Looking at body while fighting

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Looking at body while fighting
fedorwins1
5/16/07 1:49:37PM
I see some people looking towards the torso of the person and some look straight at the person's head. My question is are you supposed to focus on their torso or their head. It feels more comfortable for me to look at the torso, but I don't think I've ever been taught to do that.
bayonetxwork
5/16/07 3:24:36PM
Depends. If your trying to be offensive by punching them, don't look at their torso while swinging for their head. But if you aren't punching, definitely look at the torso. Thats pretty much what every sport has in common, basketball, football, soccer, lacrosse, boxing, mma, etc. A person's center of gravity is just above the waist(on a guy, for a girl its a little lower I believe) so if you watch their torso/hips, you can anticipate what they are going to do.

To sum it up, anywhere your torso/lower body goes, your upper body will most likely follow.

[edit]BTW, when I say look I don't mean STARE at his torso and thats it, I try to look at the shoulders, and just use peripheral vision to see when they are rotating their hips for a punch, kick, etc.[/edit]
ordean
5/16/07 6:35:45PM
I look at the torso. I can see arms, body, and legs all at once. It just feels like I see more of what they are doing.
Mastodon2
5/16/07 6:37:58PM
If you are centred on the Torso, it allows you to focus on an individual leg or arm more quickly than if you were focusing on the head. Think of it like this;

The torso is the hub, from there you can quickly look out to the left or right leg, left or right arm or the head. If you are looking at the head you cant refocus as quickly, so you cant react to strikes or your opponents movements as quickly.
Svartorm
5/17/07 12:18:31AM
I never focus on any one area, but open up my range of vision so I can see the entirely of the person. I think they call it "eagle vision" in TMA, but basically you unfocus your eyes, and can see everything pretty clearly.
SteedTheDeed
5/17/07 5:06:07PM
i look at chest when serious, sometimes when i spar with a buddy i always look him right in the eyes, just to annoy him. But that is not recommended when first sparring.
Ultimate_fighter
5/19/07 2:13:44AM
I look at the torsco becuz i can see both shoulders. I focus on what shoulder is gonna a move, well thats if ur a counterstriker.
szucconi
5/19/07 3:46:08AM
It depends. The eyes might telegraph a shot. The shoulders might give away a punch. IMO the hips don't lie. You can't do anything without preparing your hips. As long as you can keep track of hip movement then it doesn't matter where you look. I used this advice for wrestling, but it can be applied to other sports. For wrestling, I would look down at about the belly button because most of the attacks in wrestling are coming from a shot. Where you look depends where the attack is coming from, but as long as you track the hips then you can react quickly.
MethodMan
5/21/07 9:35:24AM

Posted by Svartorm

I never focus on any one area, but open up my range of vision so I can see the entirely of the person. I think they call it "eagle vision" in TMA, but basically you unfocus your eyes, and can see everything pretty clearly.

Hey I use the old "eagle vision" trick to, it is quite common in the chinese martial arts. It is used most extensivly in xingyi cirlces were they train it at the same time as their zhan zung (post skill).
MMA117
5/24/07 4:02:12PM
I agree w/ hammer although after awhile you can tell what a less experienced fighter is gonna do from their eyes and facial expressions
Gladiator
5/25/07 1:52:51PM
look at the body, hes not going to hit u with his eyes.
-Virus-
5/26/07 7:53:28PM
I look at about chest level so i can see there arm movement easy but that is just me.