Lyoto Machida has the Light Heavyweight Division Ducking

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Lyoto Machida has the Light Heavyweight Division Ducking
Wolfenstein
6/30/08 12:18:18AM
Wanderlei Silva, Forrest Griffin, Quentin Jackson, and Bradon Vera have all supposedly ducked Machida.

Link
holt8081
6/30/08 12:26:06AM
I think thay are all afraid. I like it when some one askes all these guys who they want to fight next and they say " who ever dana wants me to fight who ever they put in front of me I will fight" What a load of crap
Twenty20Dollars
6/30/08 12:28:29AM
Silva ducking Machida? didnt see anything about that.

I remember forrest along time ago saying he didnt want to fight machida, like before forrest had the fight with hector.

I think rampage,wandy and vera would all beat machida. Rampage is so right, no point in fighting a guy that just trys to run away and throw a punch now and then.

Vera didnt have enough time to train for a fight with machida that isnt really ducking, i mean anyone else would do that same. when you are going to face a contender you should have a decent amount of time to train.

pretty sure the only guy ducking is forrest, but im sure he would fight him if he had too.

Figsak
6/30/08 12:36:21AM

Posted by holt8081

I think thay are all afraid. I like it when some one askes all these guys who they want to fight next and they say " who ever dana wants me to fight who ever they put in front of me I will fight" What a load of crap

HA! yep.

Thats like when you go into a job interview and profess that working at Wal-Mart is my lifes dream Mr. Bossman.

They only hire liars.

(I actually told a McDonalds manager this when I was 15 and interviewing for a job. He asked me if I was excited to be apart of the McDonalds family, I asked him if he wanted a hard worker or a liar... I didn't get the job that answers that.)
kerazzle
6/30/08 1:14:32AM
these rumours lost all credibility when Wanderlei was added to the list. Silva isn't afraid of anybody.
Mchubb316
6/30/08 1:23:38AM
I don't think that anyone is ducking Machida. He is a tough fight, and you need to prepare for him a little different than most fights. Most fighters train for their opponents, and work on their, strengths. Every fighter is different, but Machida is so unorthidox, that taking a fight with him on short notice, especially for your first fight at LHW would not be smart. Machida is beatable, the UFC just has not put the right guy in there to do it.
Naturaldisaster
6/30/08 1:32:31AM
yeah I highly doubt they're ducking him. Rampage has fought alot of great fighters and is the champion, I dont think he would duck machida. Forrest beat SHOGUN! I doubt he would duck machida. WANDERLAI is Wanderlai!!!! I dont think he would duck him. now brandon vera? he might IDK
Vote4Fedro
6/30/08 1:42:15AM
I think a lot of guys want him for 5 rounds not 3. They're is way to good a chance of Macheettah getting the decision in 3, maybe u can catch him in 5. I love him he will be champ but it cracks me up to call him Macheettah.

Some day he will throw a haduken fireball and everyone will be like what!!
Figsak
6/30/08 2:03:46AM

Posted by Vote4Fedro

Oh boy

You sir are going to be LOVED here
Pookie
6/30/08 2:12:30AM
I dont see how rampage has ducked machida when he has been locked into this match with forrest for the last 7-8 months.

The first post is in the past tense which gives the quotes a twist on them which changes the meaning of those who said that they just wouldnt want to fight them, big difference then ducking.

