A Look At The UFC 149 Changes That Have Ravaged The Card

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » A Look At The UFC 149 Changes That Have Ravaged The Card
Budgellism
6/17/12 9:43:30PM
Let's take a look at how the card looked on May 9th, the day that the UFC officially announced the main and co-main events:

Jose Aldo vs. Erik Koch [FW title]
Mauricio Rua vs. Thiago Silva
Michael Bisping vs. Tim Boetsch
Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira vs. Cheick Kongo
Siyar Bahadurzada vs. Thiago Alves

So fight fans, here's how the Calgary main card looks right now:

Urijah Faber vs. Renan Barao [Interim BW title]
Hector Lombard vs. Tim Boetsch
Shawn Jordan vs. Cheick Kongo
Siyar Bahadurzada vs. Chris Clements
Court McGee vs. Nick Ring

LINK
2hotty
6/17/12 9:51:29PM
Weak sauce
infestructure
6/17/12 9:58:57PM

Insane. The card looked great, and now...

Who certifies that a fighter is injured? The fighter's own doctor?

The UFC should have it's own nazi doctors to check up on fighters. Stealth X-rays and all.
Samps
6/17/12 10:09:49PM
RAGE
hashyandy4
6/17/12 10:11:24PM
This really sucks
spang714
6/17/12 10:11:37PM

Posted by infestructure

Insane. The card looked great, and now...

Who certifies that a fighter is injured? The fighter's own doctor?

The UFC should have it's own nazi doctors to check up on fighters. Stealth X-rays and all.

except for the nazi part

Ive never thought about the UFC actually checking on these injuries...surely they do something to check when a fighter wants to pull out
Twenty20Dollars
6/17/12 10:14:57PM
Well it looks alright/decent considering the whole main card is changed b/c of the injuries. Meaning that they scraped together some decent matchups despite the rash of injuries.

I wonder what the last card was that had all it's original fights on it, with no replacements.
JLS1980
6/17/12 10:38:58PM
With the exception of Faber vs. Barao and Lombard vs Boetsch this main card looks like some prelims. Still looking forward to a few of these matchups but definately took a hit.
FastKnockout
6/17/12 10:40:11PM
I'm still excited, just not as much. The main and co-main are decent scraps and I just want to see Siyar back in the cage as soon as possible.
frizzzlecake
6/17/12 11:22:42PM
Still fun fights, and easier picks now?
Chael_Sonnen
6/17/12 11:34:04PM
"Fans" can be soooo fickle!

Have you ever seen a typical fight card for a Boxing ppv? You would be lucky to know 2 fighters.....

The worst MMA fight card is better than any NBA, NFL, MLB, NHL game.
DrivenDavies15
6/18/12 12:10:07AM
Can anyone else remember the last UFC main card that changed this dramatically? UFC 108 and 133 were pretty crazy too if I remember
Bubbles
6/18/12 12:14:26AM
went from epic card to decent PPV
FlashyG
6/18/12 12:17:11AM
Its very weak on paper, but we've all seen cards that looked great beforehand turn out as duds and weaker cards ending up quite entertaining.

Hopefully some of those guys who aren't used to getting time on main cards put on a show in an attempt to raise their profile.

Something tells me this card will have a higher number of people watching on streams though.
tcunningham
6/18/12 12:19:16AM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

"Fans" can be soooo fickle!

Have you ever seen a typical fight card for a Boxing ppv? You would be lucky to know 2 fighters.....

mr sonnen has got it right. but i will agree t hat this card has taken a bad turn.
gartface
6/18/12 12:32:04AM
I'd argue that the Barao and Faber fight is going to be more competitive, and a more entertaining contest to watch than Aldo vs. Koch.
Franklinfan47
6/18/12 12:55:40AM

Posted by Budgellism

Let's take a look at how the card looked on May 9th, the day that the UFC officially announced the main and co-main events:

LINK

This was originally Yoshihiro Akiyama vs Thiago Alves
george112
6/18/12 1:10:12AM
I really don't mind all the changes.

I just take the cards as they come knowing ill eventually see the fighters I want to.

Also you never know what could happen. Example being a fight that was switched could turn into a blockbuster fight that could have never happened
DoTheMMAth
6/18/12 1:17:26AM

Posted by FlashyG

Its very weak on paper, but we've all seen cards that looked great beforehand turn out as duds and weaker cards ending up quite entertaining.

Hopefully some of those guys who aren't used to getting time on main cards put on a show in an attempt to raise their profile.

Something tells me this card will have a higher number of people watching on streams though.

Troof! I seem to enjoy fight nights over ppv's a lot for that unpredictability and guys looking to make their name.
lohmann
6/18/12 2:19:14AM
I bet Dana and Joe cry a little bit each time a phone rings.

At least the biggest fight of the summer has remained injury-free. My bet is that the UFC has forced Sonnen and Silva into padded rooms. Maybe some cryopreservation until fight time.
DrivenDavies15
6/18/12 2:43:31AM

Posted by Franklinfan47

Posted by Budgellism

LINK

If you read the article it says that Akiyama was pulled May 8th and the main card was officially announced on May 9th
prozacnation1978
6/18/12 3:16:15AM
Shit take a title fight away from Ufc 148

They should have just taken bader vs machida

And had the Damm main event shogun vs bader
Then Ufc fox main event machida vs Phil Davis.

What are they smoking over there
Budgellism
6/18/12 5:51:50AM

Posted by DrivenDavies15

Posted by Franklinfan47

Posted by Budgellism

LINK

If you read the article it says that Akiyama was pulled May 8th and the main card was officially announced on May 9th

Beat me to it
Sir_Karl
6/18/12 7:42:15AM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

You forgot to include "In my opinion" at the beginning of this statement....because that is all it is....your opinion.
Dberntson
6/18/12 11:27:11AM
Compared to 147, this card looks like UFC 100 on paper. UFC 147 blows.
airkerma
6/18/12 3:44:03PM

Posted by Sir_Karl

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

You forgot to include "In my opinion" at the beginning of this statement....because that is all it is....your opinion.

i think he is mostly correct, but the 60 buckaroo buy in would be the most compelling argument in favor of those other sports.
TeamDEY
6/18/12 5:17:16PM
ouch
Chael_Sonnen
6/18/12 6:48:10PM

Posted by Sir_Karl

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Listen bud.....

When The Voice of Reason says it's a fact and not an opinion, it's a fact.
Card
6/19/12 1:38:22PM
UFC 149 poster