Lyoto Machida Deserving of the Next Title Shot?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Lyoto Machida Deserving of the Next Title Shot?
POLL: Does Lyoto Deserve the Next Title Shot?
Yes 53% (24)
No 24% (11)
No, but nobody else does either so yes 9% (4)
Pride sucks 0% (0)
UFC sucks 2% (1)
BJ Penn 11% (5)
ncordless
7/6/08 7:39:59PM
Do you guys think that Lyoto deserves the next title shot?

In his favor... he is undefeated and has shown remarkable skill in the cage. He is definitely one of the most skilled competitors at 205.

Holding him back... It's hard to justify a decision win over Tito Ortiz being enough to make him the number 1 contender. As is widely known his style is not, for the most part, a fan favorite.

ToeZup
7/6/08 8:05:25PM
I believe he deserves a title shot. At least we can say he hasn't faced anyone that can prove that to be wrong. I vote yes.
warglory
7/6/08 8:10:52PM

Posted by ncordless

Do you guys think that Lyoto deserves the next title shot?

In his favor... he is undefeated and has shown remarkable skill in the cage. He is definitely one of the most skilled competitors at 205.

Holding him back... It's hard to justify a decision win over Tito Ortiz being enough to make him the number 1 contender. As is widely known his style is not, for the most part, a fan favorite.

and Sokoudjou who was specifically brought into the UFC because of his reputation as a prodigy, and Nakamura is a well known internationally experienced fighter himself. Machida dominated every one of these guys, along with every other opponent he has faced. He makes fighters look stupid. How is that not championship material?
KYGUY07
7/6/08 8:18:51PM
hes definetely deserving of a title shot
nickcuc547
7/6/08 9:10:40PM
no, only because rampage better be getting his rematch.
kaskd
7/6/08 9:27:17PM
BJ Penn. Answer to all questions mma.
jimmypockets
7/6/08 10:12:09PM
Machida is the only person I think deserves the next title shot. Although it might be the borefest of '08, Griffin vs. Machida is a very interesting matchup. I honestly can't wait for Machida to take the belt away and beat Forrest at his own game. Machida has more striking power an is techinically sound. I think Machida has the patience and skills to frustrate and dethrone the newly crowned champ
Scott_Revels
7/6/08 10:17:48PM
I say Machida next, and then with or without the title, have Forrest face Rampage.
jawbreaker517
7/6/08 10:41:06PM
yes. machida's evasiveness is like no other. he stays active, but he picks his shots, and his ground game is great. But most of all, hes beaten some formidable competition and still has held an umblemished record.
nickcuc547
7/6/08 11:00:18PM
if forrest fights machida i say he wins by the same "octogon control" that he beat rampage with. apparently now moving forward and not connecting on many shots for three out of five rounds wins you titles.
prozacnation1978
7/6/08 11:21:15PM
i hope so but i think he will get screwed, if i were him i would drop weight to 185 and fight silva for the title, with rich coming up in weight now i think machida and wandy should drop weight class
bisping is a whole different fighter now,
but they still have hendo, quarry, cote, maia, leban, there are some challenges for silva,

i thought the whole game was to be champ and stay on top as long as you can,

now you have silva and bj penn going up and down in weight class, if you drop that is one thing but going up. silva i can see but penn is now champ and he already wants to move up in weight, if that is so then have the florian vs huerta a title match for lightweight
Korsakov
7/6/08 11:25:02PM
BJ Penn.
urbman
7/6/08 11:32:19PM
As previously mentioned, he's not the most exciting fighter to watch, but he doesn't make mistakes in there either, and I think he deserves a shot from what he has already accomplished..
theguido
7/7/08 12:05:54AM
Feed Loyoto to Wand
Jason-plata
7/7/08 4:19:36PM
Lyoto has looked great in the past and before his last fight against Tito Ortiz. That fight all he did was runaway from Tito the whole time. There is a big differance between running away and being illusive. He was running. He should have been docked some points on that fight. I think he needs to have another fight to show that he is not going to continue to run from people the entire fight.
taiwnezboi
7/7/08 4:41:23PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

i hope so but i think he will get screwed, if i were him i would drop weight to 185 and fight silva for the title, with rich coming up in weight now i think machida and wandy should drop weight class
bisping is a whole different fighter now,
but they still have hendo, quarry, cote, maia, leban, there are some challenges for silva,

i thought the whole game was to be champ and stay on top as long as you can,

now you have silva and bj penn going up and down in weight class, if you drop that is one thing but going up. silva i can see but penn is now champ and he already wants to move up in weight, if that is so then have the florian vs huerta a title match for lightweight

Machida and Silva train together and won't fight each other. Also, why would Machida move because of Rich Franklin? Machida TKO'd Franklin.
Pookie
7/7/08 4:50:52PM
Bj penn... vs. Machida... at UFC 100 for the LHW belt.
taiwnezboi
7/7/08 5:19:36PM

Posted by Pookie

that needs to happen. BJ Penn needs to go on the McDonald's diet again
Pookie
7/7/08 5:20:24PM

Posted by taiwnezboi

Posted by Pookie

that needs to happen. BJ Penn needs to go on the McDonald's diet again

its true, samoans lose half of there power when they dip under 200 pounds.
fonduktoe
7/7/08 7:06:03PM

Posted by Jason-plata

Lyoto has looked great in the past and before his last fight against Tito Ortiz. That fight all he did was runaway from Tito the whole time. There is a big differance between running away and being illusive. He was running. He should have been docked some points on that fight. I think he needs to have another fight to show that he is not going to continue to run from people the entire fight.

