lost repect for couture....

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » lost repect for couture....
Next Page »
TheHitmanTL
10/7/08 1:28:41AM
wow i just read a post on sherdog and ive see a couple other ones around the web on other forums but anyways people have been saying stuff like theyve lost respect for couture and hes arrogant and he a mma fighter turned movie star...blah blah blah you get the point right?? why the hell would you lose respect for couture i just dont get it.... randy left the UFC for two reasons.... A) they couldnt get fedor to sign....thats all randy wanted... to fight the number one HW in the world which he claims is the only fight that makes sense to him... now you can make the point that he should fight noguiera which i think he should have but he just wanted to fight one last fight against the no. 1 hw in the world which doesnt happen to be noguiera.... and point B) being that he wasnt getting paid enough...i see where randy was going with this and i tottally agree with him.. here you have a man who has won multiple titles in multiple weight classes who sees all these newcomers like lesnar getting paid more than double what he makes but didnt have to work as hard to get where he is...then to top it off he finds out how much they where gonna pay fedor to fight for the UFC...( i think it was in the millions if i am correct.) id be upset if i was randy....think about it you work for a company for 10 years and you make decent pay... then they hire a new guy and pay him double what you make.... i dont know i think id be a little bit upset if i were in his shoes anyways....

WAR COUTURE you are my hero and you always will be
couture by old man beatdown over lesnar

please no bashing just voice ur opinion and tell me how you think of it...
CantAndleDaRiddum
10/7/08 1:33:39AM
i think randy left bc of $

sure nog is worthy, but does he bring in ppv buys....no? thats y randy didnt wanna fight him

he wants fedor to make $ & when he couldnt get it, what did he do?

comeback to ufc...not to fight the the guy who took his place as champ, but to a huge ppv seller in brock lesnar
Wolfenstein
10/7/08 1:40:38AM
I'm not going to lose repect for anyone that tries to make the most money they can at their living. Randy's at the end of his career and he wants to make some money and leave his mark on MMA as a legend. I don't see anything wrong with that. I think the Lesnar match is kind of odd but it's another great fight for him and while he won't be an underdog, there ar a lot of people out there that don't think he has a chance.
Biggz
10/7/08 1:44:05AM
people have been saying that ppv stuff. i know the fighters want to be popular and draw lots of buys/people, but if there are more ppv numbers then do the two fighters get a bonus or something. because everyone is saying Randy would rather fight Lesnar becuase he would bring more draws and thats why he didn't want to fight Nog, because the draw would not be as much. i don't know why a fighter would really care, he is getting paid wether they sell 1 or 10 million, unless they get some sort of bonus?
As far as Coutures respect goes, i think everyone still respects him AS A FIGHTER, for his skill and he he did/ has done to the sport, but i sadly have to agree that his attitude seem much different, and not in a good way.
MALICE
10/7/08 1:59:03AM
I did lose respect for Randy. It really bugs me when contracts are not honored. Any contract. And pro athletes are the worst. Randy had a contract, he should have finished it.

The whole time saying it was not about the money, yet he demanded more money.

The whole time accusing the UFC of mistreating him and the other fighters.

Accusing the UFC of not giving him his signing bonus of $500,000. Underpayed Which the UFC showed proof of, and I never remember hearing about it afterwards. Once again a money issue.

The past year Randy showed that he is human just like everyone else. He has his good qualities and his bad qualities. He is still a great fighter, for that I respect him. But IMO, he started to put himself above the sport, and that is why I lost some respect for him.
CantAndleDaRiddum
10/7/08 3:27:50AM

Posted by Biggz

people have been saying that ppv stuff. i know the fighters want to be popular and draw lots of buys/people, but if there are more ppv numbers then do the two fighters get a bonus or something. because everyone is saying Randy would rather fight Lesnar becuase he would bring more draws and thats why he didn't want to fight Nog, because the draw would not be as much. i don't know why a fighter would really care, he is getting paid wether they sell 1 or 10 million, unless they get some sort of bonus?
As far as Coutures respect goes, i think everyone still respects him AS A FIGHTER, for his skill and he he did/ has done to the sport, but i sadly have to agree that his attitude seem much different, and not in a good way.

