What should be done about Lutter not making weight?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » What should be done about Lutter not making weight?
waylon_o
2/5/07 4:59:58PM
There has to be consequences for Lutter not making weight. A lot of people wanted to see a title fight Saturday. And if he would have won? Who wants to see a champion fight, lose the fight, and still be the champion to fight again another day? He would rightfully so still be the champion, but he would have lost. Do you think Dana would have made someone interim champ or have a mini-tournament? Thoughts on this?
waylon_o
2/5/07 5:01:13PM
I for one don't really care to see Travis Lutter fight at this level again. A lot of good people didn't win TUF 4, and he just slapped them all in the face by not caring enough to make weight IMO.
waylon_o
2/5/07 5:33:03PM
I really want some feedback on this guys...to me this was the most interesting and controversial point of the night.
OB_Juan
2/5/07 5:51:17PM
Nothing needs to happen. He lost. Dana will likely foget he ever existed and he'll be fighting in B-leagues for the rest of his career... unless he somehow gets on Dana's good side again and we might see him in the WEC at 205 but that will surely be a long ways away.
allevil86
2/5/07 5:53:44PM
he was fined 10% of his purse like 5% percent to Silva and 5% to NSAC i think
and he will probably be done for in the ufc and always remembered as throwing away the best oppertunity of his career.
pv3Hpv3p
2/5/07 6:02:55PM
He did get fined 10% of the purse, i think 5% goes to the opponent (Silva) and 5 either went back to Zuffa or to the NSAC...

Other than that, he will probably get blacklisted from fighting in the UFC, which will most likely put a stop to his prizefighting career, but he has a successful BJJ school in Texas, so that shouldn't hurt too bad in the long run for Travis.

IMO, they should make him move up to 205, if he wants to fight, and see how he hangs with the big boys up there.
corpsegrinder
2/5/07 6:03:29PM
he punished himself enough, that was a embarassing fight
jmoooooo
2/5/07 6:04:49PM
first of all, they should remove the ability for him to win the title - done

second, take some money away (10% of his purse) - done

third, stuff him in a sauna riding a bike for an extra 2 hours to make sure he really feels like crap the next day, while hes getting his head kicked in - done

fourth, leave him with the question for the rest of his life "if i had made weight and felt 100%, could i have been the champion, made a ton of money, gained a level of fame, and secured my future" - done

i think hes suffered (and will continue to suffer) enough.

still a boneheaded move.
Chec22
2/5/07 6:44:51PM
My opinion was that he never should have got the shot. Now I didnt get to see the fight, but from what I read he did ALOT better than I thought he was going to. But, as other guys are saying, he has suffered enough.
thelastking
2/5/07 6:55:01PM
He suffered alot already. It sucks that we didnt get to see a title fight but im pretty sure the ufc will still keep him as a fighter because he had a decent showing against silva. Same thing happened with Riggs and he still fought in the ufc
Trapt1nw0nder
2/5/07 6:58:31PM
Lutter has learned his lesson IMO.....he has been embarassed on TV and the whole WWW......he did better than both Franklin,and Leben and he was not even at 100%...i would love to see Lutter up against other top Contenders in the near future....Leben,Swick,Franklin,Mcdonald or even Cote 2...and i think he can beat them all accept for maybe Franklin...and Mcdonald is a close one

Lutter did look very sloppy...he didnt have that serious "this is gonna be a cakewalk" look he normally has....he just had a "Lets just get this over with so i can go hide under a rock" look...
thepitbull00
2/5/07 8:44:31PM
I think Lutter ruined the only shot he will ever get at an A-league title. If that's as seriously as he takes his profession maybe he should consider teaching at his school and fading into obscurity.
hippysmacker
2/5/07 8:53:49PM
I think they should make him be Cro-cops next fight. He;s a natural HVY-to LHVY anyway. That way no weight worries and a punishing headkick makes it square IMO.
waylon_o
2/5/07 9:07:17PM

Posted by thepitbull00

I think Lutter ruined the only shot he will ever get at an A-league title. If that's as seriously as he takes his profession maybe he should consider teaching at his school and fading into obscurity.

I agree with this opinion totally.
madmarck
2/5/07 10:51:27PM
Well Lutter should get enough sense to get a coach for a fight with the #1 or 2 MW in the world. Get someone to help you prepare. From what i saw on UFC all access Lutter had a bunch of his students to help him train. Which doesnt seem like it would eb a good idea. i mean they only know has much has he has taught them.
BrAeDeN91
2/5/07 10:53:19PM
nothing should be done. i enjoed the fight i think he did really well i would like to see a rematch soon i think he could beat a silva.
--Hinch--
2/6/07 4:39:09AM
They could change the damn weight regulations.

People who mess up cutting weight deserve everything they get. Maybe they'll start fighting in their own damn weight class.
ac_gi
2/6/07 5:32:47AM

Posted by --Hinch--

They could change the damn weight regulations.

People who mess up cutting weight deserve everything they get. Maybe they'll start fighting in their own damn weight class.

Good point. Lutter should stop pretending he is a middle weight.
Stickan
2/6/07 5:40:31AM
Aside from all the things already mentioned, he's probably the most hated TUFer around now. Punishment enough.