what do you think about lombard and mcgee desicions ?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » what do you think about lombard and mcgee desicions ?
aussiemma
7/22/12 9:31:27AM
i dont understand how tim boetsch and nick ring won ?
lombard didn't do much i know but he did land the better strikes and he did take boetsch down. Mcgee vs ring decision was a joke ! your thoughts ?
BeeR
7/22/12 10:02:13AM
boetch had a game plan.
lombard had a brain fart.
kopower
7/22/12 10:12:19AM
Nick Ring by UD was crazy. I could see a SD, just for the damage he did, but I was shocked that all three judges gave him the fight.

As for the Lombard/Boetsch fight, not sure how Tim won 2 rounds. I could give him the first, but not the 2nd and 3rd. Don't know why Lombard wasn't more aggressive.
aussiemma
7/22/12 10:33:14AM

Posted by kopower

Nick Ring by UD was crazy. I could see a SD, just for the damage he did, but I was shocked that all three judges gave him the fight.

As for the Lombard/Boetsch fight, not sure how Tim won 2 rounds. I could give him the first, but not the 2nd and 3rd. Don't know why Lombard wasn't more aggressive.

i just figured lombard was scared of gassing thats why he didnt want to move so much ?

nick ring is really lucky he has been given two fights as wins that he clearly lost i.e riki fukuda and now court mcgee
DosBox
7/22/12 10:37:50AM
Im trying again to remember the majority of hardcore fans criteria of 'what scores a takedown' just to try and get some consistency about the 'scoring' criteria.

The Lombard takedown in the 3rd round I wouldnt consider to count for much. The point in which Lombard took Boetsch down was 0:27 left in the 3rd round, the point in which Boetsch was on his feet again was 0:22 left in the 3rd round the time in between Lombard didnt throw any GnP (nor did he really have a position to control, him Boetsch was up he kneed Lombard in the gut a few times until the fight was over.

I am completely perplexed as to how this was considered a 'ROBBERY'. You could argue for Lombard, but you could argue for Boetsch considering not too much happened.

Take it for what its worth of course, but here are the fightmetric stats Boetsch/Lombard stats

The sheer volume of Boetsch strikes in relation to Lombards single strike attack made it a little more cloudy or even subjective to a point of what was scored more. I felt Boetsch won the first round due to nothing really significant happened, while Boetsch was a little more active. Lombard won the second round. The third round IMO would be the round of 'what you score more'.
Boetsch had the more significant strikes... but i've heard the questioning of what is considered a 'significant strike' . Lombard had a takedown, but I question the consideration of the takedown due to Boetsch being able to pop back up within a 5 second period.

I read similar posts (regarding fights in a general sense) that have the sentiment of "oh fighter X didnt do anything with the takedown, it shouldnt be scored significantly" Likewise, I've read multiple posts (regarding fights in a general sense) of "oh, fighter X handed more, but fighter Y landed the harder strikes.. that should count more for fighter Y". You can see the subjectivity of the aforementioned arguments

Now I think one portion of the fight that gets overlooked is the clinch.
When clinched up, Lombard stuck Boetsch on the fence.... Boetsch outlanded him with knees to the body even though Hector had 'control' what do people score more? The control, or the landing shots in that regard? (I've heard cases for both).

Simply put, this fight shouldnt have the word 'robbery' thrown around as loosely as it is.

EDIT ---- As for the Ring/McGee fight.

I bet a good amount of actual money on Ring winning. I thought there was on outside chance that he could cash in on a 29-28 decision, but felt that McGee 'should have' won. I am happy with the decision from a monetary standpoint though : D but not necessarily from an 'absolute pure sport' standpoint.

MALICE
7/22/12 10:44:02AM
Since Ring entered the Ultimate Fighter house, I feel he has been awarded several decisions he did not deserve. He always looks spent after the second round. Tonight is another perfect example.

I think Lombard should have won the decision 29-28, but this fight is another perfect example of a fighter trying to coast to a win. Lombard chose to fight this fight by strictly counter punching. Lombard stood on a swivel while Boetcsh danced around him. Although I do not agree with the decision, Lombard's lack of engagement was justly rewarded with a loss.
JLS1980
7/22/12 11:03:16AM

Posted by kopower

I knew going in that the Ring/Magee fight was gonna be super close so I took Ring SD. At the end of the fight I was like damn I think Magee might have won that one. And the Boetsch/Lombard fight was probably more boring than Kongo/Jordan. Lombard really didn't show any since of urgency and with all the hype of Lombard entering the UFC he really didn't live up to it at all.
Twenty20Dollars
7/22/12 11:11:59AM
Not good judging all night.
FastKnockout
7/22/12 12:30:10PM
I thought McGee won the fight. Ring did damage Court's nose pretty good but it was always only 1-2 shots while Court on the other hand was chasing Nick and did his best to try and finish the fight.