What Tito did to Chuck was ducking.
Pookie
6/30/08 2:13:41AM

Posted by Figsak

Posted by Vote4Fedro

Oh boy

You sir are going to be LOVED here

you act like youve never seen machida throw the hadouken before. Re-watch the sokoudjou fight.
loller90278
6/30/08 2:25:17AM

Posted by kerazzle

these rumours lost all credibility when Wanderlei was added to the list. Silva isn't afraid of anybody.

wanderlei was offered to fight machida on the july card to rival afflictions and he said he didn't have enough time to prepare.
Sam_Rothstein
6/30/08 2:36:42AM
I thought Forrest was gonna fight machida already but had to pull out due to a nasty staph infection

I recently heard in an interview that Rampage was very confident he could beat machida

This doesnt even look like an article, it reads more like a forum post
Naturaldisaster
6/30/08 2:40:41AM

Posted by loller90278

Posted by kerazzle

wanderlei was offered to fight machida on the july card to rival afflictions and he said he didn't have enough time to prepare.

thats understandible though. I wouldnt fight someone like machida without having plenty of time to train for him
GSPCanada
6/30/08 3:44:37AM
Doesn't look too credible/official to me vera n wanderlei did not have enough time. like come on i am not a big fan of vera but the guy fought at hw basically for fun he took on tim sylvia I know machida is a great fighter but your going to sit here and tell me vera wanted to fight tim sylvia but not machida.

Wanderlei silva ducking machida? the guy fights guys like rampage and cro cop and liddelll the guy very well may be out of talent but has way too much heart
Forrest was injured he got lucky he was injured when he was scheduled to fight forrest I would like to see that fight though

Rampage is the champ he basically has no choice who he fights unless he does the tito but anyways henderson fight was announced the night rampage beat chuck and this forrest fight has been booked forever it seems like so i dont know how he has time to duck him

w/ all that being said i still think machida beats all these guys i just dont believe these guys would duck anyone
ThaAxeMurderer7
6/30/08 3:53:35AM

Posted by loller90278

Posted by kerazzle

I know Wanderlei was offered to fight Vera on the July 19th card and I even heard that Vera was offered a fight with Machida on that same card but I have never heard of Wanderlei being offered Machida. I'm not saying you are wrong but I would like to know where you heard that.
CwB
6/30/08 6:50:18AM

Posted by Sam_Rothstein

I thought Forrest was gonna fight machida already but had to pull out due to a nasty staph infection

I recently heard in an interview that Rampage was very confident he could beat machida

This doesnt even look like an article, it reads more like a forum post

Forrest went to a hospital and rubbed his body on a guy with staph. thats how he ducked machida

Honestly i find it hard to believe any of these guys just said no to fighting machida. with that being said it makes sense why people dont want to fight him but i personally want to see machida fight a hard hitter like

rampage, wandy, or chuck
mrsmiley
6/30/08 7:35:18AM
Supposedly Liddell has ducked him too.

But anyhow,I really don't believe anyone is ducking the guy.But all this is adding to the Machida "mystique" rather nicely though.

I think the only person you can make a case for,would be Forrest,based on the fact that he did say he wanted no part of Machida,but Forrest does talk down on himself an awful lot anyway.
Jackelope
6/30/08 8:16:46AM
It's pretty hard to take any quote of Forrest's seriously. The guy is consistently saying smart ass things that are self deprecating. When read as words on a screen without any inflection or tone they can certainly appear to mean exactly what they say. Remember- this is Forrest Griffin talking here. He'd take the fight if given enough time to prepare.

Once Machida fights someone with good footwork and counter punching he'll look a lot more beatable.
saemskin
6/30/08 8:19:29AM

Posted by luke420187

Wanderlei Silva, Forrest Griffin, Quentin Jackson, and Bradon Vera have all supposedly ducked Machida.

Link

I don't believe any of that article. Forrest would never say that about anyone. Matter of fact, I'll put my whole bankroll on this statement: Not a single top 10 LHW would say that about ANY fighter. If those words did escape somones lips, I guarantee there are being taken WAY out of context by some asshat who wants to generate some friction and be an exciting writer.

