The loser of Junior Dos Santos vs Alistair Overeem should fight...

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » The loser of Junior Dos Santos vs Alistair Overeem should fight...
POLL: Think Hunt has a chance against either of these guys?
Fuck yea! 40% (14)
Fuck no! 20% (7)
Fuck you! 40% (14)
Boo_Radley21
3/6/12 4:39:18PM
Mark Hunt. He's on a 3 or 4 fight streak I can't remember, all by impressive finish too. Kongo being the toughest of his recent opponents you could call it into question, but there is still no doubting his chin or his toughness or his impressive kickboxing. Overeem and Dos Santos would both almost be guaranteed stand up fights giving him a better chance, and a win throws Hunt right into title contention.

Another factor is if Overeem loses (which I think he will) a fight with Hunt would be reminiscent of Pride even though they never fought, but it could be on the next UFC Japan card.

I know this is all wishful thinking but I think it would be awesome give the guy one last shot before the end of his career. The way he walked down Kongo there's no doubt he'd make an exciting fight against either one of these two guys.
Budgellism
3/6/12 4:49:00PM
I'd love to see that but honestly I think Hunt will fight long before either of these guys will be ready to fight again.
Boo_Radley21
3/6/12 4:50:54PM

Posted by Budgellism

I'd love to see that but honestly I think Hunt will fight long before either of these guys will be ready to fight again.

And if he wins it'll make it even more interesting
grappler0000
3/6/12 4:51:19PM
I'd love to see either of those fights. I think the Reem would go for a submission though.
Boo_Radley21
3/6/12 5:15:26PM
I think Hunt would do better against Overeem than Dos Santos. Junior is retarted quick with his hands and would pick Hunt apart.
george112
3/6/12 6:46:29PM

Dos Santos is just to fast I think.

Overeem would be a better match up for Hunt.

Honestly I really don't care who be fights. I just love watching him. Win or lose
sparky
3/6/12 8:18:44PM

Posted by george112

Honestly I really don't care who be fights. I just love watching him. Win or lose

The R33M almost removed Hunts arm from his body not to long along.

I personally think Hunt has no chance against either man!!
papercut
3/6/12 8:30:12PM

Posted by sparky

Posted by george112

I was gonna point that out too. Overeem and Hunt fought in '08 and Overeem handled him with ease ending the fight a in less than 90 seconds of the first round. but that was about 4 years ago... but I still pick either of these men over Hunt. not because he can't win but just the tools of these 2 work against Hunt.
tcunningham
3/6/12 8:46:34PM
i said no because hunt, although an incredibly strong puncher, is too one dimensional for either man.i think dos santos is elusive and i think overeem would own him in the clinch
bjj1605
3/6/12 9:19:30PM
I said "F**K YOU!" because it was an interesting poll choice.

But I don't have any interest in this fight at the moment.

If Hunt wins against a top ten in his next fight then he could fight the loser.
prozacnation1978
3/6/12 9:29:33PM
I think hunt may face meat head next
I would like to see loser fight strikeforce grand prix champ next
ghandikush
3/6/12 10:02:51PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

I think hunt may face meat head next
I would like to see loser fight strikeforce grand prix champ next

Great action matchup if true. I would like to see him and barry though lol a one dimensional striker matchup for awesomeness.
Malaussie
3/7/12 6:23:34AM
I'd like to see him against Sergei Kharitonov next
george112
3/7/12 6:33:05PM

Posted by sparky

Posted by george112

I saw that fight. And honestly I think JDS would do much worse. Which is why I still think Overeem would be better
george112
3/7/12 6:35:20PM

Posted by Malaussie

I'd like to see him against Sergei Kharitonov next

That'd be cool.

I've always been a fan of Sergie

I really think he COULD have been great. Just a tad late though unfortunately
KungFuMaster
3/8/12 3:11:03AM
If I had my way, Hunt would fight all the top 5 and heavy hitters in the ufc.

tmas
3/12/12 5:09:17PM
Hunt FTW!

Cooler
3/13/12 4:31:32AM
If Cain beats Mir and Junior beats Overeem, then I guess do Junior vs Cain 2 or Junior vs Werdum 2 or Junior vs the SF GP winner.

Any other scenario isn't disputable.
Pookie
3/13/12 10:34:50AM
Because Cain v. Mir is already the #1 contender fight, short of some injury Snafu that never happens in this sport. The winner of this fight won't be fighting the Loser.

Also, all of this analysis is null and void if Mir beats Cain. Though, that is the most unlikely thing to happen in my entire post.

I would not Advise the Loser of Cain v. Mir to fight the loser of Overeem v. Junior. Here's why:

If Overeem loses, and Cain fights Junior, you risk having Junior's first 2 defenses being Rematches(Overeem, and Cain), which kills the future HW title ambitions of both down the road, and stagnates the division Rich Franklin style, short of Cain beating Junior or Mir beating Overeem. Though the chances of one winning is probably above 50%, the potential risk of stagnation isn't worth it, in my opinion, from a business perspective. Seeing as how keeping those fighters (Overeem/Mir) seperate allows for two extra avenues of title contenders to emerge down the road through them being upset against a different opponent, while still maintaining the possibility of one putting together a win streak later and Challenging for their earned rematch in the future. In the HW division, whichever route allows for the most contenders to get up to Junior, i think is the wisest move.

If Junior loses, and Cain fights Overeem, The champion will then fight Junior for the title in their next match, as a rematch. And the same problem occurs as in the situation above, but the stagnation is even harder to avoid. If Overeem win's both, Junior is out of the title picture being 0-2 against Overeem. Cain is unlikely to lose against anyone below Junior, and at 0-1 Cain is likely to get rewarded a title shot against Overeem in a rematch. Same problem occurs. Stagnation and Cain/Junior Clean out the contenders while out of the title picture themselves. But even if Junior has to wait for his title rematch, He'll still clean out the contenders until he does.
The only 2 possible bright spots in this scenario is if Cain beats overeem and Loses to Junior, you set up a trilogy with Overeem v. Dos Santos and possibly a rematch/trilogy with Cain Overeem.
That and if Cain beats Overeem and beats Junior. Junior v. Cain get a trilogy, and Overeem can earn a rematch afterwords against Cain.
The problem with this convoluted outline is that, 2 particular fight endings in a row have to occur, to prevent stagnation, and that at HW i'd put at about around 20% chance to occur for If both times the winner is the favorite. Even worse if they aren't the rightful favorite in both fights.

So with all that mumbo jumbo out of the way, I think the loser of Overeem/Dos Santos and the loser of Mir/Cain is a reallllly bad idea.

So, my choices
If
Overeem is the loser:
Winner of Big Foot v. Big Country. But if Nelson wins he's probably still going to LHW. In which case i would defer to Shane Carwin. As i think the only other rational option would be the winner Cormier v. Barnett, and i would prefer that for Mir.

If
Junior is the loser:
Winner of Cormier v. Barnett. Or a Rematch with Werdum if he win's against Russow. If niether pans out, Mark Hunt all the way in a fireworks stand-up fight. Though i'd prefer to see Hunt go up against Carwin if Junior loses to Overeem.

Sorry for all the convoluted, baseless rambling. But thats how i would juggle the division in terms of Business, Entertainment, and my own personal preferences.