1st - Ring

2nd - McGee

3rd - McGee
tcunningham
7/22/12 1:32:53PM
i didnt see the lombard fight but the ring/mcgee fight was an outrage. i think ring won the 2nd by a very very close margin, but i think mcgee cemented his win in the 3rd. he kind of screwed up by ending on bottom but a good judge would have overlooked that by the beating he gave ring for the majority of the round. i was pissed to see he lost by UD
sparky
7/22/12 1:35:41PM
Lombard clearly won that fight I could believe my ears when they said split and then they said Boetsch I was like

FlashyG
7/22/12 1:44:26PM
Fightmetric stats for both fights.

Boetsch v Lombard

Ring vs McGee

After watching the fights and looking at the stats after the fact I'm not sure what the controversy is in the Lombard fight. He just got outworked. I wouldn't have complained if it was scored 30-27 for Boetsch, although I had it 29-28 for him.

The other fight was a bit more controversial, it all came down to the 2nd round.
The first was clearly Rings, the third even more emphatic for McGee. I think the amount of shots McGee missed with ultimately hurt him in the judges eyes.

In round by round scoring I think Ring won the fight, but if you were judging the fight on the whole, I think it was McGee's thanks to his dominant 3rd round.

All things considered I don't feel this event was poorly judged.
prozacnation1978
7/22/12 1:57:30PM
I had mcgee and lombard both winning 29-28 at least
shaneTpain
7/22/12 2:03:01PM
Ring won the first & second rounds. Avoiding everything Court threw at him & crunching Courts nose with hard straight lefts the full ten minutes. Court won the 3rd & only barely with his pitter-patter flurries. Easy as that for your simple asses.
FastKnockout
7/22/12 2:24:37PM

Posted by shaneTpain

Ring won the first & second rounds. Avoiding everything Court threw at him & crunching Courts nose with hard straight lefts the full ten minutes. Court won the 3rd & only barely with his pitter-patter flurries. Easy as that for your simple asses.

Court barely won the 3rd? The whole round was Court with Ring trying his best to get away.

EDIT: And to think we share similar avatars!
Chael_Sonnen
7/22/12 2:26:02PM
Nick and Tim CLEARLY won......the better fighters won.....put some chapstick on your asses and move on.
shaneTpain
7/22/12 2:48:06PM

Court barely won the 3rd? The whole round was Court with Ring trying his best to get away.

EDIT: And to think we share similar avatars!

no disrespect my Mayhem brother but Court should of hit harder. Plus when the 3rd round ended who was in top position? The Promise Ring!!! ( okay so his nickname is gay.. I'll give ya that.)
Franklinfan47
7/22/12 3:25:50PM

Posted by FlashyG

Boetsch v Lombard

Ring vs McGee

After watching the fights and looking at the stats after the fact I'm not sure what the controversy is in the Lombard fight. He just got outworked. I wouldn't have complained if it was scored 30-27 for Boetsch, although I had it 29-28 for him.

The other fight was a bit more controversial, it all came down to the 2nd round.
The first was clearly Rings, the third even more emphatic for McGee. I think the amount of shots McGee missed with ultimately hurt him in the judges eyes.

In round by round scoring I think Ring won the fight, but if you were judging the fight on the whole, I think it was McGee's thanks to his dominant 3rd round.

jjeans
7/22/12 3:42:24PM
I thought Nick Ring won 30-24, 10-7, 10-8, 10-9? What fight were you watching?
Aether
7/22/12 3:45:26PM

Posted by FlashyG

Boetsch v Lombard

Ring vs McGee

Can't prop you, but this 100%. I think both cases were fights where 1 guy landed more shots, but the other guy did clearly more damage with the shots he landed. Depends on what you think is more important, and Ring/McGee was one of the rare fights where I think either fighter winning would've been a justifiable decision.
infestructure
7/22/12 4:55:59PM
I picked Ring but didn't think he won.

I picked Lombard and thought 'neither guy really won this'
Pookie
7/22/12 10:40:39PM
I thought Boetsch and Ring would get the Judges cards. Based on what the judges score.

bjj1605
7/24/12 12:28:52AM
I thought Nick Ring won the first two rounds. He got beat up pretty bad in the 3rd but not bad enough for a 10-8. That's what sucks about the judging system. Barely win two rounds and then majorly drop one and you still win the fight.

Lombard vs Boetsch was weird though. I thought Lombard won, even if not impressively. Lombard didn't do much but Boetsch barely did anything at all.

Lombard at least landed a hard punch here and there and scored a few takedowns. Boetsch basically just back pedaled and threw flicking kicks.
Bubbles
7/24/12 12:34:47AM
I think they were scoring way too many leg kicks as "significant strikes" when none of them really did anything to Lombard