Over looked contenders?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Over looked contenders?
theguido
12/30/08 1:37:32PM
People like Jardine And Machida come to mind when I begin to wonder why some people take soo long or never get the title shot they deserve Okami came to mind to but it looks like he's gonna get his hopefully.

Please add and elaborate names and situations.
Twenty20Dollars
12/30/08 1:44:47PM
Well jardine was in contention with the win over chuck and forrest but then got KO'ed by Wandy, then barely beat Vera.

Machida hasnt really fought any top competition or finished most of his fights like okami, so that puts you on the slow path.

Kongo because that decision loss to herring set him back.

telnights
12/30/08 4:41:40PM
Jardine is up and down. In his last 4 fights he is 2-2 with both those losses coming way of devastating KOs. Then both his wins were not really very dominant. The only contender he has beat as of late is Chuck and he didn't do it in very dominating fashion. So in his last 4 fights he has 2 KO losses and 2 wins. Both those wins going to the cards and one of them being a split decision.

Now Machida I agree has been over looked. He is one of the best LHWs if not the best in the UFC. I get a feeling after his next fight he will get a shot.

Hendo67
12/30/08 4:43:46PM
Okami clearly, in my opinion. However i don't find the guy exciting at all, no one that i know likes to watch him fight.

Machida, yes. The guy is so technically good, it's unreal. I think after the Silva fight, we should see the new #1 contender.

Not so much Jardine, because he is not a very good fighter (imo) He's not consistent at all, maybe when he strings together a few good wins, but as of now...no.

big_timmy
12/30/08 6:15:46PM
The UFC is a business, and if your gonna win fights by working a decision, your not gonna be marketable. Hence the reason Okami and Machida don't have title shots yet. And im my opinon i don't want them too.

Jardine on the other hand, here is a horribly ugly man who looks like he eats kids for fun, and he was winning fights, and beat Chuck in a superb show of gameplan, so thats worth your title shot there, but like its been said, he has lost twice in highlight reel fashion, and that plays in the mind of people when they think of title shots.

The one dude i can't figure out why he never got his shot, is Marcus Davis. Dude was on a tear, and he was beating guys with good stoppages. Everyone says his loss to Swick put a stop to that, but lets be honest, he won 11 in a row, and loss by decision, where as most of his wins came to stoppage. This is a dude i wanna see get his shot.

Kongo is marketable as hell. Huge kickboxing bloke who looks like the bad guy from a Die Hard movie, and he actually speaks alright for a Frenchie. With his brutal finishes he was looking good, especially with sucha shallow division, but when you lose a boring decision, it can put a halt on things. Dude's jsut gotta work on his ground game and he'll get a title shot soon i reckon, once all this interim business is sorted.
bls1919
12/30/08 6:26:21PM
Sonn Machida will reign as LHW king!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
big_timmy
12/30/08 6:34:42PM
jae_1833
12/30/08 7:02:28PM
I honestly think that if Machida was the LHW Champ it would be the most frustrating thing ever, all his fights would go into the 5th round and most likely end with a decision in his favor. God I hope T. Silva KOs his "technical" arse. Technically boring.
MikeyG
12/30/08 7:24:33PM
cane, alves, dos santos

all will be champs in there time, thiago in 2009
fonduktoe
12/31/08 2:22:51AM

Posted by jae_1833

I honestly think that if Machida was the LHW Champ it would be the most frustrating thing ever, all his fights would go into the 5th round and most likely end with a decision in his favor. God I hope T. Silva KOs his "technical" arse. Technically boring.

i think the only reason machida hasn't had a title shot yet is because dana doesn't want to see a champ who takes every fight into five rounds of backpedalling decisions (can you honestly see machida headlining a ppv card and have it sell good?)
higdon10
12/31/08 12:20:26PM

Posted by fonduktoe
(can you honestly see machida headlining a ppv card and have it sell good?)

Not a chance in hell.
nastynick13
12/31/08 5:42:50PM
Thales Leites
I think everyone is overlooking this guy. Saying he has no shot at beating Anderson Silva. I would still pick Anderson Silva to win the fight, I mean come on the Silva is one of the best pound for pound if not the best, but to say he doesn't deserve his shot is crazy. Thales has a skill set that can bring alot of problems for Anderson Silva. Anderson Silva has lost twice by subbmission and when Lutter got him down he was able to mount Silva pretty easily. Thales has gone 5-1 since coming to the UFC. 3 of his wins are first round submissions. They guy has shown alot of heart in his fights too. Espically in the Nate Mardquart fight. He took an illegal knee, by UFC rules, that pretty much knocked him out in the second round and held his own for the rest of the fight to win by split decision. This guy has a good shot at beating Anderson Silva.
warglory
1/1/09 2:12:28PM

Posted by fonduktoe

Posted by jae_1833

i think the only reason machida hasn't had a title shot yet is because dana doesn't want to see a champ who takes every fight into five rounds of backpedalling decisions (can you honestly see machida headlining a ppv card and have it sell good?)

Show me one fight where Machida backpedals. Getting out of the way of a flurry does not equate to backpedaling. backpedaling is avoiding the fight, Machida does not avoid fighting, he fights smart. You want to know what happens when you go in with the sole intent of knocking people out? You get KOed like Wandy just did. Machida is the future of this sport, so getting used to his "boring" tactics is something everyone is going to have to do.
EvenFlow
1/1/09 4:37:24PM
Strictly the UFC...

