Want to lose 40-50 pounds in 3 months

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Want to lose 40-50 pounds in 3 months
Taylor8766
8/31/08 7:05:13PM
Hey I was just wondering if it's possible to lose 40-50 pounds in just 3 months, see I'm starting back school on tuesday, and I play football everyday and I was just wondering if there are any good workouts, and meal plans that would help me.

Props
Jackelope
8/31/08 10:59:31PM
Better than any specific meal plan or workout routine is to buy into your own idea that you're going to do this. Commit yourself to it 100%. No one is going to write something on here that will make it happen. The only way it will happen is if YOU make it happen. You already have the knowledge, just go put it to work-

Stay active- exercise every day.
Eat healthy, don't cheat and stay committed.
Rush
9/1/08 9:20:09AM
Well, first of all it will depend on what your natural weight is and what you are now. i.e. if you are 250-300 lbs and your natural weight is about 200 lbs, then losing 50 lbs should be pretty easy if you work hard. However, if you are 220 and want to drop to 180 and your natural weight is 200lbs, then it might not be as easy.

A few tips for you to consider. **Caveat** everyone is different so some of these might work for you and some may not. My best advice is to pick something that you think you can do and try it for a month. If it works, keep it up, if not, try something else.

Cardio - Contrary to what a lot of people think, cardio does not always guarantee ample fat loss. ie. just hitting the tread mill for 15-20 min a day will help, but not as much as people think. To get a good amount of fat loss it is best to run in aerobic conditions (a rule of thumb is that you should be breathing relaxed such that you can comfortably carry on a conversation during running) for at least 50 mins. I know it may seem like a long time, but long easy running is good for fat loss. Long hikes with a semi heavy (and properly worn) backpack will also be great. If you haven't run or hiked before I strongly suggest you get a proper pair of shoes (from a running store - not a place like Foot Locker) and start small and build up your time/distance. Another tip is if you normally drive a car, walk instead. It takes more time, but my mom (who is in her sixties) has dropped about 30 lbs or more just by walking down the beach twice a day. Instead of driving, walk to school, walk to the store, etc. There is a reason why people in the burbs are fatter than people that live in the city.

Resistance - as you've probably heard, muscle burns fat, so getting your muscles working will help increase your workout "after burn". I'm not going to throw any routines out there for you because everyone likes different things, but my suggestion would be to talk to your coach. If you are playing football for your school it might be the best for you to focus on exercises that will improve your football fitness. Talk to your coach or do a google search.

Diet - Here is where a lot of people's philosophies differ. I am an advocate of balanced healthy eating rather than extreme eating. By balanced I mean, eat a good combination of carbs, fat, meat and veggies.

Eat whole grains and fibre (avoid refined sugars and white . bread). Try to stay away from a lot of rice. It makes you constipated and can prevent rapid weight loss. If you do like eating rice, mix it with barley and millet and only eat about a cup (cooked) at a time.

Get the proper fats in your body ( made a thread on this and just bumped it for you).

Don't eat too much meat. You don't need to eat a 14oz steak every day. A good portion of meat should be about the size of a deck of cards. Eating lots of fish is great (and I am not talking about fish sticks)

As Mr. T says, eat yo vegetables foo! Listen to the T, he's of what he speaks.

Try to eat more smaller portions in the day and make sure your breakfast is big and healthy. That helps jumpstart your metabolism

Stay away from the following:
-late night eating/snacking. Try to eat your bigger meal of the day earlier on rather than in the evening.
-stay away from pre-packaged foods (i.e. stuff you buy in a box in the grocery store that you just need to heat up) Not only are these things full of preservatives and sugar, but they are also damned expensive.
-stay away from fast foods. Trust me, all you need to do is prevent yourself from eating out in burger joints for a month and you will most likely lose any cravings.
-try to avoid using store bough sauces to add flavour to your food. These are loaded with salt and sugar. Instead use fresh garlic and spices.

