I would like to see... the loser's nickname taken away

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » I would like to see... the loser's nickname taken away
raulthebullfighter07
1/15/08 6:04:17AM
A fight where the the "winner" takes the loser's nickname away from him. ie. If "Rampage" fought "Iceman" (again) and chuck loses again he would no longer be known as the "Iceman". I would think would motivate some fighters and it would be a total disgrace. Of course it wouldn't be all fights just the ones with popularity. Some what say that it would be too WWEish. But i think it would be kinda cool. thoughts????
Manfred
1/15/08 7:17:52AM
So what about K-Flo vs. J-Lau? Both those names suck!
stock
1/15/08 9:45:11AM
Seems a little WWE-like to me.

I would much rather ZUFFA just give much bigger bonuses for finishing fights.
emfleek
1/15/08 10:42:05AM
Dumb.

No gimmick matches, please. Very WWE'ish. Keep that shit out of MMA.

Though, personally...I'd like to see ALL nicknames dropped.
loonytnt
1/15/08 11:16:50AM
i can hear it now, '' im not fighting him his nickname suck''
loonytnt
1/15/08 11:19:25AM
wait i got one Tito ''the african assassin'' ortiz
Daddyprimetime
1/15/08 11:21:50AM
It's not for me. Randy "Napao" Couture just doesn't sound right.
BLiNg529
1/15/08 11:32:20AM

Posted by emfleek

Dumb.

That's the quote of the day right there. I lol'd
LayinFrame
1/15/08 1:39:16PM
If that shit started happening, the world of mma would go through total destruction.
Kpro
1/15/08 2:53:35PM
This is actually off topic. But I've always thought a "loser leaves promotion" fight would be great if publicized as such. Between a few guys who can't seem to get a W.

Of course, the fact that said promotion would be promoting the fight as such, therefore promoting a fighter who would no longer be in their promotion, makes it impossible by way of smart business decisions.
focusrssvt
1/15/08 3:09:42PM
this is pretty dumb
StevenSeagal
1/15/08 4:05:28PM
If a winner goes on a tear, they can travel with the names of past opponents hanging from their belt. Like they did in the old days with conquered kings skulls lol.
Daddyprimetime
1/15/08 5:20:30PM

Posted by StevenSeagal

If a winner goes on a tear, they can travel with the names of past opponents hanging from their belt. Like they did in the old days with conquered kings skulls lol.

Kinda like;

"And The Skulls Of My Enemies Shall Lay As Trophies Beneath My Feet"
Rush
1/15/08 7:32:19PM

Posted by emfleek

Yup.
DJDark41
1/15/08 8:25:38PM

Posted by emfleek

Dumb.

Saved me the trouble of saying it myself.
jomatty
1/16/08 8:27:16AM
keep in mind that at this point mma is still a sport and i think it would be nice if it remained that way...a lot of people would like to see see randy and fedor fight on scaffolding over broken glass but it doesnt mean it is a good idea...
madmarck
1/16/08 11:47:17AM
but what if you had a shitty nickname like "pee-wee" wouldnt that be a incentinve to lose?
candynuts
1/16/08 12:25:35PM
Royce "Black Dragon" Gracie
Houston "The Dean of Mean" Alexander
Lyoto "Sausage Tits" Machida (I know its Alaskan Assasin, but this is better)
Pookie
1/16/08 3:20:30PM

Posted by candynuts

Royce "Black Dragon" Gracie
Houston "The Dean of Mean" Alexander
Lyoto "Sausage Tits" Machida (I know its Alaskan Assasin, but this is better)

Lyoto could also go by African assassin, hilo boy, and ace
hippysmacker
1/16/08 9:35:13PM
MMA is about honorable competition to me. At least any martial arts training I have ever encountered has preached that. The nicknames don't bother me much, but they are mostly just a selling tool to the casual fan IMO. Many are well earned, but have you noticed how the early TUF fighers usually get a nickname by the time the shows over, even if they lacked one coming in? I have seen that few times ,and even remember a name ( Seth Petruzelli) changing right after the show. I can only assume it was done at the urging of the UFC marketing department. Anyway, I am willing to tolerate the nicknames, and even like some( Rampage,Prodigy, Axe murderer, Natural, Mayhem etc. ) but I don't wish to draw any more attention to them than is absolutely necessary.I think they are part of a marketing strategy to steal away WWF fans. Back to my earlier point, taking a guys nickname form him would seem to be maliciously piling on a defeated foe. Honor would demand a winner be gracious in victory, and praise his opponent. Now I understand there are legit grudge matches,between guys who really don't like each other sometimes, but even then you often see them be cordial after. Chuck and Tito were, and that was the biggest of the high profile grudges in the recent US MMA scene IMO. So in summation. I am against taking a guys nickname.
Cobbs666
1/17/08 8:18:59PM
also the name pitbull should just be outright banned from the sport sign the petition Here to join me in the fight