ive always heard some fighters have contracts that give them a certain amount based on ppv #s but i honestly dont have anything to back that up

as for respecting him as a fighter, i have the utmost respect for him

Posted by xxMALICExx

It really bugs me when contracts are not honored. Any contract. And pro athletes are the worst. Randy had a contract, he should have finished it.

i def have no respect for him from a business point of view, but if other fighter's shit got thrown out in the open like randys, i'd prolly lose respect for them as well

but honestly, when i think of randy & the ufc & all the bs they both went through, im always reminded of those bonuses he said he never got, & then 1 day later dana had them on the ufc website w/ his signature on them.....something about all that just never sat well w/ me

but im also a T.O. fan (prolly bc he is playing in Dallas.....actually def bc he's playing in Dallas) so who am i to judge, right?

Naturaldisaster
10/7/08 3:46:53AM
I lost respect for randy because randy was being greedy. I read an article where he wanted 3 million to fight fedor or somethin like that. that is greedy. no one needs to make that much. and i also lost respect because instead of being a true champion and fullfilling his duties, he walked away. I felt he was disrespecting his fans and his fellow fighters by doin that. But he's back now. everything is settled so Im gaining my respect for him back.
Branwest
10/7/08 9:17:29AM
When you give your heart and soul to an organization, you deserve respect. I would've left too. He's toward the end of his career, most fighters couldn't even fight at his age, and they weren't paying him NEAR enough. That's a respect issue as much as it is a money issue. You're going to pay Lesnar more than me????!!?? I would be pis#ed as well.
And how could you critisize him for making a movie?? That's a business move as well as a PR move. He can't fight forever....And who would turn down a movie anyways? People just want something to bitc# about.
I have mucho respect for Randy and always will. I hope he beats Lesnar, if the fight happens.....And then I hope he gets the fight we all want, and although I would definately have Fedor as the heavy favorite, I could never completely count-out Randy. He has suprised us all time and time again.
jomatty
10/7/08 9:42:56AM
all the fighters need to come to terms with the fact that they dont get paid to fight well they get paid to sell tickets and make money for the company. its a business and may not be right but i think it is fair. if the ufc was a non profit org that was invented to pay the best fighters the most money that would be one thing but it is not, it is a business
postman
10/7/08 11:10:37AM
Boring!
mkiv9secsupra
10/7/08 11:26:06AM

Posted by Naturaldisaster

I lost respect for randy because randy was being greedy. I read an article where he wanted 3 million to fight fedor or somethin like that. that is greedy. no one needs to make that much. .

im assuming you havent seen payouts for boxers?

for UFC 74 the UFC sold approx 520,000 PPVs. At $40 a piece that comes out to $20,800,000. The fighters' payouts totaled $755,000.....now im no genious, but im farely sure it doesnt cost $19,000,000 to run that show...If anyone in the UFC is greedy its going to be the people running it and not the fighters.....

Kos got paid 10,000 to fight in a CO-MAIN EVENT!!! WTF? i think he is boring but there is no reason to screw these guys in the arse like they do. Randy Couture is one of the biggest draws the UFC has had and have banked a whole lot on him and his success. The least they could do is show some gratitude and pay him back. For each PPV he has been in he has been responsible for probly about 3-4 million in sales. For them to pay him 250k is rediculous
sonicsmokesweed
10/7/08 11:28:52AM
i had a dream i was chilling with forrest girfffin and watching ufc videos
pv3Hpv3p
10/7/08 11:29:48AM
Weird... The guy wants to make money... The nerve of some people
mkiv9secsupra
10/7/08 11:33:46AM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Seriously, he wants money so his family can be set for life......what selfishness
Nitrus
10/7/08 12:03:35PM
I didn't lost my respect from him when he try to get some money in this fight with Fedor, but I lost my respect for randy when he denied to fight with NOgueira, saying that he only want to face the best..

