I have lost all my faith in MMA...

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » I have lost all my faith in MMA...
warglory
4/22/07 12:58:33AM
No, this doesn't mean I don't like MMA anymore, by any means, but merely a year ago, there were constants in our world of fighting. There were certain fighters that people never bet against because they were born to win....until 2007 rolled around. I don't even want to list all the upsets, but when Cro Cop's match rolled up, I was honestly "EXPECTING" Gonzaga to win (even though I had Cro Cop winning it on this site)!

I know alot of people here love mad surprises, but man, don't we as faithful fans deserve just a tad bit of stability? I would like to be able to turn to an uneducated fool and be like "watch this guy, he is going to own him!" After tonight though, I wouldn't tell that to anyone, because even I don't have faith in any fighter anymore!

*sigh*

Oh well...this is a new state in MMA I have concluded. The dominant heirarchy of this sport is officially no more, organizations no longer can claim they are the best, and individual fighters are no longer unbeatable (especially to relatively unknowns).

Also, before my rant is over, I just want to say that CroCop seemed like an arogant ass coming into this fight. Not training in the cage? What is wrong with you? You were owned in this match, on the ground, and in the stnad up dept. Either quit, or get your act together man, cause UFC ain't no wading pool!
Kastro
4/22/07 1:07:28AM
I disagree with you on the cage part, because Mirko's main focus is the stand-up and has nothing to do with the cage.. just my opinion of course.

However I do agree with you that MMA is too unpredictable. Back when I first started watching Pride people like Mirko, Fedor, Wanderlei, Shogun all looked unstoppable and I would have bet my life that they would win any given fight.

MMA is the most unpredictable sport IMO, and a very good sport to wager money on (what were the odds against Serra, Couture, Gonzaga??).. The reason I think all these upsets are happening is because the sport is evoloving very fast, lots of people want to get into it, and more fighters are aiming to be well-rounded as opposed to sticking in one element ie: Kickboxing, Wrestling, etc...

I think in the future the skill level of all these fighters is going to be really high and really close to another and the UFC belts will be getting passed around more times then a joint in Amsterdam, the sport is changing indeed.. thoughts?
shackle
4/22/07 1:14:14AM
Counldn't of said it better.

I was gonna post the same thing I agree 100%.

So many fighters are getting good, and game plans are working out well.

It's like a chess match, and much more complex then any other sport imo. One mistake can lose the fight for you cause they are pretty much fighting bare knuckle.

Cro cop should surely be cage training though. I think thats a huge mistake on his part. The cage doesn't move quite like the ropes.

Posted by Kastro

I disagree with you on the cage part, because Mirko's main focus is the stand-up and has nothing to do with the cage.. just my opinion of course.

However I do agree with you that MMA is too unpredictable. Back when I first started watching Pride people like Mirko, Fedor, Wanderlei, Shogun all looked unstoppable and I would have bet my life that they would win any given fight.

MMA is the most unpredictable sport IMO, and a very good sport to wager money on (what were the odds against Serra, Couture, Gonzaga??).. The reason I think all these upsets are happening is because the sport is evoloving very fast, lots of people want to get into it, and more fighters are aiming to be well-rounded as opposed to sticking in one element ie: Kickboxing, Wrestling, etc...

I think in the future the skill level of all these fighters is going to be really high and really close to another and the UFC belts will be getting passed around more times then a joint in Amsterdam, the sport is changing indeed.. thoughts?

BadSanta
4/22/07 1:35:52AM

Posted by shackle

Counldn't of said it better.

I was gonna post the same thing I agree 100%.

So many fighters are getting good, and game plans are working out well.

It's like a chess match, and much more complex then any other sport imo. One mistake can lose the fight for you cause they are pretty much fighting bare knuckle.

Cro cop should surely be cage training though. I think thats a huge mistake on his part. The cage doesn't move quite like the ropes.

Posted by Kastro

...and CroCop needs to do alot more than just train in an Octagon. He must improve his ground game or else every fighter is just going to pin him down and throw elbows. Not good mileage on his body if he wants a long career.
loller90278
4/22/07 1:39:44AM
theres one constant in a world of variables

fedor emeliananko

i think i stated in a another thread that i thought gonzaga was ognna win, poor cc
warglory
4/22/07 1:42:22AM
Fedor will lose his next match, I am saying it right here right now (unless they put him up against an obvious can).
Brick
4/22/07 1:44:11AM
Couldn't "have" said it better. ("of"...der...) But anyway, Gonzaga proved why we love this sport. No one is safe, no one is king. Stability? Snore! That's why boxing is toast.
warglory
4/22/07 1:45:35AM

Posted by Kastro

I agree with everything you say except for the cage. The man is in a completely different environment in the UFC, and until he trains with someone whose sole purpose is to pick him up and throw him into a cage, or work on his pivoting skills while on the ground, he will never be comfortable in that cage, simple as that.
Rush
4/22/07 6:47:33PM
I disagree about the cage. Cro Cop losing had nothign to do with the cage.

