Lyoto Machida to fight Tito Ortiz

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Lyoto Machida to fight Tito Ortiz
Next Page »
POLL: Who do you think Lyoto should fight?
Chuck Liddell 42% (36)
Tito Ortiz 50% (43)
other 8% (7)
Violence108
1/5/08 5:34:55PM
the UFC is offering Lyoto Machida a fight with Tito Ortiz , that would be a good fight a big chance for Tito to get in the title picture and a huge chance for Lyoto to get a title shot. But Machida is call out Chuck Liddell and even bigger chance for Machida to get a title shot and a huge chance for Chuck to get in the title picture again , i am going to say Tito just because i want to see him fight
cmill21
1/5/08 5:49:05PM
I think a fight against Tito would be better for him since there's less risk with same reward. Looks like Tito's becoming the LHW gate keeper.
Blizzard
1/5/08 5:51:16PM
Between those fighs, I would rather see the Machida vs. Tito fight, I think it would be a better fight. I think the match up with Machida vs. Chuck is a bad match for Chuck.
I would like to see Machida vs. Thiago, I think that would be a great fight and would end someones win streak. ( I don't think this will happen, it would not be a good move for the UFC right now, maybe in the future.)
Boo_Radley21
1/5/08 5:58:47PM
I actually think this is a good fight for Tito. If he wins he could make a good comeback from his draw with Evans over a guy who is earning the respect of more and more people,especially after he beat Soko. I give this to Tito by either GnP or decision.
jomatty
1/5/08 6:07:11PM
seems like a big step back for machida. if he fights chuck we have a genuine contender if he beats tito...well he just beat tito who really isnt one of the top guys anymore.
postman
1/5/08 6:07:14PM
I think Jardine is getting the shaft. He beats Forrest then Chuck. He should be fighting Forrest to see who fights Page. But since they gave Forrest the fight with page then I think Jardine Machida for # 1 contender makes the most sense.
tuvok500
1/5/08 6:18:00PM
I think Tito can beat Machida .

i also think that Liddell can beat Machida.

so, basically, By beating Machida Tito can prove that he his still there for real and that his back problem are now gone.

I think Liddell should have a rematch with Jardine, there fight was close and it can give us a real good idea of what Jardine is made of and it can also show us if Liddell is really back or if the Wandy fight was just that Wandy have lost his normal drive.

I want to see Tito at montreal so Tito / Machida will make me happy !!

prozacnation1978
1/5/08 6:28:46PM
let me think forrest beats shogun gets title shot machida is 4-0 and still isn't a contender yet, i think machida would beat tito down but eventually his title shot might come by the end of the year i think he will fight twice and have to win twice against ortiz and second maybe lidell or jardine
mrsmiley
1/5/08 6:49:14PM

Posted by postman

I think Jardine is getting the shaft. He beats Forrest then Chuck. He should be fighting Forrest to see who fights Page. But since they gave Forrest the fight with page then I think Jardine Machida for # 1 contender makes the most sense.

I agree with you to an extent.It's just the LHW division is very stacked right now.It seems like everytime you turn around their's another guy their that could become the champion.
Kastro
1/5/08 7:15:09PM
Where is Jardine? He's beaten Forrest and Chuck and it seems like he's getting ignored by the UFC now...

I think Ortiz vs Machida would be interesting, dangerous fight for Tito as he is on quite the unproductive streak. Machida on the other hand would walk through him IMO and would most likely submit Tito on the ground if he was taken down..

I would rather see Machida vs Chuck, time for Dana to stop giving his poster boys easy roads back to the title... lets see them earn it like GSP did when he won the WW title... he had to fight a huge list of top names, not many other people in the UFC have had to do that.

I think we should see Machida vs Chuck, epic battle of strikers just like the Wandy fight... but this one will be better I believe. Let Ortiz rematch Wandy or fight Shogun.
Stickan
1/5/08 7:15:44PM
Tito is a horrible match-up for Lyoto. I don't think many LHWs in the UFC right now can beat Lyoto and I don't think Tito can beat many of the LHWs that Lyoto can beat but Lyoto is taylor-made for Tito.

