looking to start training fighters

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » looking to start training fighters
tsuwrestler157
4/21/08 3:27:59PM
Hey everyone a couple of my team mates have started fighting here in state and i have been training them i was wondering are there any resources out there to help me become a better trainer

ive taken bjj classes and they as well as i are college wrestlers so we have good ground games i jus need some advice on how to learn the tricks of the trade such as ring/cage tactics/awareness, strategy, things to say during a fight stuff like that any help would be appreciated
bayonetxwork
4/21/08 7:28:29PM

Posted by tsuwrestler157
ive taken bjj classes and they as well as i are college wrestlers so we have good ground games i jus need some advice on how to learn the tricks of the trade such as ring/cage tactics/awareness, strategy, things to say during a fight stuff like that any help would be appreciated

Not to come off as a douche or anything, but a lot of trainers learn from prior experience in the ring/cage. Looks like you have a good wrestling base to train your guys with, but IMO until you get more knowledge of the rest of MMA, you really shouldn't be training. There is so much detail, and technique to "perfect" your MMA game, and I just don't feel that unless you are well qualified to do the job you shouldn't be doing it.
holku
4/22/08 10:27:09AM
Everyone has to start somewhere so don't let that stop you from going out there and trying. As far as things to say during the fight goes TUF is a place to start. Without all the ppv crowd noise you can hear what the trainers are saying to the fighters. Basically though say what you think will be helpful whether it's reminding them how to work through the guard or even something as simple as remember the game plan.
If you guys are confident in your base or just kind of desperate try looking at some instructional dvds like Brandon Vera's MMA Game Plan. I would just suggest watching anything by yourself at least a few times and making sure you understand it thoroughly to try and keep your guys from picking up any wrong ideas and forming bad habits.
tsuwrestler157
4/22/08 11:04:15AM
thanks for the advice im just looking to get a start in it ive coached elementary wrestling programs and assitant coach of a girls national wrestling team so ive had experience training the unexperienced

i feel like i would be a better trainer than fighter ive broken my nose a couple times during matches and thats no fun at all

im working with really good athletes that once they get a good understanding of the fighting aspect they should be very good fighters

i know of alot of trainers have never competed and was wondering how they got their start and stuff

but thanks for the advice
bayonetxwork
4/22/08 5:44:08PM

Posted by tsuwrestler157
i know of alot of trainers have never competed and was wondering how they got their start and stuff

Yes, but a lot of those have excellent credentials in what they do, or started out being a specialized coach in either wrestling, BJJ, muay thai, etc. and I think that would be a great way for you to get your foot in the door. just curious, do you have any experience in standup fighting?
tsuwrestler157
4/22/08 6:00:22PM
ive taken tai kwan do, karate, boxing and self defense

im in school now to become a personal trainer/gym owner and a strength and conditioning coach
puppetmaster837
4/22/08 9:18:17PM

Posted by bayonetxwork

Posted by tsuwrestler157

Not to come off as a douche or anything, but a lot of trainers learn from prior experience in the ring/cage. Looks like you have a good wrestling base to train your guys with, but IMO until you get more knowledge of the rest of MMA, you really shouldn't be training. There is so much detail, and technique to "perfect" your MMA game, and I just don't feel that unless you are well qualified to do the job you shouldn't be doing it.

if you are asking on an online forum for how to teach mma you shouldn't be an instructor. you are clearly inexperienced. you have taken BJJ classes which sounds like you are not a black belt and should not be instructing on that. You named a few types of striking you have done, that aren't really helpful in mma. boxing is, but TKD and self defense are useless.I dont mean to be rude but if you want to teach you should get yourself more educated first and have your friends find an actual place to train at.
tsuwrestler157
4/22/08 10:59:39PM
hey um thanks for your opinion but if you read what i asked i was asking where and how to get started my friends know im not an expert we just roll and practice things we know and try to find things that will help them in a fight im not training them for pro title fights or even amatuer titles for that matter so they dont really feel like paying a ton and also if you read what i posted you would know i was more concerned on stuff that you cannot learn in ne disicipline like cage tactics,strategy and things of that nature

atleast im asking for advice instead of half the americans out there who just watch it on tv and go and try it the next day and risk life over limb

im starting to get annoyed because everyone says you need to do this and that and ur not experienced or not a black belt sorry if i grew up with one parent that could barely pay for some luxaries in life and not 75 bucks a month for bjj or mauy thai or boxing classes

and currently my tuition just got raised to 32 thousand(yeah no typo there) it was 28k and i had to take out a 11k loan plus other small loans so i really dont have the money for it now neither, do my friends so we are trying to get buy with what we have

sorry if i was trying to help out some friends by finding resources to become learn from

but than again thanks for your opinion
Svartorm
4/23/08 4:03:04AM
Hey bro, your heart is in the right place, but the above posters are right. If you don't know the game, you can't very well coach the game.

You're going about it the right way as far as your strength/conditioning training, and that can be your nitch, but you need to REALLY know MMA to coach a fighter during a fight. It takes an excellent working knowledge of the sport, as you need to be able to spot dangerous situations and opportunities for your fighter, and be able to talk them through it. Most MMA fans can name off techniques, but you need to know the mechanics of these techniques to talk your fighter through it if hes stuck in the ring, and that takes some serious time in.

You also need to be able to speak clearly, loudly and in a way that the fighter can understand your directions, and be able to pick up on detail at a distance, as you're not always in position to get a good read on whats going on with a fight.

As for fight experience = coaching ability, its a falsehood. Some of the best instructors and coaches out there (Tompkins, Greg Jackson, Erik Paulsson, etc) were anywhere from decent to terrible in the ring themselves. Its really a very unique skillset to be able to coach, and if its something you really want to do, nows the time to start learning the game and take some classes.

As for learning things like cage generalship and whatnot, its something you learn from training, and something you can learn from watching how other guys move and apply it to how you operate as well. Cage fighting is still a relatively new phenomenon, and is developing as a science, so if you're interested in things like fighters gameplans, watching fights is the best way to figure out what works and what doesn't.

Oddly enough, playing this game is also a very good way of picking up on what styles and gameplans beat what.
tsuwrestler157
4/23/08 9:52:05AM
thanks alot i plan to be in it for awhile im planning on fighting once i graduate from college i cant really risk it right now plus i tore my LCL during wrestling i just feel that mma in indiana is still growing and if i get some experience in it and figure out how to progress a fighter i think i could help alot of new comers to the sport and myself when i feel its time for me to fight

with my coaching experience as well as my own wrestling exp. i have watched countless hours of tape of me and others wrestling and i guess ill just have to do that with mma my friends fight this weekend so im pretty pumped for that

in my friends last fight i saw a first he double legged the guy exploded up, his feet were off the ground atleast a foot and slamed the guy on his head knocking him out on impact it lasted maybe 30 seconds it blew my mind . he has so much raw talent and that killer instinct once he learns some decent strikes he will be dangerous he is naturally good at passes and after i showed him some sweeps he was sweeping me left and right

but thanks again

and heres a pic of my friend nick slamming the guy
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
tsuwrestler157
4/27/08 11:08:25PM
my friend knocked his guy out in 14 seconds in his fight saturday double leg to mount and 3 punches and the guy was done and improvement from his 15 second slam KO