To me he just didn't look like himself that night. Gonzaga came out like he had nothing to lose and it worked.
JimiMak
4/22/07 7:00:00PM
Why are ppl begging for "stability"? 1st off this isn't predetermined pro wrestling where a guy wins cuz everyone wants him to. 2nd, if you've been watching more than a few years you'd see, this happens all the time. Guys look unstoppable for so long and then they don't -- doesn't matter if it's "them getting exposed" or "the sport is evolving past them" or whatever -- Every five years or so the list of top guys looks totally different. We may start seeing, as this sport gets older, more guys that can be like matt hughes and have over 40 fights and still be headlining (and fighting all top comp for almost a decade). But this is a really demanding sport, your body can only hold up so well. Some do better than others. Every fighter that becomes somebody was a nobody that beat someone that made fans look at him differently. Some guys, like Vovchanchyn, can rule for a good bit then fall real fast. Some hang around too long, like Vitor. Very few can be Chuck or Randy or Wandy or Hughes.

I get more and more excited the more I realize that, no matter how much I know about this sport, even the most "boring" looking cards can have huge surprises. I don't want to miss any fights, even ones that I don't think look interesting.
Ydoc
4/22/07 7:19:50PM
I'm with Jimi... if it was always the same 10 guys dominating according to their rank it'd be boring, but instead we get a whole new cast of contenders and possibilities with every upset. If you want stability why not start rooting for a new guy who has shown the ability to move up in rank? And on the flip side why does a loss make you unable to keep cheering for your favorite fighter? If your a real fan you'd stick with him come hell or high water. Everyone should be able to appreciate what's going on this year, we have front row seats for the changing of the guard. Enjoy it while it lasts.
Rush
4/22/07 7:25:20PM
I think the instability is great. It makes the fight that much more exciting
MMA
4/22/07 8:41:59PM
You are not a true MMA fan if you don't like these upsets. The upsets are what makes the sport so damn interesting.

If I wanted to watch predictable, scripted fights, I would be watching the WWE.
Savy
4/22/07 10:17:07PM
I posted yesterday claiming that Mirko would walk right through Gonzaga; that Gonzaga was out of his league fighting crocop. That Mirko would finish him quicker than Sanchez and it would be a HL reel ending. Now I look like moron.
I broke the cardinal rule: never to speak in absolutes.
I believe the has sport evolved. There are so many great fighters now, and no one individual is head and shoulders above the rest (not even fedor, and I am a fedor "nuthugger.")
We fans know a mis-match when we see one. And we have seen enough of them.
We deserve better, so does the sport.
When two professional MMartists' face off, either man can win. The one who executes his gameplan will win. Just like football or tennis or basketball or whatever sport you like.
On a given night, the Milwuakee Bucks may defeat the Dallas Mavericks if they are able to execute their gameplan. Are the Bucks a better team than the Mavs? No way. Do we have to label it an "upset" because the Bucks were better that night? I don't think we should. Its not fair to say that Dan "upset" Wandy. Dan was the better fighter that night.
As long as we're watching the best fighters battle eachother, we will keep seeing "upsets."
When I see lil' Nog and Arona go down like that, when I see Tim falling to Randy, when I see Matt beating up GSP, Gomi losing to Nick, and what happened last night.....these things reinforce my faith in MMA. Its a testament to the quality and quantity of pro mixed martial artists.
warglory
4/23/07 3:25:17PM
Sure there are always upsets in this sport, and yes, have fluctuation is bound to happen in a volatile sport such as MMA. However, never in MMA history (that I can recall), has there been so many dramatic upsets in such a short amount of time. So when fighters, who have lots of loyal fans (its just bound to happen, every sport has devoted fans to certain individuals and teams), suddenly get brutally beaten in an upset, you can't help by being a little shaken up (GSP and CroCop for me). The same happens when your favorite all of a sudden dethrones a not so popular fighter (Couture for me). So yes, change is good, but that doesn't mean that I won't get emotional when something unexpected happens to one of my favorites, especially when it happens in a 3 month period!