From loss to headliner: Bad Idea ???

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » From loss to headliner: Bad Idea ???
theguido
6/4/08 1:02:51PM
The UFC is doing it with Grove, and they were about to with Lesnar untill Coleman got hurt. In your opinion is this something that you agree with?
The_Italian_Stallion
6/4/08 1:09:31PM
I really don't care what the fighter's previous fight is as long as the fight will be good.

The Lesnar fight would have been good if it happened but I really don't think the Grove/Tanner fight is going to be good at all.
theguido
6/4/08 1:17:53PM
Totally agree about the tanner grove match compared to the other tuf finally it's pretty weak
CantAndleDaRiddum
6/4/08 1:21:25PM
wandy also headlined a fight after his pride loss to dan

dan headlined w/ silva after his loss to quinton

liddell headlined 76 after his loss to quinton & headlined 79 after his loss to jardine

if the fighter makes good fights then i see nothing wrong w/ it
Bowen50
6/4/08 1:31:20PM
postman
6/4/08 5:27:59PM

Posted by CantAndleDaRiddum

liddell headlined 76 after his loss to quinton & headlined 79 after his loss to jardine

You win
p_unit23
6/4/08 6:15:56PM

Posted by CantAndleDaRiddum

So true man.
89vision
6/4/08 7:20:07PM
im just glad hughes is overlooking alves, that much sweeter when hes unconscious this saturday
wolfman
6/4/08 7:33:29PM

Posted by 89vision

im just glad hughes is overlooking alves, that much sweeter when hes unconscious this saturday

I don't doubt you, but where did you read or hear that Hughes was overlooking Alves, what gave you that impression?
89vision
6/4/08 7:49:49PM

Posted by wolfman

Posted by 89vision

I don't doubt you, but where did you read or hear that Hughes was overlooking Alves, what gave you that impression?

its just that hes already looking at the serra fight, suppose i dont have proof of him overlooking alves but thats dangerous thinking and usually gets people L's on there record
Ben_Hutch
6/4/08 7:51:20PM

Posted by wolfman

Posted by 89vision

I reckon Hughes is overlooking Alves, i don't think Hughes ever stated that he's overlooking Alves but he has said a number of times that he wants Serra, and win or lose, he will get Serra next. This fight is pointless for Hughes, i just wonder if his head will be in the right place.

WAR AVLES!!!!!
wolfman
6/4/08 8:13:47PM

Posted by 89vision

Posted by wolfman

Posted by 89vision

its just that hes already looking at the serra fight, suppose i dont have proof of him overlooking alves but thats dangerous thinking and usually gets people L's on there record

Yeah, I definitely see what you mean. It's also been in the back of my mind that he may be overlooking Alves. I've been going back and forth on this for awhile, Alves by TKO is VERY possible, but I'm thinking Hughes will go back to his bread and butter and use a smart game plan and keep this fight on the ground.

Hughes by UD if he uses a smart game plan. Also, Alves seemed a little tentative against Karo(until he landed that beautiful knee) and I think he will be tentative again with leg kicks(he'll be worrying about take downs all night) and that will affect his game plan greatly. Just my two cents, as I also know Alves has a great shot at winning this fight.
wolfman
6/4/08 8:21:56PM

Posted by Ben_Hutch

Posted by wolfman

Posted by 89vision

I reckon Hughes is overlooking Alves, i don't think Hughes ever stated that he's overlooking Alves but he has said a number of times that he wants Serra, and win or lose, he will get Serra next. This fight is pointless for Hughes, i just wonder if his head will be in the right place.

WAR AVLES!!!!!

I personally think this fight is more pointless for Alves. Pointless as in it doesn't make sense for him to be fighting Hughes. Don't get me wrong, Hughes is one of the greatest welterweights in the world, but he is coming off a loss and Alves is coming off a HUGE win. A win that has him in line for a title shot, Hughes on the other hand should be fighting his way back up. Therefore, this is a really risky fight for Alves. Alves has a tough fight ahead of him and if he loses he will more than likely fall out of title contention. Sadly, I see that happening. Yet, in another way it is not pointless for Alves, because he does have a lot to lose. Sorry, if I confused anyone....I think I just confused myself.
89vision
6/4/08 8:58:27PM

Posted by wolfman

Posted by 89vision

Posted by wolfman

Posted by 89vision

Yeah, I definitely see what you mean. It's also been in the back of my mind that he may be overlooking Alves. I've been going back and forth on this for awhile, Alves by TKO is VERY possible, but I'm thinking Hughes will go back to his bread and butter and use a smart game plan and keep this fight on the ground.

Hughes by UD if he uses a smart game plan. Also, Alves seemed a little tentative against Karo(until he landed that beautiful knee) and I think he will be tentative again with leg kicks(he'll be worrying about take downs all night) and that will affect his game plan greatly. Just my two cents, as I also know Alves has a great shot at winning this fight.

its my opinion he was so tentative in the 1st round only to get a feel for karo's style, did you see how explosive he was in the 2nd round? he finished it in under a minute, and its my honest opinion that karo is better than hughes (for some reason theyve never fought, probably since hughes and dana are such good buddies)

thiago is going to surprise a lot of people this weekend, i just think alves is too much for hughes, not because hughes is over the hill, just stylistically
jae_1833
6/4/08 9:21:37PM
After a lot of hard thinking I just can't get behind Alves....I still have too many memories of the dominant Matt Hughes. I think Alves needs to spend a year training 70% ground game and only 30% striking to really become elite. Thiago is really young though so he has plenty of time...I just think that Matt will quit trying to get a standing KO and play it safe on this one. Matt by TKO (GNP) round 2....unfortunately.