Losing 1 point via Referee

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Losing 1 point via Referee
Kpro
2/20/08 1:25:51AM
I'm too lazy to do any research, but I am curious.

Does anyone know if as in boxing, when the referee takes a point away, it is still at the judge's discretion if they also feel the point should be taken away?

In MMA are they required to take the point away at the judges discretion, or can they disagree and keep it a 10-9 round instead of 9-9 or 10-8.

Thanks in advance if anyone knows.
hotrodttt
2/20/08 1:29:53AM
Yeah I think it's based on weather the judges think the point should be taken away because so many judges have so many different decisions to a fight
richieb19
2/20/08 2:18:56AM
Great question, I'm not 100% certain. I believe that the judges usually follow the referee's discretion when taking away points due to violation, but they can however chose to make their own decisions based on what they see. This is the way it's done in judo anyways.
ChokeUout
2/20/08 6:06:51AM
I dunno. Maybe I'm wrong, but I've never seen the judges go against the ref's ruling in an MMA fight before. I'm pretty sure it's an unspoken rule at the very least that they follow the ref's discretion.
CornishMMA
2/20/08 7:08:34AM

Posted by ChokeUout

I dunno. Maybe I'm wrong, but I've never seen the judges go against the ref's ruling in an MMA fight before. I'm pretty sure it's an unspoken rule at the very least that they follow the ref's discretion.

Yeah me too

The Tito Rashad fight is a good example of all the judges taking the point, i cant think of anytime the scores have been read out and a judge hasnt taken a point, but maybe it could have happened when the fight didnt go to the judges

But im 99% sure the judges do what the ref says in regards to fouls
fullerene
2/20/08 8:08:40AM
Good question. The answer is that the judges must deduct the points.

In boxing or MMA that means that the penalized fighter now has 9 points to work with in the round. If a judge didn't agree with the call, s/he might be tempted to give a close round to the other fighter making the round 9-9 instead of 10-8 in favor of the non-penalized fighter, but the point deduction is there either way.

Here's a bit of the wording from the Nevada State AC (the question isn't addressed directly, but you can get the jist from statements like this):

1. If an unarmed combatant fouls his opponent during a contest or exhibition or commits any other infraction, the referee may penalize him by deducting points from his score, whether or not the foul or infraction was intentional. Except as otherwise provided in subsection 2 of NAC 467.698, the referee may determine the number of points to be deducted in each instance and shall base his determination on the severity of the foul or infraction and its effect upon the opponent.

2. When the referee determines that it is necessary to deduct a point or points because of a foul or infraction, he shall warn the offender of the penalty to be assessed.

3. The referee shall, as soon as is practical after the foul, notify the judges and both unarmed combatants of the number of points, if any, to be deducted from the score of the offender.

4. Any point or points to be deducted for any foul or infraction must be deducted in the round in which the foul or infraction occurred, and may not be deducted from the score of any subsequent round

http://www.leg.state.nv.us/NAC/NAC-467.html#NAC467Sec682