Right, Fedor is the best, but Nogueira is better than Couture, he should fight who is better than him, and Nogueira is, if not, at least he deserve some respect.

I was happy when he back to UFC, and i really hope he fights Nogueira, when he do that, Couture will earn my respect again.

Oblivious, my respect isn't something to care, but a lot of guys think like me, especially brazilians.
loonytnt
10/7/08 12:49:40PM
i think he may have lost repect with the HW of the world because he only wants to fight fedor..randy wanted more money is why he left imo,he has been doing movies but hey you cant blame him for that. randy is great but i think the time off is going to hurt him in this next fight
hodge
10/7/08 2:06:28PM
I lose respect in him when i see him in crappy movies like the scorpian king i mean come on Randy
CantAndleDaRiddum
10/7/08 2:14:28PM
this thread remind me of this thread

u know, since the word respect gets thrown around so much on this site
Naturaldisaster
10/7/08 3:05:08PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by Naturaldisaster

I lost respect for randy because randy was being greedy. I read an article where he wanted 3 million to fight fedor or somethin like that. that is greedy. no one needs to make that much. .

im assuming you havent seen payouts for boxers?

for UFC 74 the UFC sold approx 520,000 PPVs. At $40 a piece that comes out to $20,800,000. The fighters' payouts totaled $755,000.....now im no genious, but im farely sure it doesnt cost $19,000,000 to run that show...If anyone in the UFC is greedy its going to be the people running it and not the fighters.....

Kos got paid 10,000 to fight in a CO-MAIN EVENT!!! WTF? i think he is boring but there is no reason to screw these guys in the arse like they do. Randy Couture is one of the biggest draws the UFC has had and have banked a whole lot on him and his success. The least they could do is show some gratitude and pay him back. For each PPV he has been in he has been responsible for probly about 3-4 million in sales. For them to pay him 250k is rediculous

on no i've seen what boxers get paid. NOBODY needs to get paid 20 somethin million to fight. but after randy gets his money for fighting, plus money for winning, plus (fotn, submission of the night, or KO of the night), plus his money from sponsors, randy is making WELL over a million a fight.
backalley101
10/7/08 3:38:27PM
Oh no some guys on the playground have no respect .what will he do now ?
WrestlersAssassin
10/7/08 3:55:32PM
Left because he "didnt get enough money" than watches the Fedor vs Tim fight and afterwords says that Fedor vs Randy will finally happen, then he comes back when Andrei and Mirko leave and Mir and Nog are tied up with TUF and he gets to fight for his so called belt that should have been stripped from him against an untested WWE star. I hate myself for saying this but I dont think Randy has a snowballs chance, both are wrestlers and Brock is better at it, Randy isnt Mir, Randy isnt gonna pull off a sub or get Brock on his back being the weaker man. Brock wins Randy retires oh well.
JimiMak
10/7/08 5:37:26PM
There are ppl that think Randy left over money???? Is that why Fedor didn't sign too??? (he even said they offered him the most) This has never been a money issue. If Randy ever wanted to fight again he had to eat his crow.
jgtribbett
10/7/08 6:23:24PM
well, this is his lively hood. I haven't lost respect for couture, nor will I... he and every other big dog are branching out and trying to make money. (more money) I dont see anything wrong with him handling himself like a businessman. I agree with ortiz... their names (big fighter's names) are a business themselves. Slowly but surely fighters will make more money. I dont think anyone should make 18 million per fight.. but ya know they should atleaste get paid like pro athletes in any other big time sport. All the old dogs need to make a union.. seriously.
tdietel01
10/7/08 8:02:46PM
maybe fighters should be happy making more in a 15-25 min max fight than we do in a year! give or take. i would fight for 5,000!?!? lets not all forget these "starving fighters" also get sponsor money, and im sure alot of it. Bottom line bout randy is...... He signed a contract and he didnt honor it.
StorminYourman
10/7/08 8:46:48PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

