How would Lyoto have done

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » How would Lyoto have done
MFOTHER
3/12/09 8:09:33PM
in pride. Let me say first i am a huge machida fan, and i dont agree with people saying he is boring. I am however curious, if he had been in pride with yellowcards being thrown A LOT, would that frustrate him into changing his gameplan/style?

Tein_Lung
3/12/09 8:12:10PM
he would of done fine IMO... he does not turn his back and run away hes smart how he does it... IMO its not a stall its a tactic...
Boo_Radley21
3/12/09 8:33:52PM
Depends who he fought... I think Wanderlei, Rampage, Shogun, even Randleman when he was in Pride would beat Machida.
cmill21
3/12/09 9:07:50PM

Posted by Boo_Radley21

Depends who he fought... I think Wanderlei, Rampage, Shogun, even Randleman when he was in Pride would beat Machida.

Agreed, depending on who he fought he would have been beaten. Remember Pride closed it's doors 3 years ago now, in fight years thats a long ass time
Wolfenstein
3/12/09 9:42:29PM
If you look back at Lyoto's earlier fights in K-1 you'll see Lyoto wasn't as elusive as he is now. That's because the UFC octagon is huge in comparison to the rings in Japan. In Pride Lyoto probably would engage more often.
CwB
3/12/09 9:51:31PM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by Boo_Radley21

Agreed, depending on who he fought he would have been beaten. Remember Pride closed it's doors 3 years ago now, in fight years thats a long ass time

its only been two years. (still along time in fighting)
cmill21
3/12/09 10:09:53PM

Posted by CwB

Posted by cmill21

Posted by Boo_Radley21

its only been two years. (still along time in fighting)

Touche, late 06-now is not 3 years lol.
chickmagnet
3/13/09 12:30:50AM
The Lyoto now would beat Wanderlei, Rampage, Shogun of two years ago.
Pookie
3/13/09 4:07:40AM

Posted by chickmagnet

But the shogun of three years ago would take him.
fullerene
3/13/09 12:08:11PM
Interesting to think about. I believe that Lyoto is best as a counterpuncher and so forcing his opponents to engage would have been in his favor. He's least comfortable attacking aggressively himself (vs. potshotting) so if this was what he was forced to do it would definitely hurt his style.

He probably would have done about the same IMO. I think he matches up well with the aggressive but sometimes sloppy Chute Box fighters. A more passive fighter like Arona or a guy with more range and precise technique like Overeem would be tough matchups, though. He would have been a bigger star in Pride because of his Japanese ancestry and the connection to Inoki. In the odd way that Japanese match their stars that probably would mean fighting Fedor, Sapp and Nog repreatedly.
chickmagnet
3/13/09 5:19:27PM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by chickmagnet

But the shogun of three years ago would take him.

The Lyoto now would destroy Shogun now, easily. As far as the Shogun of three years ago, maybe...it would be a very entertaining fight.
tmas
3/14/09 7:50:50AM
the rules are different its hard to say.
bls1919
3/14/09 7:59:02PM
Prety sure he wouldnt have gotten too many yellowcards. The ring is a lot smaller than the octagonand he wopuld have had to engage more. I think he would have done fine though.