Gabe Gonzaga, everyone thinks he's crap after the Werdum fight and thats far from the truth. I see him at a title shot and probably winning soon.

Dos Santos, most think he's just a one hit wonder but will be surprised how far he climbs the rankings in 09.

Banha Cane, the man took everything Soko had and didnt flinch, he kept moving forward and pressed Soko until he had nothing left and finished it, full of potential he will also rise in the rankings in 09.

Demian Maia, if you think he's just a jiu jitsu player your in for a surprise when he gets deeper into contention for the title, though he might not beat Anderson he has one of the best styles to beat him.

Thiago Alves, nobody believe that he could beat Karo, Hughes and the Kos fight was 50/50, he is easily the most improved fighter since his loss to Fitch and the most improved and impressive fighter of 2008 beating 3 top 5's in 3 fights on a 7 fight win streak. Even if he loses to Penn/GSP winner, he will hold the WW belt.
jae_1833
1/1/09 5:31:51PM

Posted by warglory

Posted by fonduktoe

Posted by jae_1833

Show me one fight where Machida backpedals. Getting out of the way of a flurry does not equate to backpedaling. backpedaling is avoiding the fight, Machida does not avoid fighting, he fights smart. You want to know what happens when you go in with the sole intent of knocking people out? You get KOed like Wandy just did. Machida is the future of this sport, so getting used to his "boring" tactics is something everyone is going to have to do.

Exciting fighter's get title shots, which is why they are already talking about giving the next one to Rampage. Which is messed up in a way but I get it. Despite having more recent wins, Machida is just a technical snoozefest. Sometimes in a fight you need to do something bold, risky to win. This is why Machida's "Intelligent" and "Ellusive" fighting style may get him wins, but it will make his road to a title a very long one. Tim Sylvia fought a lot like that too, and as soon as he lost his title he was cut from his contract and has not been sought out since. I am willing to bet this will happen to Machida as well, and the sooner the better IMO. AA on the other hand destroys people on a regular basis and since he left the UFC over them screwing him it has been regretted and the UFC has tried to get him back. Look at Clay Guida's record and tell me why he is still on the viewed fightcard as much as he is. It's not because I got used to being bored, if that is what I need to do to enjoy a sport I will start watching Golf!!!
warglory
1/1/09 10:46:20PM

Posted by jae_1833

Posted by warglory

Posted by fonduktoe

Posted by jae_1833

Exciting fighter's get title shots, which is why they are already talking about giving the next one to Rampage. Which is messed up in a way but I get it. Despite having more recent wins, Machida is just a technical snoozefest. Sometimes in a fight you need to do something bold, risky to win. This is why Machida's "Intelligent" and "Ellusive" fighting style may get him wins, but it will make his road to a title a very long one. Tim Sylvia fought a lot like that too, and as soon as he lost his title he was cut from his contract and has not been sought out since. I am willing to bet this will happen to Machida as well, and the sooner the better IMO. AA on the other hand destroys people on a regular basis and since he left the UFC over them screwing him it has been regretted and the UFC has tried to get him back. Look at Clay Guida's record and tell me why he is still on the viewed fightcard as much as he is. It's not because I got used to being bored, if that is what I need to do to enjoy a sport I will start watching Golf!!!

Are you seriously comparing Machida to Tim Sylvia? Tim was hesitant to engage as champion, Machida isn't scared, he is tactful, there is no hesitation in his fights. He knows exactly when to strike, and when he does, it's incredibly effective. I don't understand why people think Machida is so boring, I think he is one of the more exciting fighters in the sport today. Clay is fun to watch because he pushes his way through punishment, he provides an exciting story unfolding in the ring involving a competitor who keeps persevering. That's all well and good, but every fight can't be a bloodsport and every fighter can't be a brawler. This sport NEEDS a fresh take in order for it to evolve. I am personally turned off by slugfests because it looks like a streetfight with little skill. I always shake my head at the notion that Griffin vs Bonnar is one of the best UFC fighters ever. That is a load of shit. All they did for the entire match was land bombs on each other and engage in a little ground fighting here and there, I think it's the most overrated MMA match of all time.

This isn't the WWE, this is sport, and if the UFC wanted to put over Machida they could...very easily. This same concept applies to Jon Fitch who I don't consider to be boring either, yet he is pulling dark match duty after a championship fight. It's BS. Go watch Machida dismantle Soko and tell me that he can't be promoted and be exciting.
jae_1833
1/2/09 1:53:55AM
Well, I forfeit. I have to just agree to disagree with you bud.
big_timmy
1/2/09 6:03:31PM
Another post that turns into a Machida argument. AND I WASN 'T EVEN INVOLVED!!!

How's that for restraint.

Him and Tim Sylvia will always split people. Trust me, i've tried to convince people since i saw him fight for the first time.

No use boys, no one changes there mind becuase someone on the net tells them differently.
warglory
1/2/09 7:30:31PM

Posted by big_timmy

Another post that turns into a Machida argument. AND I WASN 'T EVEN INVOLVED!!!

How's that for restraint.

Him and Tim Sylvia will always split people. Trust me, i've tried to convince people since i saw him fight for the first time.

No use boys, no one changes there mind becuase someone on the net tells them differently.

Haha, but it's so fun to argue!