level fighters having so much time off between fights....especially when there is no injury. unless they think Hendo, Shogun, or Lil Nog is going to pull out due to injury and want Machida to step in (and will pony up the money), there is no excuse for this

hell, let Chael move back up for a fight regardless what happens on Saturday
Bubbles
10/5/11 12:03:58AM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Um, who can they give him as a semi-top tier opponent?

I think most guys are in fights, or just had fights or injuried.

they can scrap the Vladdy/Gustafsson fight and give one of them Machida, Griffin is always game, i dont think Rampage is injured (and their fight wasnt really decisive), Thiago Silva's suspension should be nearing its end (it would be a nice welcome back fight...and yes i know about their 1st fight but still). thats about all i can come up with since Davis is still nursing an injury and Evans doesnt want to lose his title shot.
prophecy033
10/5/11 12:34:28AM
Why not match him up with Phil Davis? That would be a killer matchup. Phil doesn't have anyone lined up that I know of. Plus, whoever wins that fight could be next in line after Rashad.

Poor_Franklin
10/5/11 12:49:31AM

Posted by prophecy033

Why not match him up with Phil Davis? That would be a killer matchup. Phil doesn't have anyone lined up that I know of. Plus, whoever wins that fight could be next in line after Rashad.

i think phil is still recovering from a surgery....or some type of injury
jae_1833
10/5/11 1:17:24AM
Agreed a los to Rampage and a win against Randy in a retirement match I don't know how high he really ranks to even want a top ranked guy.....give him Franklin or Baser.
DeadHead988
10/5/11 1:25:49AM

Posted by Poor_Franklin

Posted by prophecy033

i think phil is still recovering from a surgery....or some type of injury

Is it just me or is he constantly injured?
Twenty20Dollars
10/5/11 1:28:31AM
Davis is still recovering.
Already fought Rampage.
Thiago he already beat, plus who knows what Thiago is doing.
Franklin is recovering and might be going to 185.
Shogun/Hendo are fighting
Vladdy/Gus are fighting
Forrest just lost.

Idk if Machida would fight one of these lesser guys at LHW or not, but those are his only options at this fight if he wants a fight.
DrivenDavies15
10/5/11 1:36:19AM
They could always bring a guy over from Strikeforce like maybe King Mo? I know i'd be a huge step up in competition but if Machida needs a fight? My guess is that they'll put him against Davis when he's recovered. So sometime in early 2012
Travesty145
10/5/11 2:33:13AM
mousasi vs machida
Chael_Sonnen
10/5/11 7:09:28AM
Chael
Sir_Karl
10/5/11 9:23:23AM
There aren't too many viable options for Lyoto right now but they could throw Stanislav Nedkov at him in a few months.
Boo_Radley21
10/5/11 9:24:17AM
I'm not too concerned about the lack of Machida fights these days. He really isn't even ranked high not top five definitely
prozacnation1978
10/5/11 10:05:51AM
Have him fight griffin in toronto
Sucks his last fight was in april injury free and doesn't fight rest of year
He should have taken the evans fight.
Pookie
10/5/11 11:28:04AM

Posted by Boo_Radley21

I'm not too concerned about the lack of Machida fights these days. He really isn't even ranked high not top five definitely

Even though he beat Rashad dominantly? He's still not top 5?
gartface
10/5/11 11:29:22AM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by Boo_Radley21

Even though he beat Rashad dominantly? He's still not top 5?

Not to mention what should have been a win against Rampage.
Bythar
10/5/11 12:03:31PM
I'd like to see him in there soon for sure. I'd love to see him fight Dan Henderson after that.
KungFuMaster
10/5/11 12:11:15PM
Glad to see some Machida love floating around here..

Anyway, I don't think Machida knows how to play the game yet. He needs to call people out and start some feuds. I know it is not in his culture or his personality to do so but like nature always says - the mouth to get fed is the one that speaks.
emfleek
10/5/11 12:21:59PM

Posted by Travesty145

mousasi vs machida

mrsmiley
10/5/11 1:57:49PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Travesty145

mousasi vs machida

I agree with this as well. That would be such a freakin awesome fight on paper.
LuckyCharms
10/5/11 5:30:58PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Davis is still recovering.
Already fought Rampage.
Thiago he already beat, plus who knows what Thiago is doing.
Franklin is recovering and might be going to 185.
Shogun/Hendo are fighting
Vladdy/Gus are fighting
Forrest just lost.

Idk if Machida would fight one of these lesser guys at LHW or not, but those are his only options at this fight if he wants a fight.

Thiago Silva is coaching at American Top Team Doral now with his wife, who's the main Jiu- Jitsu coach.
sbulldavid
10/5/11 8:04:16PM
I think Lyoto gets title shot or number one contender match if somebody gets injured, so I think he's just insurance right now.