Lyoto Machida's camp prepared to defer UFC title opportunity

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Lyoto Machida's camp prepared to defer UFC title opportunity
MMAcca
9/6/08 3:37:06PM
With Friday's unfortunate revelation that UFC light-heavyweight Thiago Silva (13-0 MMA, 4-0 UFC) would be forced to withdraw from a UFC 89 clash with fellow-undefeated-contender Lyoto Machida (13-0 MMA, 5-0 UFC), Machida's camp has been forced to re-evaluate its current position in the UFC's light-heavyweight division.

Machida'a manager Ed Soares recently spoke with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) about the camp's immediate reaction to the news.

"I guess [Silva] hurt his back pretty bad a few weeks ago, and he's been trying to work through it," Soares explained. "And then [Thursday], something during practice -- supposedly today he's not even able to walk. It's horrible. We were really looking forward to that fight. But hopefully he's able to heal up and be OK soon."

Soares said Machida was disappointed to lose the opportunity to face Silva.

LINK
Wolfenstein
9/6/08 4:07:04PM
The UFC should step up and give him a big competitor. He's one of the best in the division and deserves to fight a name fighter, not some bum from outside the organization. The UFC has all the great LHW's if they use an outside guy he's going to be ranked in the 20's or below.
JimiMak
9/6/08 4:20:11PM
Either re arrange the current schedule to put him in a not1 contender match or give him the shot while we wait for Chuck to be ready, he doesn't like to fight that often anyway.
motorboatensob
9/6/08 5:12:54PM
Chuck likes to fight four times a year and at least three if he wins tonight he would be more than ready by Dec 27th. Lyoto plain and simple should have been fighting more top raked guys and he wouldn't have this problem now of finding someone to fight and thinking he is getting screwed.
JimiMak
9/6/08 5:36:18PM

Posted by motorboatensob

Chuck likes to fight four times a year and at least three if he wins tonight he would be more than ready by Dec 27th. Lyoto plain and simple should have been fighting more top raked guys and he wouldn't have this problem now of finding someone to fight and thinking he is getting screwed.

NO, actually Chuck doesn't like to fight more than 3 times a year, he's content w/ two when he has the title. Lyoto's got no problem except that most ppl don't wanna fight him and get beat. He's always fought who they put in front of him, he's got more guys turning hiim down, he turns noone down. The only reason he's looking for someone to fight is cuz the champ wants to wait til december. He's not hurt. He's a company man. Step up and face hte np one contender.
prozacnation1978
9/6/08 5:45:09PM
i say scrape the fight and move in to dec move yoshida vs karo into main card slot in england
Sir_Karl
9/6/08 6:22:06PM
Machida deserves a title shot more than anyone else in the UFC.
He will take the light heavy title from Forrest.
I think thats why he won't get a shot for a little bit.
Like I said though...he deserves it more than any.
jakeiceman
9/6/08 11:12:34PM

Posted by Sir_Karl

Machida deserves a title shot more than anyone else in the UFC.
He will take the light heavy title from Forrest.
I think thats why he won't get a shot for a little bit.
Like I said though...he deserves it more than any.

Soko.....oooooooovvveeeerrrrraaaated.............Tito.............not exactly top caliber......so why does he deserve it more than anyone???
bls1919
9/7/08 12:06:30AM
Sorry MMAcca i dont see how your thread title pertains to the article. Nowhere did i see Machidas camp saying they would back off and let somone else take the shot at Forrest.. Which is what a defer would mean. Looks to me that they are concerned with losing the " title shot" to Chuck. To me thats not defering, it"s wondering( what J. Silva wil do?). I would love to see them nix machida's spot on 89 and replace it with a title shot at 91 co Main event with Lesnar vs. Randy as the main event.
JimiMak
9/7/08 12:38:04AM
NOW can we all agree Machida gets next shot?
Cdellorso
9/7/08 10:02:01AM
NO its Sweet Sugar Titty twister.

LOL
jgtribbett
9/7/08 12:38:06PM

Posted by Wolfenstein

The UFC should step up and give him a big competitor. He's one of the best in the division and deserves to fight a name fighter, not some bum from outside the organization. The UFC has all the great LHW's if they use an outside guy he's going to be ranked in the 20's or below.

i agree.. give him shogun
JimiMak
9/7/08 2:07:13PM

Posted by jgtribbett

Posted by Wolfenstein

i agree.. give him shogun

Shogun won't be ready til dec. He could fight again before that. Arona makes sense to be one of the only top guys outside UFC. He should get Forrest tho.
mk1630
9/7/08 4:06:59PM

Posted by Cdellorso

NO its Sweet Sugar Titty twister.

LOL

Haha and once wasnt even good enough. He had to do it again