Other info
IMO, a very underrated aspect of losing weight is your state of mind. First of all, make sure you get lots of sleep. I used to work out 6 days a week, 2 hours each day, all the while getting only 5-6 hours of sleep a night. I was so tired I would fall asleep at work. What I did was drop 2 workouts a week, drop my workout time to about 1 hour (but made it more intense) and got an extra 2+ hours of sleep a night. I dropped about 5 lbs and looked and felt a lot better. In short, get lots of sleep and make sure you give your body rest if it tells you that it needs rest. If you take a day off and feel guilty, go for a long walk and/or dedicate a half hour to stretch (something that most guys neglect)

Another thing is to try and relax and feel good about yourself. I know this sounds kind of "self help" like, but relaxed muscles function much better and you'll get more from your workouts.

I hope that helps
DoTheMMAth
9/1/08 11:28:26AM
40-50 pounds is a pretty significant amount of weight. You could utterly overwhelm and bury yourself with specifics, calorie counters, etc - but for now I would just focus on getting in motion and being consistent while using some common sense in terms of diet. There's an age-old debate on just about every fitness forum on the net as to what's better: AM cardio, cardio post-workout, etc. The important thing here isn't when, but just to make sure you do it and stick to it.

Just out of curiosity, how much do you weight right now? And what position do you plan on playing?

Hard to one-up anything that Rush posted as well. I'd bookmark his post
Taylor8766
9/1/08 7:09:58PM

Posted by DoTheMMAth

40-50 pounds is a pretty significant amount of weight. You could utterly overwhelm and bury yourself with specifics, calorie counters, etc - but for now I would just focus on getting in motion and being consistent while using some common sense in terms of diet. There's an age-old debate on just about every fitness forum on the net as to what's better: AM cardio, cardio post-workout, etc. The important thing here isn't when, but just to make sure you do it and stick to it.

Just out of curiosity, how much do you weight right now? And what position do you plan on playing?

Hard to one-up anything that Rush posted as well. I'd bookmark his post

I weigh about 255lbs and I play middlelinebacker
bojangalz
9/1/08 7:33:59PM
Well, I can't speak about dropping from 220+ lbs. But I'm 5-9 and was walking around at about 180 lbs. in May. I've been holding steady at about 158 lbs now for the last week or two.

All i did was change up my snacking habits a bit and take time to run a little every day. I was on a pretty steady diet of candy bars and soda, now I'm hitting the water bottle pretty hard (crystal lite is a godsend) and eating granola bars instead. Short of that, it's just a matter of watching my portions at the diner table. I haven't really changed much else.

I think the idea of running makes guys sick. Trust me, it ain't all that bad. I actually enjoy it which sounds nuts I know. But I've got a pretty noisy household, with the kids and all. I think of running as my few moments of peace and quiet each day. That kind of mindset keeps me looking forward to the run, and keeps it from seeming like hard work.

FYI, if your thinking about it, and you've got an iPod Nano; you owe it to yourself to check out the Nike + iPod Sport Kit. It logs all of your running activity for you. You can track progress during the run, and it automatically syncs with a web site too. It's only $30.00, and is worth every penny. I've been using one since late June and love it.

here's what the website looks like:

My Running Log

ps...
Shameless plug- I'm selling my extra one on ebay as well as a 8gb Nano. If interested, pm me and I'll get you the link. Good luck dropping the weight. All it takes is a good game plan, and dedication.
postman
9/1/08 9:59:27PM
I droped 25 lbs in 2 months. I quit drinking Soda I quit eating after 7:00 pm And I ran everychance I got. Now I stared drinking soda agian I also eat later and Im back to 190 and can't stand myself. So what ever you do to drop it your not going to be able to sway to far from once it is off.
Salty
9/2/08 8:57:25AM
I've got to do something like this too, im walking between 235-240 and looking to get down to at least 190ish by February seeing as that will be my first Ammy MMA fight (can't freekin wait).. My biggest problem is definitly eating habits, I HATE vegetables, i don't know why, but i can't stand the taste of them, other then cucumbers and lettuce... but heres where i get odd, i LOVE V8 juice, not the fruity kind the regular V8 stuff, i could drink a gallon a day.
The-Don
9/2/08 2:23:57PM
Not really much to add with what Rush posted... my advice is not focus on a number to get down to.. but eat right.. exercise properly.. and let your body get to its own ideal weight.. weather that is 10 pounds or 50 or somewhere in the middle. get your body to the point where you have the most energy and feel the strongest.. you may not need to lose that much to get to where your body is most comfortable. just my advice...