This is not news. It is lies.
prozacnation1978
6/30/08 10:08:01AM
i only knew that forest and vera ducked him, but eventually he will fight these guys
The_hungry_lumberjack
6/30/08 10:09:10AM
Just cause they don't feel like fighting the most boring fight of their careers right now doesn't mean they are ducking him. There's plenty of time to fight a slow counterpunching fight that ends in a decision.
teddythetuna
6/30/08 11:04:43AM
If Vera and Wanderlei only had a short time to prepare chances are Machida had the same amount of time.from the looks of it he was willing to fight Vera or Wandy which to me shows that he believes he can beat anybody. I love Wandy and Machida so im glad they didnt fight on short notice tainting the victory for who ever won. I dont believe for a minute though that Wandy ducked him. Machida is a guy you NEED time to prepare for. I also dont see his fights as boring. He picks his shots and at any given moment can finish a fight. But We will just all agree to disagree on that.
warglory
6/30/08 11:35:32AM

Posted by teddythetuna

If Vera and Wanderlei only had a short time to prepare chances are Machida had the same amount of time.from the looks of it he was willing to fight Vera or Wandy which to me shows that he believes he can beat anybody. I love Wandy and Machida so im glad they didnt fight on short notice tainting the victory for who ever won. I dont believe for a minute though that Wandy ducked him. Machida is a guy you NEED time to prepare for. I also dont see his fights as boring. He picks his shots and at any given moment can finish a fight. But We will just all agree to disagree on that.

otacon279
6/30/08 11:41:09AM
Machida's fights will always go to decision.

hit and run .. better than wall and stall.
PaleHorse
6/30/08 11:52:40AM

Posted by teddythetuna

I agree, I think anyone who calls this "ducking" is highly mistaken. Ducking a fighter and not wanting to fight a guy who mesmerizes anyone across the cage on short notice are two different things. I know most people consider ducking when you don't "Fight anyone, anywhere, at anytime" but I saw above that someone said even Chuck was offered this fight and turned it down (I dunno if thats because his hamstring, but its probably because he doesn't have enough time to bring in a karate master to train with for the typical 6 weeks a camp takes) This isn't ducking, its Dana trying to compete with Affliction and asking his fighters to do something really tough, which is possibly get knocked off the ladder because you couldn't prepare.
CantAndleDaRiddum
6/30/08 12:00:45PM
he is such a horrible matchup i dont find this hard to believe, but it sure sucks for us fans
RMFG_187
6/30/08 12:19:58PM
Rampage is the only one i can see beating this guy, or maybe Chuck countering a counter puncher. Machida needs to get hit! Wandy would get demolished, if Machida and A Silva fought at a catch weight, Silva would get domo'd too. u need either a power/counter puncher, or an all around strong, good striker and wrestler to take this guy. probably the most elusive man to ever be in this sport, and quite possibly the most confusing and unorthodox Fighter EVER!
mrsmiley
6/30/08 1:42:27PM

Posted by saemskin

Posted by luke420187

Link

I don't believe any of that article. Forrest would never say that about anyone. Matter of fact, I'll put my whole bankroll on this statement: Not a single top 10 LHW would say that about ANY fighter. If those words did escape somones lips, I guarantee there are being taken WAY out of context by some asshat who wants to generate some friction and be an exciting writer.

This is not news. It is lies.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/ufc/article1355530.ece

Well here's the original interview if you want to read it.

"It's pretty hard to take any quote of Forrest's seriously. The guy is consistently saying smart ass things that are self deprecating. When read as words on a screen without any inflection or tone they can certainly appear to mean exactly what they say. Remember- this is Forrest Griffin talking here. He'd take the fight if given enough time to prepare.

Once Machida fights someone with good footwork and counter punching he'll look a lot more beatable"

I agree.And as I mentioned too,Forrest says stuff like that all the time.I
kaskd
6/30/08 5:28:52PM
I have nothing original to say, b/c i agree with the general idea that these guys aren't ducking etc etc. but does anyone else have any gifs or vids of any more unorthodox strikes from mma? Like the double thrown by Machida in the link. It's just interesting to see people try things in a mma fight that is normally only thrown in a martial arts tournament.