A look back at PRIDEFC

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » A look back at PRIDEFC
prophecy033
7/28/11 7:49:01PM
I miss the days of the UFC and PRIDEFC coexisting in the mma landscape. The debate as to which rules were better (elbows in the ufc, soccer kicks in pride), who had better fighters, and which belt help the most prestige. With this thread I'm recalling my favorite fight from pride. It's not wanderlei knocking out Sakuraba or Fedor getting suplexed by Kevin Randleman but Don Frye vs. Yoshihiro Takayama. If you haven't seen this fight, look it up. These two guys literally slugged it out for the whole fight. Each guy grabbed the back of the others head with their left hands and proceeded to punch the other in the face with the right. It's part funny and part brutal but 100% entertaining. Entertainment was #1 in prides eyes, regardless of how big a mismatch the fight was. I mean, bob sapp beat up guys close to half his size most the time.

Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
tn_rebel
7/30/11 12:48:58AM
Loved that fight! Definately the best Pride moment I can think of!
mrsmiley
7/30/11 7:12:11AM
To me,Pride will always be the best. Period.

I'm not sure if I can pick one greatest moment though perhaps I may give it to Crocop and Fedor. I believe that was truley the first MMA superfight in the heavy weight division. No one thought it would happen after Fedor broke his hand. They kept saying he was ducking CC,the high kick was going to kill him,etc. Then what do you know? Not only does Fedor eat the kick,he delivers one of his own! Classic example of how Fedor fights his opponents fight and demoralizes them in the process.

Saku vs Newton was an amazing fight. When it comes to straight grappling,that fight is probably still the best MMA fight in my opinion. Or when Rampage was talking on his cellphone before fighting Wandy as the national anthem played. That was great. Bas,Semmy Schilit,and Rampage talking about getting their mojo.
Rickson growing concerend as Saku dispatched Royler.
Coleman going out of control after losing to Fedor.
Heath Herring and Nog having an epic fight.
Rampage saying f*$*k the UFC.
Dana losing what hair he had left as Rampage manhandled Chuck in what was probably the best MMA event of all time.
Frye vs Takiyama. Pure guts!
Igor Vovchanchyn

Damnit,why did it have to end?
tn_rebel
7/30/11 7:06:48PM

Posted by mrsmiley

To me,Pride will always be the best. Period.

I'm not sure if I can pick one greatest moment though perhaps I may give it to Crocop and Fedor. I believe that was truley the first MMA superfight in the heavy weight division. No one thought it would happen after Fedor broke his hand. They kept saying he was ducking CC,the high kick was going to kill him,etc. Then what do you know? Not only does Fedor eat the kick,he delivers one of his own! Classic example of how Fedor fights his opponents fight and demoralizes them in the process.

Saku vs Newton was an amazing fight. When it comes to straight grappling,that fight is probably still the best MMA fight in my opinion. Or when Rampage was talking on his cellphone before fighting Wandy as the national anthem played. That was great. Bas,Semmy Schilit,and Rampage talking about getting their mojo.
Rickson growing concerend as Saku dispatched Royler.
Coleman going out of control after losing to Fedor.
Heath Herring and Nog having an epic fight.
Rampage saying f*$*k the UFC.
Dana losing what hair he had left as Rampage manhandled Chuck in what was probably the best MMA event of all time.
Frye vs Takiyama. Pure guts!

Igor Vovchanchyn

Damnit,why did it have to end?

Because the UFC sank their battleship!