take look. need advice.

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » take look. need advice.
derekcalado
12/19/07 8:01:08PM
i was originally going to fight on dec 22, and i had to be 159 at most to fight. im 163 now (started at 174ish). the fight got changed to the last saturday in january. my question is whether i should try to be 159 in january or should i get to 150.

another thing is he is pretty good at jujitsu, and a poor striker. my ground game has improved dramaticly and im pretty confident with it. but my base is boxing. i was wondering if i should try out my new skills or stick with my base.
babalu2720
12/19/07 8:59:04PM

Posted by derekcalado

i was originally going to fight on dec 22, and i had to be 159 at most to fight. im 163 now (started at 174ish). the fight got changed to the last saturday in january. my question is whether i should try to be 159 in january or should i get to 150.

another thing is he is pretty good at jujitsu, and a poor striker. my ground game has improved dramaticly and im pretty confident with it. but my base is boxing. i was wondering if i should try out my new skills or stick with my base.

I'm no fighter and I don't train, but common sense tells me stick with ur guns(boxing) and play to your advantage. Don't play in his world. I'm sure subbing him would make u feel more accomplished, but you would feel worse if you got subbed.Good Luck to a fellow MA native!!!
Svartorm
12/19/07 9:47:18PM
Is this a pro fight (getting paid) or an amateur fight (not getting paid)? If its pro, don't **** around. Just take the dude out and be done with it. If its amateur and you want to test yourself, try going to the ground once you've knocked him around a bit and see how you fare. That would be my advice.
loonytnt
12/20/07 12:18:58AM
if this is your first fight, you need to stand with him, im a fighter and you need to siick with what you do best. dont test new things in the cage. if you go to the ground and he is good at JJ you need to get up.

i always say a great fighter in the gym fights good in the cage, a good fighter in the gym fights poor in the cage, train hard work your ground game a lot so you dont freak if it goes to the ground, but train your stand up just as much. good luck and train hard
derekcalado
12/20/07 4:16:00PM
its not a pro its a amateur, nothing special