Lyoto Machida To Fight Again In October

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Lyoto Machida To Fight Again In October
Next Page »
Wolfenstein
7/10/08 8:45:21PM
Machida's agent tells Tagg radio that Machida will have to fight again before getting a shot at the title. He also reiterates that Anderson Silva does not want to fight for the title since his friend is in line for a title shot and that Machida doesn't want to fight him either.

Link
bojangalz
7/10/08 9:04:29PM
*yawn*
Twenty20Dollars
7/10/08 9:43:13PM
vs Wandy? Would love to see Wandy beat down machida.
thesteven5918
7/10/08 10:00:02PM
i dont wanna see another fight where Machida runs backwards and keeps moving back to win a decision... not lookin forward to him... so i hope ehom ever his opponet is they just KO him and we hopefully never have to see him back up again
EON
7/10/08 10:10:05PM
lol at the machida haters lol
flainthefacerh
7/10/08 10:15:55PM
its funny how starnes and machida "run". yet i believe one judge scored the fight 30-24 against starnes, yet machida usually wins 30-27? thats odd...
RMFG_187
7/10/08 10:27:03PM
Machida does the least possible to win without getting hit. It doesn't make for good TV, but it's smart. Floyd Mayweather did this, so have some of the greats in boxing. Its just Machida is the first in MMA to perfect it.

so i say more power to him, but there will come a time in a fight where he isn't more active than his opponent, and gets out worked, or he really gets hit in the face for once and goes down. Machida is not unbeatable. When he fights someone who can put pressure, or keep Machida in the clinch its over. Rampage and Vera will have a good shot on beating him. I don't see Wandy winning unless the Wandy of old is back.

EDIT: BTW, I think they won't give him a tough matchup, They might give him the worst of the best. Thiago Silva, or Vera. Im not saying Silva and Vera aren't good, it's just theres tougher competition in the 205 class.
JimiMak
7/10/08 10:33:10PM

Posted by flainthefacerh

its funny how starnes and machida "run". yet i believe one judge scored the fight 30-24 against starnes, yet machida usually wins 30-27? thats odd...

It's not odd. Machida doesn't run. they didn't do the same thing at all. If you're too blind to a) see that b) get in on one of the discussions already exhisting... then I don't know what to tell you. You can't have ever watched Machida fight if you think he runs.
Bowen50
7/10/08 10:37:35PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

my god i pray he fights Wanderlei. knock machida right out of title contention.
prozacnation1978
7/10/08 10:38:07PM
i say against thiago silva, wilson goueveia or
keith jardine

has to be co main event for other pay per view in oct
Bowen50
7/10/08 10:42:44PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

i say against thiago silva, wilson goueveia or
keith jardine

has to be co main event for other pay per view in oct

any of those fights would be great to watch also but man i just wanna see machida on the receiving end of a Wanderlei right rook that lays him out on the ground and stiffens him up like a fat kids penis at the sight of a cupcake.
lordicast
7/10/08 11:20:57PM
You guys need to stop hating on Machida he is the number 1 contender and would beat any of your favorite fighters at 205
Ordep
7/10/08 11:28:28PM
Thiago and Wandy sound like good opponents and they have a good chance at beating him IMO b/c they will chase him without getting frustrated until landing something hard.
Bowen50
7/10/08 11:40:13PM

Posted by lordicast

You guys need to stop hating on Machida he is the number 1 contender and would beat any of your favorite fighters at 205

i respect Machida he's a great fighter but i don't think he can beat Forrest, Wanderlei, or Rampage. Go ahead and say what you will about Forrest, he has proven that he is one of the best at 205. Plus Rampage and Wanderlei would crush Machida.
Mayhem13
7/10/08 11:43:24PM
I bet he gets a middle of the road competition.

some one like Reljic, or Arthur
lordicast
7/10/08 11:45:29PM

Posted by Bowen50

Posted by lordicast

i respect Machida he's a great fighter but i don't think he can beat Forrest, Wanderlei, or Rampage. Go ahead and say what you will about Forrest, he has proven that he is one of the best at 205. Plus Rampage and Wanderlei would crush Machida.

Actually forrest has a chance but, Wanderlei (my favorite fighter) is to slow to hit him, Rampage well never take him down. As far as forrest he cut off the cage pretty damn well against rampage so we will see it will make machida charge forrest more often
finnish_line
7/11/08 12:02:11AM

It should have been Rashad Evans vs. Machida. Eliminate one from contention.

I hope it's Thiago though. He has the killer instinct to get after Machida and overwhelm the great defense.
MMAcca
7/11/08 1:05:09AM

Posted by Bowen50

Wouldn't happen. This would just be another loss to Wand's record.