nice
prozacnation1978
10/7/08 10:16:46PM
i never did lose respect for randy i lost respect for tito ortiz though
Amigop
10/7/08 10:32:49PM
I lost respect for him because he wouldnt fight nog. plain and simple.
RNC
10/7/08 11:13:32PM
My opinion is, Randy first retired after his loss to Chuck because he felt that he was getting too old and he could never beat this guy to be the champ, overall destroying, what he thought at that time, his possibility of being successful in the UFC. Then, he goes home and decides he doesn't want to go out on a loss, so he starts training. Randy comes back as a heavy weight, only to recieve an imediate title shot at Tim Sylvia. He beats Tim for the belt, defends the belt verifying the question of his champ status, and BOOM, thats when things get fishy. Randy is suddenly too good to fight anyone else but Fedor, so he leaves. Questionable? Without a doubt. Randy isn't that stupid. He knows that he has a select amount of fights left in him and that if he keeps fighting regular UFC contenders he gains nothing, while facing the high possibility he could eventually lose. This is why Randy goes out and requests a fight he knows won't happen so he can put on this whole act he isn't being treated right, giving him what he things some justified reason to leave. Then, he drags on legal problems with the UFC for as long as possible, talking about it every five seconds so he never actually stops being associated with the UFC. Meanwhile, he is venturing into the hollywood industry, with tv show apperances and movies and what not. Basically, its clear. Randy knew he was about done, did the smart thing and came back on top. Then he left, and only agreed to fight the one superfight left out there for him, and to be hoenst, if the UFC made that happen, Randy probably wouldn't have done it if the price wasn't right. Randy is in it for the money. Thats why kept complaining about 1.3 million wasn't enough and that he deserved 10 million. I can't blame him for coming back and leaving on top, but he knew what he was going to do from the start and should've worked out the appropriate 2 fight contract with the UFC so none of this would've happened. All in all, Randy wants money, and nothing but it.
MALICE
10/8/08 10:07:46PM

Posted by RNC
All in all, Randy wants money, and nothing but it.

I'm sorry but the majority of most posts on this thread are wrong. Randy clearly stated that "It's not about the money"
RNC
10/9/08 12:02:20AM

Posted by xxMALICExx

Posted by RNC
All in all, Randy wants money, and nothing but it.

I'm sorry but the majority of most posts on this thread are wrong. Randy clearly stated that "It's not about the money"

I don't care about the majority of the posts, nor is my opinion affected by any of them. Just because Randy stated that its not about the money doesn't mean its true. Randy is a person, and people lie. Yes, Randy lied. It IS all about the money. Why do you think in almost every interview he complains that he's not making enough? Almost everytime there's a video camera on him he's ranting about how boxers make 20 million while he's not even getting 5% of the 50 mil the UFC took in in PPV sales, its not fair this, 1.3 million isn't enough that.

Randy is a business man. He knew he didn't have much fight left in him so he seized the opportunity. He came back to get an immediate shot at the title, win a decision victory for the belt, and quickly defend it. Then he made up an excuse so he could leave on top.

Randy claims that the only person left for him to fight is Fedor. Now, lets take a look at this. Randy's late heavyweight reign consists of one win over Tim Sylvia and one win over Gabriel Gonzaga. Hardly the "I'm too good for anyone but Fedor" resume. He couldn't even win the rubbermatch with Liddell down at 205. And he is supposidly too superior to fight anyone except Fedor? Be reasonable here.

The truth of it is, Randy knew if he kept fighting regular contenders at HW he would eventually lose, and lose to someone with no real status. For this reason, he demanded a fight he knew would be almost impossible to make happen, used it as an excuse, and walked out.

So once again, YES, Randy is all about the money. If the Scorpion King 2 had made some real figures instead of going straight to DVD, he wouldn't have this Brock fight up in the air. There is no doubt about it.
Pages: [1] 2