Tito has a big size advantage, is stronger, great wrestler with good submission defense and pretty good defense on the feet.
That's why I'd like to see Lyoto fight Chuck. That's a lot harder fight to pick and Lyoto´s hype won't get obliterated with elbows.

IF Chuck would catch Lyoto and knock him out he still wouldn't look good doing it. Lyoto would test Chuck and make a gritty fight out of it.
sillysnail
1/5/08 7:15:56PM
unfortunately i don't think the ufc believes jardine has champion capability. personally, i don't think he does. is it fair that he's getting overlooked? not really. i think machida should be fighting someone other than ortiz, especially if he's trying to work himself up. too easy of a win for machida here. put him up against a top contender (liddell, shogun, jardine even). if tito wants to get back in, put him up against wandy or some of the up and comers like thiago silva or houston alexander.
TrueNature
1/5/08 7:32:29PM

Posted by postman

actually he lost a fight in between to houston so its not fair to give him a title shot sorry, forrest wasnt considered a top 10 guy back when jardine beat him, forrest become top 10 after he beat shogun and got so many fights off popularity and that TUF show, jardine got noticed when he beat liddell, but he needs 2-3 wins to get a shot

nobody is getting screwed, you just have rooting interest, if anybody is getting screwed its the undefeated guys in any division not getting title shots
stock
1/5/08 7:40:13PM
I think Machida gets ripped off if he fights Tito next. He should have climbed the ladder in the UFC with the win over RTS, not fallen.
I don't even have Tito in my top 10.

I think Machida should get to fight Jardine for the next shot at the belt after the Jackson/Griffin fight takes place.

I would like to see Liddell fight Shogun Next.
I would like to see Wandy fight RTS next.
I would like to see Thiago Silva fight Rashad Next.
I would like to see Tito fight Hamill next.
mkiv9secsupra
1/5/08 7:51:09PM

Posted by Blizzard

Between those fighs, I would rather see the Machida vs. Tito fight, I think it would be a better fight. I think the match up with Machida vs. Chuck is a bad match for Chuck.
I would like to see Machida vs. Thiago, I think that would be a great fight and would end someones win streak. ( I don't think this will happen, it would not be a good move for the UFC right now, maybe in the future.)

Bad match for Chuck? More like KO loss for Machida....

Ortiz vs. Machida would be a good match. Lets see how Machida can do against a semi-decorated wrestler. IMO machida loses by UD.

I would much rather see Shogun vs Machida. Shogun lost his last fight and comes down the rankings while Machida wins against a low top ten guy.
Violence108
1/5/08 7:53:06PM
Tito would never fight Hamill
jocksmall
1/5/08 10:48:54PM

Posted by Violence108

the UFC is offering Lyoto Machida a fight with Tito Ortiz , that would be a good fight a big chance for Tito to get in the title picture and a huge chance for Lyoto to get a title shot. But Machida is call out Chuck Liddell and even bigger chance for Machida to get a title shot and a huge chance for Chuck to get in the title picture again , i am going to say Tito just because i want to see him fight

chuck would be a much better fight i could care less if i ever see tito fight again after his last few performances. chuck vs lyoto would be a great fight who wins?
i would like to see tito vs shogun
jardine vs wandy
evans vs thiago
tepid55
1/5/08 10:59:46PM
I would rather see Machida fight Ortiz because I think he has a more well-rounded attack than Liddell.
postman
1/5/08 11:16:39PM

Posted by TrueNature

Posted by postman

actually he lost a fight in between to houston so its not fair to give him a title shot sorry, forrest wasnt considered a top 10 guy back when jardine beat him, forrest become top 10 after he beat shogun and got so many fights off popularity and that TUF show, jardine got noticed when he beat liddell, but he needs 2-3 wins to get a shot

nobody is getting screwed, you just have rooting interest, if anybody is getting screwed its the undefeated guys in any division not getting title shots

