losing weight (in 50's)

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » losing weight (in 50's)
FutureLWchamp
2/17/07 11:07:30AM
this is for my mom, she wants to lose some weight. shes in her 50's and shes had a heart attack so she cant excercise too much. im lookin for some tips to give her on how to eat and how much to walk or wutever else she can do. its mostly belly fat she wants to lose.
richieb19
2/17/07 11:59:42AM
I'm not much of an expert on nutrition, so I won't bother commenting in that area, but if she is still recovering and has to take it easy, walking (or speed walking) is her best bet for the time being. When she recovers more she can increase speed if she so choses.
FutureLWchamp
2/17/07 9:50:03PM
shes been fully recovered for over a year now
Svartorm
2/18/07 4:30:30AM
Walking and stretching will help out a bit. Mainly at that age its about diet. My father dropped about 40lbs in his early 50's by eating oatmeal for breakfast, salad for lunch, and then a normal sized dinner. Cutting out junk food is big as well. Also, not sure if shes a coffee or tea drinker, but that can put pounds on as well if she has it with cream and sugar. Alcohol is also packed with empty calories.
FutureLWchamp
2/18/07 12:16:33PM
shes not a coffee or tea drinker but she does drink alot of coke.
richieb19
2/18/07 1:22:40PM

Posted by FutureLWchamp

shes not a coffee or tea drinker but she does drink alot of coke.

Get her to switch to a diet cola of her chosing, theyre mostly all 0 calories, and you'll be surprized at the difference it will make.
Svartorm
2/18/07 5:48:22PM
Yup, soda is a big one as well. What I found works, as I love soda, is to make sure I drink a bottle of water between sodas. It cuts your soda intake by half.
FutureLWchamp
2/19/07 8:36:13AM
do u think flavored water between sodas is alright?
richieb19
2/19/07 9:44:16AM

Posted by FutureLWchamp

Flavored water I'm not quite sure about, but I know has some calories... like I said before switching to a diet cola would make alot of difference. The average soda has around 150 calories, and it's all sugar basically, so if you don't burn it off it just adds on. The average diet cola has 0 calories, so aside from drinking to much and having an overload of aspertame, its a much better bet. I personally suggest diet dr.pepper.
Svartorm
2/20/07 12:07:36AM
I don't think flavored water has calories. It has the same sweetener as diet soda after all, so one would figure its also calorie free. I'll look at a bottle in the fridge next time I'm down stairs and get back to you.
loller90278
2/20/07 2:34:12PM
cut coke out of her diet

a good way of doing this is by squeezing lime into a bottle of water everytime she drinks water.. after about 2 weeks of doin this coke will taste bad and not appealing
madmarck
2/20/07 4:03:07PM

Posted by FutureLWchamp

Water in General is much better. Soda is packed full of sugar that often goes unused. When this happens the unused sugar is turned into fat.
The flavoured water would be a great replacement for Soda.

For exercise Try some mild swimming. This is great for 2 reasons. You can train with out over exheritng yourself. And Life guards are always trained to handle heart attacks just incase she relaspes so this is a good place to exercise.
FutureLWchamp
2/20/07 4:49:44PM
aight, thanks. this is all great info
hippysmacker
2/23/07 9:08:00PM
Lean proteins the size of her fist at most , and a raw fruit or vegetable 4 times a day .Starting when she wakes, and 3 and a half hours apart. Stopping 4 hours before bed.Nothing but water to drink. Water aerobics. Most decent family health clubs have a water aerobics program. You weigh one tenth your body weight in water, theres very little stress on the joints and tendons. It's low impact and burns enough calories for her someone her age. I was a personal trainer, and put have put many seniors on this prgram. It works if she sticks to it. Make sure she consults her doctor anyway before starting ,as I don't know the specifics of her condition.
ac_gi
2/24/07 8:34:39AM
She has to change her diet. There are many diets out there, and most are good if followed properly. It all comes down to calorie restriction.

Another thing that would help is to join a Yoga class, meet some friends with the same goals. Mental support is very crucial.
Thalzaar
2/28/07 12:44:01AM
Not sure if you're still reading or following this thread, but I just checked the flavored water (I drink Fruit2O quite often) and it has 0 sugar and 0 calories and tastes great!
FutureLWchamp
2/28/07 7:57:49AM
im still followin as long as theres new posts. n thx 4 the info everyone.