i was looking at the fighter rankings page today &......

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA Playground Game Talk » i was looking at the fighter rankings page today &......
CantAndleDaRiddum
9/9/08 12:18:16PM
i always knew it was based on points & peopel picked their top 10s & blah blah blah.......but i enver knew this:

The points awarded via the rankings chosen by our website members are then modified based on the individual user's career performance in the MMAPlayground.com fantasy picks game.

The higher a player's overall career percentage of correct picks made on MMA events* is compared to that of other users, the more value a member's vote carries. The result is that the people with the greatest knowledge of the fighters and have demonstrated a proven ability at predicting fights have a larger say in determining the fighter rankings, while still allowing enthusiasts and casual fans to have some input as well.

am i the only one that didnt know your pick record was accounted for when ranking fighters?
bullettdodger
9/9/08 12:24:28PM
No, i didn't know that myself
Bowen50
9/9/08 1:12:45PM
i didn't know that either. thats actually a pretty cool ranking system having the more knowledgeable peoples votes count more.
DoTheMMAth
9/9/08 3:14:30PM
The concept was to have the most accurate possible indication of the way that fighters should rank. It just seemed more fair that the folks who have been on the site for a while and proven their prowess, fighter knowledge, picking skill, and research abilities have their votes count more than some general "ultimate fighting" fan who just makes an account, picks only the fighters they know, and never comes close to having a winning record.

The end result of all this being, what we believe to be, is the best balance of educated rankings and public opinion to determine the most widely acceptable top 10's in each division of mixed martial arts.
CantAndleDaRiddum
9/9/08 3:27:32PM
it makes tons of sense dont think anyone would argue that
emfleek
9/9/08 3:30:34PM

Posted by CantAndleDaRiddum

ncordless
9/9/08 4:06:43PM
I like the rankings and take them seriously. I think that they are probably the most accurate rankings of any website.
wolfman
9/9/08 5:58:03PM
I still haven't gotten around to doing my own personal rankings, but I definitely agree with what has been said as it does make sense to give more weight to those with better records.
MMAcca
9/14/08 12:02:18PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by CantAndleDaRiddum

Kracker_Jap
9/14/08 12:39:45PM
I didn't know that....

But I like the site even more now because it makes tons of sence