I wouldn't mind seeing Machida and T. Silva for #1 contender. I am intrested in why and who you think I have rooting interest in. I did know that Jardine lost to Huston but Forrest lost to Jardine then beat shogun, so how can we say he gets the shot? Before you say Shogun was #1 or 2 I know that, but Chuck is the end all be all to Dana. the LHW division is stacked and you will have this with so many good fighters.
rameydl8
1/6/08 1:36:17AM
i hope he fights tito just because i dont really like tito and i think machida could beat him with his unique style.....and maybe just maybe....shut tito up...
Manfred
1/6/08 2:29:30AM
I think he's too small for both Chuck and Tito. I'd like to see him fight T. Silva
warglory
1/6/08 2:47:16AM

Posted by Stickan

Tito is a horrible match-up for Lyoto. I don't think many LHWs in the UFC right now can beat Lyoto and I don't think Tito can beat many of the LHWs that Lyoto can beat but Lyoto is taylor-made for Tito.

Tito has a big size advantage, is stronger, great wrestler with good submission defense and pretty good defense on the feet.
That's why I'd like to see Lyoto fight Chuck. That's a lot harder fight to pick and Lyoto´s hype won't get obliterated with elbows.

IF Chuck would catch Lyoto and knock him out he still wouldn't look good doing it. Lyoto would test Chuck and make a gritty fight out of it.

By your logic, Soko should have ransacked Machida.

I think that Machida should fight either Chuck or Jardine, preferably Chuck. If he wins (which I think he will), he deserves a title shot
jomatty
1/6/08 3:41:11AM
while we are talking id like to see him drop and fight anderson. he looks small enough that he could maybe pull it off and his awkward style would make for an interesting fight...
Snowstud0101
1/6/08 4:07:26AM
Machida is in imop the next light heavy weight champ!! highly underated!! He is not flashy but he def gets the job done!!! He would take care of chuck or tito easily by the secound round! If any of those two fights happen look out for me dropping all my fantasy money on machida!!! Holla Atcha Boy!
bullettdodger
1/6/08 6:51:16AM

Posted by jomatty

while we are talking id like to see him drop and fight anderson. he looks small enough that he could maybe pull it off and his awkward style would make for an interesting fight...

machida and anderson train together so i think its about as likely as tito vs hamil. though ya never know if machida loses to the winner of rampage forrest then he may drop and i agree it would pose a very interesting fight!
xchickox
1/6/08 7:59:46AM
i think he should get chuck but i think he could beat either of them
dudave
1/6/08 11:35:02AM
Machida Vs Chuck is a wierd matchup because
both of them are counter punchers and it might
be aquard. but after 4 straight wins in the ufc + the
fact that he is undefeated i would say Machida
should be considered as the number one contender
and should be maximally one fight away from the title
shot, not more. and by fighting ortiz it's not sure he'l
get that title shot if he beats him.

basicly dana is just usinf machida to eliminate potential
contender in this division without giving him the title shot.
Stickan
1/6/08 12:28:19PM

Posted by warglory

Posted by Stickan

By your logic, Soko should have ransacked Machida.

Why's that? Soko isn't a great offensive wrestler, isn't nearly as experienced as Tito, isn't that good defensively on the feet and isn't known for GnPing with nasty elbows.
I think Soko would beat Tito but I definately think Tito would beat Machida.
rabbit915
1/6/08 12:31:16PM
Ive been trying to outline the next set of matchups for the top tier of LHW fighters in the UFC and i just cant do it. The UFC really messed things up by giving the next title shot to Griffin instead of Jardine. There is no one for Jardine to fight. If Rampage wins, he gets the next title shot but that could be 9 months from now. If Griffin wins, does it matter because Jardine just beat him. Should he really have to fight that fight again to prove hes better than a guy he just beat?

Anyway, here is the best outline ive got.

Shogun vs. Liddell

Machida vs. Tito (id rather have Machida fight Chuck but Chuck cant fight everyone)

Sokoudjou vs. Evans

Kinda leaves Jardine and Wandy out to dry. God this is hard to do.
Mastodon2
1/6/08 1:35:37PM
Machida is getting the shaft a bit here, why are they making him fight Tito? Tito is a much lower rung on the ladder, but unfortunately has the perfect LnP/GnP style to UD over Machida. This is a real bum deal for Lyoto!
Pages: [1] 2