He is too slow and too much of a wild slugger looking for that perfect punch. Machida cruise to a UD over W.Silva
DiabloFreak56
7/11/08 1:16:34AM

Posted by MMAcca

Posted by Bowen50

He is too slow and too much of a wild slugger looking for that perfect punch. Machida cruise to a UD over W.Silva

come on be realistic no way machida would beat wanderlei...

i like machida i think hed do good in the LHW division vs good competition but not vs wandy or rampage i can see him winning a decision over forrest but thats gonna be hard for him.. i can see him fighting chuck tho and beating chuck. but hopefully he fights thiago silva so we can see if thiago is for real
mikevolz
7/11/08 3:48:15AM

Posted by DiabloFreak56

Posted by MMAcca

Posted by Bowen50

come on be realistic no way machida would beat wanderlei...

i like machida i think hed do good in the LHW division vs good competition but not vs wandy or rampage i can see him winning a decision over forrest but thats gonna be hard for him.. i can see him fighting chuck tho and beating chuck. but hopefully he fights thiago silva so we can see if thiago is for real

how would wanderlei beat machida? how would machida beat chuck?

machida will. mark my words DESTROY wanderlei in a fight, you can quote me on that. Machida's defense and footwork would make wanderlei look like a b-rate fighter. especially against the wanderlei of today. if wanderlei charges in hes gonna catch a straight punch then be stepped around. He wouldn't have a strength advantage either. tito is a strong 205r and look how machida manhandled him.

Chuck liddell is the worst match up for machida in the 205 lbs division. hes a strong puncher, great takedown defense, long limbs, good chin, and most importantly a counter-fighter. you'd have an extremely boring fight with both guys not wanting to engage. Chuck could probably keep machida away with his punches and pull out a decision or possible ko. id favor liddell.

but seriously, wanderlei? and not chuck? wanderlei is a dream opponent for machida, and chuck is a nightmare.
prozacnation1978
7/11/08 8:17:45AM
i like the fact that he is so technical
i think he deserves his shot, but by doing this fight it is now obvious what ufc will do
if chuck wins he gets his title shot
if he loses i think we will see a forrest vs rampage rematch
saemskin
7/11/08 8:25:46AM
So is the most latest and annoying trend around here going to be a repeat of the same stupid arguments every single time Machida is mentioned?

"he runs"
"he's not running"
"yes he is"

BLAH BLAH BLAH

The interview doesn't mention who he may be fighting?
Since Chuck Liddell and Rashad are fighting in September, I dont think it will be either of them. Along that line of thinking we have Brandon Vera and James Irvin both fighting this month, but 3 months in between fights isn't un-reasonable.
More fights announced in between here and there, but I'm pretty sure he wont be fighting Rashad or Chuck.

Besides who you want to see him fight, who do you think they will match him up with since he's running his mouth about who's holding the belt and who the UFC wants to have the belt? I wonder if that will impact him at all?
DaBeatdown
7/11/08 11:59:57AM
lol at corny people who use lol. What are you a teenage girl?
JimiMak
7/11/08 10:04:04PM

Posted by finnish_line

It should have been Rashad Evans vs. Machida. Eliminate one from contention.

I hope it's Thiago though. He has the killer instinct to get after Machida and overwhelm the great defense.

Why do ppl keep bringing Thiago up? There's only a cpl of you cuz he's nowhere near the level to fight any of the guys we've talked about. He needs to get his first top ten guy. Not someone in direct line for a title shot.
JackHammerXXX
7/12/08 5:54:21PM
Man I'm telling you, put him in there with the guy as high ranked as you can(because apparently Machida opponents are hard to come by these days) and see what happens. Im tired of the Lyoto is "a" or "the" no.1 conteder because without wins against guys who fight other top guys, I can't just assume that.
Bringing into it though, the fact that it's been reported that 1.vera,2.griffin,3.silva all turned down a Machida fight. How can you count that against him?!
If he beats either Silvas,I'm waiting for a Shogun fight!,or beats Rampage in a title shot fight then he's due
Red-Dragon
7/13/08 4:11:42PM

Posted by Bowen50

Posted by lordicast

Rampage has a tough time against elusive strikers so I would take Machida on that one. Wanderlei would play right into Machidas hands coz he never stops coming forward and would get picked off. Machidas hardest fight right now would be Forrest.

I hope they give Machida Thiago Silva next.
JimmieDD
7/13/08 8:10:17PM
Rumour is he is fighting against Jardine..
warglory
7/14/08 12:30:52PM
I've heard he is fighting against Thiago Silva actually for the next shot at the title after whoever gets the next shot, but I just saw that on a board somewhere so take it only at face value.
BlueSkiesBurn
7/26/08 9:03:58PM
I'm not going to perpetuate the ""machida runs" "no he doesn't" "yes he does"" argument because it's ridiculous. So, I'll take another approach. He is a counter-fighter. That's what he does, he waits for you to make a mistake and then punishes you for it. Personally, I don't understand why people gripe about fights going to a decision. That means you got 15 minutes of action rather than a 36 second Fedor versus Sylvia beatdown. What Machida does is artwork. I've heard him called a problem, boring and lame but he is none of those things. He is an extremely talented fighter who NOBODY has figured out. I know I'm stretching here because Fedor has fought way tougher competition and many more fights but as of right now Machida is the Fedor of LHW. Unsolvable in the octagon/ring. I agree that Machida would have no problem with the Wandy. Wandy charges like a bull and becomes careless, that's how Vitor knocked his ass out in 44 seconds. Chuck and Machida would be the best match-up albeit it would be like watching Starnes vs Starnes. Stylistically they are both great counter-fighters with the ability to knock out. I do wonder how his statement is gonna impact him, though. Tito pissed off Dana and what did Dana do gave him Machida for his final fight because he knew Machida would dominate Tito for 3 rounds and he could send him out of the UFC having been humiliated for 15 minutes.
bls1919
7/27/08 12:23:41AM
I think that he should get the title shot right now but Joe silva sees otherways. IA fight with Silva will be great though. Machida will end this fight. No judges. TKO 2nd
Pages: [1] 2