Lyoto Machida Interview

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Lyoto Machida Interview
Wolfenstein
1/7/09 2:50:16PM
What are you training of special to him? (Thiago Silva)

I'm training a lot my specialty first, the stand up game, my Karate, I’ve been focusing in this a lot, also the takedown part and the ground game. I do the complete training, but I prioritize what I have better, my strongest weapon, stand up fight. We always make a study of the opponent, I do this for about three months, seeing how he is, where he works, so I can beat up on these things not being surprised.

link
EvenFlow
1/7/09 3:05:29PM

Posted by Wolfenstein

What are you training of special to him? (Thiago Silva)

I'm training a lot my specialty first, the stand up game, my Karate, I’ve been focusing in this a lot, also the takedown part and the ground game. I do the complete training, but I prioritize what I have better, my strongest weapon, stand up fight. We always make a study of the opponent, I do this for about three months, seeing how he is, where he works, so I can beat up on these things not being surprised.

link

I like everything he has to say in that interview and any of them especially his philosophies of fighting.

lol that av is freakin' awesome wolf
Gipper
1/7/09 6:58:42PM
i hope to see the bjj of silva dominate the karate of machida because in my mind bjj rules over karate as a martial art.
Jackelope
1/7/09 7:16:19PM

Posted by Gipper

i hope to see the bjj of silva dominate the karate of machida because in my mind bjj rules over karate as a martial art.

Just out of curiosity- do you feel that if Machida wins that Karate is a better style? I'm genuinely curious.
Kpro
1/7/09 7:18:48PM
LOL at Karate and BJJ or anything else like Wrestling or Sambo.

Everyone knows Tae Kwan Do is the best martial art.

Obviously some of you haven't seen the Foot Fist Way
JimiMak
1/7/09 8:55:26PM
Machida is far too technical. He can dec, ko or get a tap. I don't see how Thiago wins except for a dec or lucky punch. Machida is finally gonna show everyone that he only should be getting top 5 opps. I say late ko by machida.
grappler0000
1/7/09 9:00:34PM

Posted by Gipper

I would say that Machida's BJJ is just as good if not better than Silva's.
Gipper
1/8/09 3:29:47PM

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by Gipper

Just out of curiosity- do you feel that if Machida wins that Karate is a better style? I'm genuinely curious.

nope......just out of curiousity did you read the last part where i said bjj dominates karate as a martial art. i'm a huge t.silva fan so whenever the topic of either fighter comes up i have to get in a few bs words in here and there.
Pookie
1/8/09 3:43:22PM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by Gipper

You know in spite of as much of a Machida Nuthugger i am, i disagree with you here.

I Personally think Thiago is great on the ground, uses his BJJ to transition and has heavy enough hands to make it hell if he gets mount. He has more tools and is geniunely better on the ground then machida IMO.

On the feet however Thiago is way out of his league here, and i doubt he has good enough takedowns to bring Machida down to his world.
Thiago is a heavyhanded puncher but he lacks alot in his Stand-up in terms of footwork, mobility, headmovement, hand speed, reflex-timing, and possibly even cardio. Despite his tendency to win by TKO i feel he is a much better ground fighter than stand-up fighter.
Gipper
1/8/09 3:44:37PM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by Gipper

i will have to disagree. machida does have some good bjj but to say it's on the same level or higher then silva's isn't a very smart statement in my mind. if you look at most of silva's fights he wins by tko on the ground because his bjj. i'm not taking anything away from machida because he is one of the best mma fighters in the world but again his bjj isn't on thiago's level. remember machida did almost get triangled and armbared by a supposed over the hill tito ortiz.