Lorenzo Fertitta: 'Let Joe Silva and Sean Shelby develop a women's league, I guarantee you they can do it'

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Lorenzo Fertitta: 'Let Joe Silva and Sean Shelby develop a women's league, I guarantee you they can do it'
sparky
3/14/12 8:11:01PM
Is someone pulling rank?

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta, who was both "captivated" and "blown away" by the headlining fight of Ronda Rousey vs. Miesha Tate back on March 3 under the Strikeforce banner, is a staunch supporter of women's mixed martial arts (MMA).

UFC President Dana White? Not so much.

Women's MMA, while prevalent overseas in Japan and Australia, is limited to mostly regional promotions in the United States, with the occasional superfight televised under the Strikeforce banner when one or more of its top stars are available.

But will we ever see women inside the Octagon?

Fertitta believes the perceived lack of depth in the existing talent pool is not only starting to change, but could be compensated by the matchmaking skills of Joe Silva and Sean Shelby.

Link
Bubbles
3/14/12 9:29:39PM
I am a supporter of women's MMA and would love to see it brought to the big stage and promoted properly...as well as giving them much better pay. There are enough women right now to put together a fairly competitve and exciting division, but the problem is that they need both 145 and 135 to have 20 fighters or so each to make this a worthwhile move. It's not quite there yet, but I hope to see this within the next 5 years.

An all female TUF is an interesting possibility. Tate and Rousey as coaches? someone tweet this to Lorenzo for me (cuz I dont have twitter)

btw who wouldnt love a staredown at the weigh ins like this (from the article)
warglory
3/14/12 9:55:26PM
Oh my...that's a lovely pic.
emfleek
3/14/12 10:02:48PM
Give it time...Zuffa will purchase InvictaFC.
Cooler
3/15/12 12:20:05AM
You heard it from the cows mouth. Women will fight in the UFC.

And I LOVE the idea of an all female tuf. Every girlfriend would tune in with their b/f for that and my pants go..
gartface
3/15/12 12:01:17PM

Posted by emfleek

Pretty safe bet.

Also disagree with this article saying Dana White is against Women's MMA. Even Shannon Knapp said he's supportive of it, just believes it needs to be developed further.
emfleek
3/15/12 12:02:10PM

Posted by gartface

Posted by emfleek

Pretty safe bet.

Also disagree with this article saying Dana White is against Women's MMA. Even Shannon Knapp said he's supportive of it, just believes it needs to be developed further.

Exactly. He's against having women fight IN THE UFC due to lack of depth/talent.