Pookie
7/7/08 7:07:57PM

Posted by Jason-plata

What constitutes being elusive then?
pdanke
7/7/08 10:49:43PM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by Jason-plata

What constitutes being elusive then?

fonduktoe
7/7/08 11:21:10PM
i know fighters don't normally want to get hit but there's a difference between being hard to hit and simply backpedaling for the whole fight
kalib starnes did it against nate quarry and lyoto machida did it against tito ortiz
a fighter shouldn't have to chase down his opponent
fans who love to be bored can cop out and call it strategy or elusivity or whatever else they can dream up to defend this guy but seriously he runs from his opponents and there is no place for that in a title match or in the ufc imo.
5 rounds of machida backpedaling? no thanks
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
7/8/08 12:04:18AM
lyoto beats bonnar on his second fight. total domination. bonnars face was too cut up to continue. every time bonnar threw he was counterd with a good shot.

his 3rd fight he fights rich and wins ala ktfo. rich was on a 13-0 start at LHW to his career at that point.

his 6th fight he fights bj penn and even though bj is outweighed , bj is no joke at any weight. lyoto does his thing .

lyoto beat some mediocre opponents and eventually fought Soku., soku came into the ufc with incredible hype from the arona and lil nog KO's. lyoto dominated with sick sweeps, counter punches , and take down for the eventual arm triangle.

TIto is a good test for any top fighter. machida completely dominated and TOOK TITO DOWN!. if that first round was 20 seconds longer tito was out. He was in the crusifix gettin ****** up. machida also landed that flying knee liver shot. Tito had one offensive landing in that triangle and machida got out.

Machida is the only one deserving of a title shot at the moment. Pretty much the whole LWH division is ducking machida.

I have never seen one of fonuktoes posts before that were not in relation to machida bashing. seriously man, stick with sherdog. Your clearly a troll and you have the picture to match it. All your doing is pwning yourself time after time.

eyeforeigneye
7/8/08 12:05:24AM
realistically id love to see Machida vs Wandy... i think Wanderlei could **** his whole world up.

but if UFC played it right, itll probably be Lyoto Machida vs Thiago Silva so one of them will lose at LHW. i doubt Thiago could take him, but man thatd be ****** sweet if he did..
sammyd1213
7/8/08 12:12:52AM
It takes a pretty "elusive" fighter to make Tito Ortiz look aggressive.
MoJoy
7/8/08 2:07:07AM

Posted by AnDeRsonDaSiLvA

lyoto beats bonnar on his second fight. total domination. bonnars face was too cut up to continue. every time bonnar threw he was counterd with a good shot.

his 3rd fight he fights rich and wins ala ktfo. rich was on a 13-0 start at LHW to his career at that point.

his 6th fight he fights bj penn and even though bj is outweighed , bj is no joke at any weight. lyoto does his thing .

lyoto beat some mediocre opponents and eventually fought Soku., soku came into the ufc with incredible hype from the arona and lil nog KO's. lyoto dominated with sick sweeps, counter punches , and take down for the eventual arm triangle.

TIto is a good test for any top fighter. machida completely dominated and TOOK TITO DOWN!. if that first round was 20 seconds longer tito was out. He was in the crusifix gettin ****** up. machida also landed that flying knee liver shot. Tito had one offensive landing in that triangle and machida got out.

Machida is the only one deserving of a title shot at the moment. Pretty much the whole LWH division is ducking machida.

The Smartest and my most favorite post of the nyte. The fact he did these things impressively early in his career only adds to how great he is. Those are amazing things he has done. More than any of us here the people who really know this stuff are the trainers and fighters. Why are they all running like hell from this guy. Its all over the news regarding MMA that people are ducking Lyoto. Hackleman has said it. Forrest Griffin has said it, and most recently Brandon Vera said it, or in his case was smart to say he would fight him but on proper notice. Great move. That shows Veras intelligence. Like I said, Lyoto Machida is more than doing his part, its only a matter of if were smart enough to realize it. TrueJam.

I have never seen one of fonuktoes posts before that were not in relation to machida bashing. seriously man, stick with sherdog. Your clearly a troll and you have the picture to match it. All your doing is pwning yourself time after time.